Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default Dish TV

I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-04-25, cj wrote:

house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home.......

Have you conisder having a lobotomy. Probably more entertaining.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:21:52 -0400, cj wrote:

I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

Have you thought of asking these questions to Dish?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2013 2:04 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:21:52 -0400, cj wrote:

I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

Have you thought of asking these questions to Dish?????

a.o-s.comcast guys would probably give an opinion.
I'm surprised that dish does not have an ng.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:41:36 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 4/25/2013 2:04 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:21:52 -0400, cj wrote:

I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

Have you thought of asking these questions to Dish?????

a.o-s.comcast guys would probably give an opinion.
I'm surprised that dish does not have an ng.

Usenet doesn't have one but there is one at Dslreports.com
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cover,2910

Dslreports has some pretty useful forums for broadband and satellite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 12:21 pm, cj wrote:
I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

The latest DISH receiver has an input for regular broadcast TV in
addition to the input from the satellite dish. Consequently, for no
additional
money, you can get the broadcast channels in your area AND
their subchannels, which DISH doesn't provide with their
satellite link...... You need a regular, old style TV antenna to
do this.
You will need a DISH receiver for each TV set, which acts like
the monitor, tho you can use a channel splitter and split a
single DISH receiver output to several TV sets, but you will
only have one remote for each receiver used.

DISH remotes are now infrared, instead of RF, so you can't
go "thru walls" and use a remote in bedroom 2 to control
the receiver which may be located elsewhere. However, there
are "infrared to RF" links available for around $50, which will
allow you to do the "thru wall" operation, and they are very
easy to add.
I don't know whether your existing cables are acceptable for
DISH, but if they have to be changed, they can be taped and
pulled --- lots easier than drilling new holes --- and in any case,
the new DISH installation is free, or was a year ago......
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.satelliteguys.us

a wealth of info on dish and direct tv..

dish is about to have a big increase on their DVR fees again

I dropped dish and went to comcast triple play when dish raised my
extra receiver fees from 6 dollars to 17 bucks per month

I bouht a tivo with lifetime service and a cablecard and am very
happy......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:21:52 -0400, cj wrote:

I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

I wouldn't give one cent of my money to that crooked company (Dish).
Just my opinion!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:21:52 -0400, cj wrote:

I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

You will need a box for each TV. You may want to consider DirecTV
too. In fact, if you got that way I can give you my account number and
we both save $100.

I do save a few bucks with DirecTV and it has more HD channels and
more of the ones I watch. They have a new DVR that can record 5 shows
at once and you can watch them on any TV in the house.

IMO, they are all over priced, but I've been very happy with DTV for a
few years now. Our cable company really sucked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 6:24*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:21:52 -0400, cj wrote:
I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

I wouldn't give one cent of my money to that crooked company (Dish).
Just my opinion!

Years ago I was a dish supporter and loved how charlie reinvented TV.
I was a dealer, and even attended a satellite launch as a VIP, got to
meet jim & Charlie

But then charlie turned over day to day operations to the suits who
increased costs all around.... for better profits.

For instance much higher DVR, extra receiver fees, and since they
kinda force you to RENT your equiptement they make you PAY to return
leased equiptement.... 25 nbucks at last report, if you refuse to pay
for the return they will charge you hundreds for non return and ruin
your credit...

Plus when your signing up for service and agreeing to a CONTRACT they
wouldnt warn you costs are going up in as little as 2 days. Yet they
hold you to the contract

They have become customer unfriendly and years ago if you had troubles
Dish would give you a credit on your bill... Thats ended when the
suits took over...

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have
a few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only
new cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the
other tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the
tv..( no cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited
channels. Will I still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I
will have a DVR supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

What everybody else said *PLUS* be prepared for *no* TV when it rains or
snows south of you even if it isn't nearby.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/26/2013 8:17 AM, dadiOH wrote:
cj wrote:
I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have
a few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only
new cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the
other tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the
tv..( no cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited
channels. Will I still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I
will have a DVR supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

What everybody else said *PLUS* be prepared for *no* TV when it rains or
snows south of you even if it isn't nearby.

I've heard their internet sucks too.

Things heating up around here.

I have access to Comcast cable with triple play and also have phone
lines on FIOS.

FIOS rep was actually knocking at door while I was reading this thread
yesterday. I brushed him off but later he came back down the street
while I was doing yard work and I talked to him.

Of course the beauty of FIOS is a single optical cable to each house and
Comcast splits signals so when everybody comes home in the evening
internet will slow down. He also mentioned that Google is getting into
the business and will also used fiber optics.

