Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Dish TV

On 4/27/2013 2:36 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

Of course the beauty of FIOS is a single optical cable to each house.....

My Mom and mother in law have FIOS for TV, telephone, and Internet.
Last year during hurricane Sandy when the power went out (for two weeks)
the internet and TV service auto shut down at the demarc box in the
house so as not to tax the little 7 amp hour back up battery used for
phone service. That little battery lasted less than a day using it for
the telephone only. Cellphone service was down, so no telephone service
of any type for them until the power was turned back on two weeks later.
Verizon also has been a pain in neck in getting the monthly bill
straight. They kept "forgetting" what each had signed up for and what
discounts and promos they had, requiring a monthly phone call to their
billing people every month to straighten it out.

I don't think Verizon service has ever been very good. I was having
repeated problems with their old copper lines and sometimes it would
take a week to fix. Don't think service is better with FIOS. I've got
a generator so the FIOS line and battery put in to replace the copper
would not be a problem. Comcast service is somewhat better and
apparently less problem to get initial offers reinstated when they expire.