Posted to alt.home.repair

Default small tubes of grease

I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 3:45*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.

Jesus.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2013 3:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

I just fill some small waste containers like little jars.
They don't even need to be air tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2013 12:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

Dollar store has syringes for injecting juice into meat.
The grease will attack the rubber seal on the plunger.
You'll still be able to force it in, but you won't get it back
out.

I use insulin syringes filled with gun oil for fan bearings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2013 12:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range.
Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I

need a tiny bit of grease,
to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle

grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.

How about bicycle grease? It's kind of overpriced, but it fits your
criteria.
http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Wood-3-Ou.../dp/B000WYANAG

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to refill a tube of toothpaste; I do this
all the time for backpacking with the little travel-sized tubes, and
have refilled the same one about a half dozen times already. The
"trick" is to just hold the output (source) tightly against the tube you
want to fill, and squeeze the source tube.

It wouldn't take much effort to do the same with a grease gun and a tube
of toothpaste. The trick here would be cleaning all of the toothpaste
out of the empty tube, but a few shakings with hot water, followed by
drying it out, would supply you with the tube.

Jon

Senior Member

Just as you can buy synthetic motor oils, you can also buy 100% synthetic greases.

THE VERY FIRST fully synthetic grease on the market was Synco's "Super Lube", which came out about 15 years ago and is still an excellent all-around grease to use in all seasons and for all reasons. Synco used to sell Super Lube to other companies, like Permatex, which is a division of the Loctite Company, and those companies would re-sell it, but now they sell it under their own name.

This picture shows a 3 ounce (85 gram) tube. It's about 5 inches tall and 1 3/4 inch wide with a screw top cap.

It also comes in smaller tubes, cartridges for use in a grease gun, tubs and even as a spray can:

It's clear in colour and fairly light in viscosity so far as greases go. If I were looking for an all-purpose grease to keep in a truck or tool box, this is the one I'd go with. I think Sears sells it.

Grease | Oil | Synthetic Lubricants

I first read about Super Lube in a magazine (Popular Mechanics, maybe) and decided to try it to see if it was any good, and it really is a good grease.

Last edited by nestork : April 24th 13 at 10:59 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one
to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once
in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly.
Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Check auto parts stores. They sell small tubes of dielectric grease, white
grease, lithium grease, etc.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=grease

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=grease

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=grease

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for
shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.

Check out your local AutoZone or equivalent auto parts store. What you want
is readily available there.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/2013 5:05 PM, nestork wrote:
Just as you can buy synthetic motor oils, you can also buy 100%
synthetic greases.

THE FIRST fully synthetic grease on the market was Permatex's "Super
Lube", which came out about 12 years ago and is still an excellent
all-around grease to use in all seasons and for all reasons. Permatex
is a division of the Loctite Company.

This picture shows a 3 ounce (85 gram) tube. It's about 5 inches tall
and 1 1/2 inch wide with a screw top cap.

[image:
http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...34/934844.jpg]

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...00_AA300_.jpg]

It's clear in colour and fairly light in viscosity so far as greases go.
If I were looking for an all-purpose grease to keep in a truck or tool
box, this is the one I'd go with.

Almost tempting to buy as I shoot and use grease on crossbow rails.
I've been using white lithium grease and the pound out in the garage
will last for many years. A pound of this grease costs about as much as
the 3 oz tube of synthetic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:45:09 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range.

Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need
a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a
whole pound like axle grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

Why not just use a regular grease gun, barely squeeze the trigger and
use the tiny amount at the tip. that's what I do!

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's one option. Small pill bottles, maybe.
I was hoping for a dispenser like syringe, or
squeeze tube.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Frank" wrote in message ...

I just fill some small waste containers like little jars.
They don't even need to be air tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

At a buck a syringe, it's no big loss. Interesting idea.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"mike" wrote in message ...

Dollar store has syringes for injecting juice into meat.
The grease will attack the rubber seal on the plunger.
You'll still be able to force it in, but you won't get it back
out.

I use insulin syringes filled with gun oil for fan bearings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The bicycle grease is what I wanted, but a bit pricey. Might do that, if nothing else shows up.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message ...

How about bicycle grease? It's kind of overpriced, but it fits your
criteria.
http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Wood-3-Ou.../dp/B000WYANAG

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to refill a tube of toothpaste; I do this
all the time for backpacking with the little travel-sized tubes, and
have refilled the same one about a half dozen times already. The
"trick" is to just hold the output (source) tightly against the tube you
want to fill, and squeeze the source tube.