Competition is good. My neighbor across the street switches back and
forth from FIOS to Comcast taking special offers and switching when they
expire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/25/2013 07:25 PM, bob haller wrote:

Plus when your signing up for service and agreeing to a CONTRACT they
wouldnt warn you costs are going up in as little as 2 days. Yet they
hold you to the contract

And that, right there, is why I will never give a dime to those *******s.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2013 10:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I would read the below site before suggesting DTV. I was thinking about
it to replace my cable co. until I checked the below, and now I wouldn't
recommend it to my worst enemy.
YMMV!!!
http://www.complaintslist.com/2013/directv-wth/

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:31:47 -0400, willshak
wrote:

[...]

I've had both Dish and DTV recently. Of the two (no cable available),
DTV is definitely the better system. They have better hardware and
it's far more reliable with fewer "oddities". The Dish hardware
really sucks. That said, I'd probably switch to cable if I had the
option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 10:21*am, cj wrote:
I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

we're on Directv, very glad during those 'negotatiation' times. Seems
that the favorite stations of the customers were removed for over two
- three months while Dish talked with the suppliers. I'd be livid over
that one.

Watch out for satellite suppliers, they have their marketing
priroities backwards:
New customers? What do you want we'll supply it for free for ummmm
Old customers? We'll raise rates on this and that, but not by much so
you don't notice.
If they're not carefful they're going to end up with a lot of
abandoned equipment out there.

Plus, I still can't get what I want! I was spoiled that used to
receive over 66 channels for free on rabbit ears. Including Korean
broadcasting and films. Great treat if you haven't seen that genre.

One positive note, the DVD HD they supply is incredible. fast forward,
hit play, and there is a small amount of step back to start where you
meant, not where you hit play. We simply record everything, then fast
forward through the 33% overhead of commercials.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2013 1:21 PM, cj wrote:
I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

I'll stick to answering your question. I have Dish and have the older
722 DVR. It has 2 tuners. I use one at the main watching location for
HD on a 47" flatscreen via an HDMI connection. The other tuner is for
whatever ... remote watching, recording to DVR. There is an RF output
which I've connected to all the other TVs (non HD) in the house through
splitters and/or amps. For 'remote' use, the 2nd remote(s) are RF so
that they work anywhere in the house. We have one of these RF remotes
near each TV. There are only 2 of us in the house, so it works ok for
us. You do, however, have to be aware of what the tuners are doing,
i.e. if the DVR is recording 2 programs, you are basically out of luck
watching a 3rd program live. You can be recording 2 shows on the DVR
and simultaneously watching 2 other shows, previously recorded on the
DVR, or even 'chase watch' a show while it is recording. But, as I
said, only 2 shows streaming over the satellite at one time. In
addition Dish offers some shows to be streamed from the Internet to you
computer, etc. Now, if you use their Hopper unit (read, more $$$), you
can do much more. It is a nice product, but for us, not worth the money
.... you can, from the way I understand it, get full HD at up to 4
locations and there is even a function that allows you to watch certain
programs with automatically skipped commercials.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 05:37:57 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 04/25/2013 07:25 PM, bob haller wrote:

Plus when your signing up for service and agreeing to a CONTRACT they
wouldnt warn you costs are going up in as little as 2 days. Yet they
hold you to the contract

And that, right there, is why I will never give a dime to those *******s.

Jon

Same here....
They have these (annoying) commercials on TV, where they state that you
cna get all these things for $29.99 per month. That dont sound like
such a bad deal, because some people pay more than that just for the
internet. But that's just a scam to sucker people into signing their
contract. From someone who I know, who actually got their service, that
$29.99 is just the service. There are other costs that they dont
mention, which are required to use their service. But it dont end
there. That $29.99 is just the introductory price. After a certain
amount of time, the price almost triples. And since they got you locked
into a contract, you have little choice but to pay it, or pay extreme
penalties. The person I mentioned ended up paying close to $100 per
month after the introduction.

Personally, I wont deal with ANY companies that require contracts for
services such as this. That includes TV, internet, and cellphone. I
use prepaid cellphone, internet paid per month, and my tv signal comes
from my roof antenna.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Oh wow, what a truly evil company. They have introductory rates
that are lower for the first year..... After that they go up.
Who would have thunk that?

Let's see, if I triple it, that makes it $90 a month. That's about
$25 less than I'm
paying for cable and internet......

Personally, I wont deal with ANY companies that require contracts for
services such as this. *That includes TV, internet, and cellphone. *I
use prepaid cellphone, internet paid per month, and my tv signal comes
from my roof antenna.

