Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Dish TV

On 4/25/2013 1:21 PM, cj wrote:
I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a
few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new
cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the
house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other
tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no
cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I
still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR
supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.

Thanks, cj

I'll stick to answering your question. I have Dish and have the older
722 DVR. It has 2 tuners. I use one at the main watching location for
HD on a 47" flatscreen via an HDMI connection. The other tuner is for
whatever ... remote watching, recording to DVR. There is an RF output
which I've connected to all the other TVs (non HD) in the house through
splitters and/or amps. For 'remote' use, the 2nd remote(s) are RF so
that they work anywhere in the house. We have one of these RF remotes
near each TV. There are only 2 of us in the house, so it works ok for
us. You do, however, have to be aware of what the tuners are doing,
i.e. if the DVR is recording 2 programs, you are basically out of luck
watching a 3rd program live. You can be recording 2 shows on the DVR
and simultaneously watching 2 other shows, previously recorded on the
DVR, or even 'chase watch' a show while it is recording. But, as I
said, only 2 shows streaming over the satellite at one time. In
addition Dish offers some shows to be streamed from the Internet to you
computer, etc. Now, if you use their Hopper unit (read, more $$$), you
can do much more. It is a nice product, but for us, not worth the money
.... you can, from the way I understand it, get full HD at up to 4
locations and there is even a function that allows you to watch certain
programs with automatically skipped commercials.