Typically, no contract is required unless you want to take advantage
of
the special rates. For example, I have no contract with my cable
company
for TV or internet. If you're a new customer and you want the
discounted
rate, then you have to keep the service for a year. If you don't you
pay the
difference. I can quit at any time with no penalty. Same with most
cell phone companies.
If you want to use your own phone or buy one of theirs at full price,
you can do so.
If you want a $250 phone for FREE, or a $300 one for just $50, then
yes,
the contract for that is that you have to keep the service for 2
years.
If you don't then you have to pay the difference. Geez... what do
you expect?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would read the below site before suggesting DTV. I was thinking about
it to replace my cable co. until I checked the below, and now I wouldn't
recommend it to my worst enemy.
YMMV!!!
http://www.complaintslist.com/2013/directv-wth/

Yes, but out cable company sucks even more. DTV is still better. I
think every cable company and SAT company is on the crap list for
complaints.

Now that you bring it up, I just sent an email to complain about the
sports fee. I told them to eliminate the fee and the sports channels.
I don't watch them and I don't want to subsidize them. Wonder what
the reply will be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:17:15 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

What everybody else said *PLUS* be prepared for *no* TV when it rains or
snows south of you even if it isn't nearby.

I've been through a few snowy winters, thunderstorms and heavy rain.
In one rain storm, I had some pixilation for a few minutes. My cable
company used to drop out when the humidity was more than 25%.

Even in a blizzard with 70 mph gusts and 28" snowfall, no loss of
signal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 3:19*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I have a satellite dish. The LNB (bit in the middle of the dish) is
an amplifier/frequency changer device powered from the TV/Adaptor box.

If you want more than one TV you can get an LNB with multiple outlets,
I have seen up to four,

You will need to decide what satellite to point your dish at.

You can get an el-cheapo satellite meter to detect the signals and set
up your own dish very cheaply. Almost impossible to do this by
guesswork/trial and error.
The dish setting is very critical.

You will have to find out what size dish you need.
The further North you are, the bigger dish you need (further from geo-
stationary satellites).

You will then beable to receive hundreds of channels.
Even Al quaeda has a channel (Aljazeera).
Chinese Japanese French Brit German Russian.
All in English.
Makes a change from the Hollywood/Fox News lies.
See some different lies.

Snow on the dish/LNB can cause a signal problem if it freezes on .
Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW there are both free and encoded (pay) channels.
The pay is only slightly more interesting.

The footprint of the satellite is pretty tight these days, if you want
something exotic, you need a really big dish.

There are ways to illegally break encoded channels too.

There are good documentaries/news on free foreign channels (usually
with an agenda.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another thing.
You get get arrays with multiple LNBs that can work off more then one
satellite.
A bit more difficult to set up.

Also you an can dish motor drives to move the dish from one satellite
to another.
Then instead of a hundred channels of ****e, you can get thousands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would read the below site before suggesting DTV. I was thinking about
it to replace my cable co. until I checked the below, and now I wouldn't
recommend it to my worst enemy.
YMMV!!!
http://www.complaintslist.com/2013/directv-wth/

Yes, but out cable company sucks even more. *DTV is still better. I
think every cable company and SAT company is on the crap list for
complaints.

Now that you bring it up, I just sent an email to complain about the
sports fee. *I told them to eliminate the fee and the sports channels.
I don't watch them and I don't want to subsidize them. * Wonder what
the reply will be.

true, of the 880+ channels they tout we watch around 12 channels. you
cannot believe how irritating it is to keep stumbling over shpping,
sports, and ?? excuses to have cameras on some idiot. At least it's
possible to make up a 'personal' list, to make the TV Guide short.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Being able to add and delete channels on the list could be improved if
they would allow you to just delete a channel from the lineup without
having to go in to a menu mode to do it. The remote should just have
a delete button.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course the beauty of FIOS is a single optical cable to each house.....

My Mom and mother in law have FIOS for TV, telephone, and Internet.
Last year during hurricane Sandy when the power went out (for two weeks)
the internet and TV service auto shut down at the demarc box in the
house so as not to tax the little 7 amp hour back up battery used for
phone service. That little battery lasted less than a day using it for
the telephone only. Cellphone service was down, so no telephone service
of any type for them until the power was turned back on two weeks later.
Verizon also has been a pain in neck in getting the monthly bill
straight. They kept "forgetting" what each had signed up for and what
discounts and promos they had, requiring a monthly phone call to their
billing people every month to straighten it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now that you bring it up, I just sent an email to complain about the
sports fee.

DTV thinks the only reason people sign up for service is for sports.
I have no need for any of the sports stations or the holy rollers or the
non stop infomercials.
Get rid of them all and save some bandwidth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

true, of the 880+ channels they tout we watch around 12 channels. you
cannot believe how irritating it is to keep stumbling over shpping,
sports, and ?? excuses to have cameras on some idiot. At least it's
possible to make up a 'personal' list, to make the TV Guide short.

DTV keeps moving channels around and changing the lineup and the channel
names change, making it difficult to keep the guide configured for what
you prefer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2013 2:36 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

Of course the beauty of FIOS is a single optical cable to each house.....

My Mom and mother in law have FIOS for TV, telephone, and Internet.
Last year during hurricane Sandy when the power went out (for two weeks)
the internet and TV service auto shut down at the demarc box in the
house so as not to tax the little 7 amp hour back up battery used for
phone service. That little battery lasted less than a day using it for
the telephone only. Cellphone service was down, so no telephone service
of any type for them until the power was turned back on two weeks later.
Verizon also has been a pain in neck in getting the monthly bill
straight. They kept "forgetting" what each had signed up for and what
discounts and promos they had, requiring a monthly phone call to their
billing people every month to straighten it out.

I don't think Verizon service has ever been very good. I was having
repeated problems with their old copper lines and sometimes it would
take a week to fix. Don't think service is better with FIOS. I've got
a generator so the FIOS line and battery put in to replace the copper
would not be a problem. Comcast service is somewhat better and
apparently less problem to get initial offers reinstated when they expire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 3:14*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:55:47 -0400, Frank

wrote:
I don't think Verizon service has ever been very good. *I was having
repeated problems with their old copper lines and sometimes it would
take a week to fix. *Don't think service is better with FIOS. *I've got
a generator so the FIOS line and battery put in to replace the copper
would not be a problem. *Comcast service is somewhat better and
apparently less problem to get initial offers reinstated when they expire.

I think that is just aging infrastructure and no incentive to fix it.
When Sprint was providing dial tone here they did an extensive build
out with fiber a backbone in the ground and buried new copper to the
Dmark at the house. Our POTS is rock solid now and it is Comcast that
is the one that is down all the time. I ditched cable years ago for
Dish and DSL but my wife still has it at the club and it still sucks.

I had FIOS, for phone and internet TV hadnt rolled out yet. Phone
had troubles that took 3 months to fix, finally traced to a bad router
at their central office, the back up battery failed at 3 monts old,
they wanted me to pay for a new battery.. I refused and finally got a
new one, topok 2 weeks of their box alarming . in a new fios served
area the calls, salespeople visits at dinner time and junk mail
approaches harrasement. I was under contract and they said its against
company policy to let you out even if the service doesnt work......
when my contract was up I dropped fios and moved my remaining lines
back to copper. sent them registered letters to quit calling me to
sell me anything......

it was peaceful for awhile and the calls started again so I dropped my
business line outgoing call package. the idiots cancelled my business
line twice..

So I dropped everything verizon and had a lawyer send them a letter to
never contact me again...

When the calls and sales visits started again, I called and complained
loudly to have all the fios stuff and copper removed, or I would cut
it down myself.

They dragged their feet but did finally remove it, the tech said
others were having theirs removed too.

the verizon road techs were great but their office staff sucks, are
unfriendly and abusive....

verizon wired is shrinking bad one day they will sell off the rest of
the the wired side.....

a geat example of rotten service, be on the phone with a rep, at 5pm
the phones automatically get shut off.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

my comcast phone has been rock solid, and so has the tv and internet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:45:01 -0400, Steve Stone
wrote:

true, of the 880+ channels they tout we watch around 12 channels. you
cannot believe how irritating it is to keep stumbling over shpping,
sports, and ?? excuses to have cameras on some idiot. At least it's
possible to make up a 'personal' list, to make the TV Guide short.

DTV keeps moving channels around and changing the lineup and the channel
names change, making it difficult to keep the guide configured for what
you prefer.

I've only had DTV for about a year but I haven't noticed any channels
change. Maybe I just don't watch "The Bait Network" or "The
Infomercial Network" so don't notice those changes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:43:05 -0400, Steve Stone
wrote:

Now that you bring it up, I just sent an email to complain about the
sports fee.

DTV thinks the only reason people sign up for service is for sports.
I have no need for any of the sports stations or the holy rollers or the
non stop infomercials.
Get rid of them all and save some bandwidth.

So you can pay more?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've always believed that Verizon still maintains that old telephone
mentality where they were a monopoly and the only game in town, take it
or leave it. Their customer service sucks.

I also tried to get off their junk mail list but I still get at least
one letter a week from them trying to get me to convert fully to FIOS.

I had a horrible time with AT&T several years ago where they cancelled
my service on my business line due to an unpaid long distance bill.
Phone was in my house but bill was paid by a company I consult for.
When they called me, they refused to talk to me because they wanted to
talk to the person responsible for the bill. It was maddening. They
harassed me to the point of considering taking them to magistrates court
but when I asked the court about suing on a federal law they referred me
to the state ag's office who got them to stop. I cancelled their
service on my home phone line and cancelled my credit card with them.
Afterwards they kept dunning me with letters to restart the service and
they would give me $40. AT&T was clueless and so is their offspring,
Verizon, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This pertains to Dish Tv, how???

since tv is now bundled with phone and internet, and fios can provide
all 3.

its on topic and all related

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

true, of the 880+ channels they tout we watch around 12 channels. you
cannot believe how irritating it is to keep stumbling over shpping,
sports, and ?? excuses to have cameras on some idiot. At least it's
possible to make up a 'personal' list, to make the TV Guide short.

DTV keeps moving channels around and changing the lineup and the channel
names change, making it difficult to keep the guide configured for what
you prefer.

I've not seen that. They have recently added some HD channels though.
With all the stuff there is to watch in my free time, my only choices
are HD. Aside from the news, 99% of what we watch is pre-recorded so
we can skip the commercials.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aside from the news, 99% of what we watch is pre-recorded so
we can skip the commercials.

I HEAR YOU!

We too rarely watch live TV....

even the national news is recorded so I dont miss it...

I will start watching about 10 minutes late, and skip thru commercials
till the end. doing this gets tons of tme back for my life.

My first DVR was the original dishplayer, I upgraded to TIVO and am
very happy with it. ROCK SOLID BUG FREE OPERATION

Something dish was never able to provide

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I get about 20 channels via my antenna. Of those 20, I watch 2 of them
regularly, and may go to another one or two for the local news. Most of
what I see on tv is garbage programming anyhow, with far too many
commercials. Even if there is a decent program on, having to sit thru
15 minutes of insulting commercials, particularly insulting to the
elderly (which I am), I really lose interest in the program and often
just shut off the tv. I have no interest in cable or satellite tv
whatsoever. I have seen it other places and it's just more of the same
junk and a lot more commercials.

I have to be really bored to spend much time in front of the tv, which
is normally in the cold months. But even then, I'm not addicted to tv
enough to spend money for it. While a lot of people are spending close
to $100 a month for their cable/sat tv, I probably avarage $10 a month
to buy DVD movies, which are usually those on closeout at Walmart for
$5, or the really cheap VCR tapes at second hand stores, where I can get
a whole movie for a buck or less. At least with them, I can watch them
without being interrupted every few minutes with commercials, and can
pause them when I have to make dinner or need to do other stuff. Life
is too short to waste 25% of each hour watching idiot commercials trying
to sell me some rip-off life insurance or get me to take viagra or
promote drugs that have so many serious side effects I would not give
them to anything except a rat that I want to poison.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 4/25/2013 1:14 PM, bob haller wrote:
http://www.satelliteguys.us

a wealth of info on dish and direct tv..

dish is about to have a big increase on their DVR fees again

I dropped dish and went to comcast triple play when dish raised my
extra receiver fees from 6 dollars to 17 bucks per month

With satellite TV you really have to alternate between DirecTV and Dish
every two years to keep the average monthly cost at a reasonable level,
(though the price is still way too high).

Our average monthly cost for two televisions on DirecTV with the Hopper
DVR is $48.25 per month once you factor in all the various promotions.
But once the two year contract is over the monthly cost will jump
significantly because not only will all the promotions be over, all the
price increases that the contract prevented will be applied at once. I
think that by the time the two year contract is over our monthly cost
will be $80, at which time I'll switch back to Dish again.

There are essentially no retention programs at the satellite TV
companies. They'll offer a trivial discount if you stay, but it's better
to leave if you don't care about the small differences between the two
providers. Once all the cabling is in place, switching between providers
is pretty painless.

dish washers Stewart[_4_] UK diy 19 December 21st 11 03:48 PM
OT Dish Network RogerN Metalworking 13 October 25th 10 01:42 AM
dish soap.. [email protected] Woodturning 20 July 27th 07 03:57 PM
OT - Nowhere to put Sky dish JoeJoe UK diy 44 August 14th 05 01:42 PM
Dish tv Muff Home Repair 5 November 23rd 04 11:11 PM