It wouldn't take much effort to do the same with a grease gun and a tube
of toothpaste. The trick here would be cleaning all of the toothpaste
out of the empty tube, but a few shakings with hot water, followed by
drying it out, would supply you with the tube.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Intersting idea. Starts abotu nine bucks a tube on Ebay. Might do that, if nothing cheaper comes along. I'd like heavy, rather than light. More likely to stay in place.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"nestork" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

By gosh, I think he's got it. I live near a couple Advance Auto. I bought a tube of thier 3 ounce dielectric grease, a while back. Stil have a bunch, I can squirt that into hypo syringes, and put in my tool box. The smaller tubes are less of a value, in the price per ounce department.

Thank you, great find.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"SRN" wrote in message ...

Check auto parts stores. They sell small tubes of dielectric grease, white
grease, lithium grease, etc.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=grease

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=grease

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=grease

Posted to alt.home.repair

You shoot? The popular view of gun owners is
that you're a homicidal maniac who goes into
schools and kills kids? Eeek! Hide!

For tiny bits of grease, I'd been using vet supply
house syringes, 6 CC lasts a while. If the plunger
sticks to the grease and I have to throw it out,
it's no big deal.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Frank"
wrote in message ...

Almost tempting to buy as I shoot and use grease on
crossbow rails. I've been using white lithium grease
and the pound out in the garage will last for many years.
A pound of this grease costs about as much as
the 3 oz tube of synthetic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2013 03:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

What kind of grease? You can find both silicone and white lithium in
small tubes at your local auto parts sellin' emporium. Also bearing
grease is sold in small tubs still for hand packing wheel bearings (as
well as the usual tubes for your grease gun.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't have enough space in my tool box, to
be carrying around a ten pound, 26 inch long
grease gun. Do you carry a fire axe in your
purse to the grocery store? that's what I do!
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message

Why not just use a regular grease gun, barely
squeeze the trigger and use the tiny amount at
the tip. that's what I do!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range.

Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need
a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a
whole pound like axle grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

Why not just use a regular grease gun, barely squeeze the trigger and
use the tiny amount at the tip. that's what I do!

Messy to keep in your toolbox... even my good Lincoln grease gun will
seep some of the lighter fractions of the grease around the bottom if
infrequently used.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Why not just use a regular grease gun, barely
squeeze the trigger and use the tiny amount at
the tip. that's what I do!

They actually have small grease guns, less than half the size of a
normal grease gun. But I still wouldn't recommend it because of the
seepage.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:05:24 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

grease gun. Do you carry a fire axe in your
purse to the grocery store? that's what I do!

As a matter of fact, YES I do. Ya never know when someone will light up
a cigarette!!!! (Except I dont carry a purse, because that's GAY). I
carry a cloth recycling bag!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ideally, I'd like something that's waterproof, and
lubricates threads. I needed some grease today,
as I was reassembling a lock on a door. I also
do refrigeration. The caps for the valves, and
access ports, tend to rust and corrode on. At
the moment, I think dielectric grease from the
auto parts store is suited to my tasks.

Thank you, for your good questions and ideas.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message ...

What kind of grease? You can find both silicone and white lithium in
small tubes at your local auto parts sellin' emporium. Also bearing
grease is sold in small tubs still for hand packing wheel bearings (as
well as the usual tubes for your grease gun.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

I do have a mini grease gun. Used it a couple
days ago (with a syringe needle) to grease the
CV joints on my Blazer. You are right, about
the leakage. I keep mine in a plastic grocery
bag, and even then it's grease all over.

And it's also a bit too large for my tool kit.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Nate Nagel"
wrote in message ...

They actually have small grease guns, less than half the size of a
normal grease gun. But I still wouldn't recommend it because of the
seepage.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think we could become friends. I can learn
a lot from you, even over the internet.

Maybe you can teach classes at my church?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote:

grease gun. Do you carry a fire axe in your
purse to the grocery store? that's what I do!

As a matter of fact, YES I do. Ya never know when
someone will light up a cigarette!!!! (Except I dont
carry a purse, because that's GAY). I carry a cloth
recycling bag!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You may have other uses for grease.

But not for thread assembly.

I've recently converted to teflon tape instead of grease, and I'm regretting 50 years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 07:34:12 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

You may have other uses for grease.

But not for thread assembly.

I've recently converted to teflon tape instead of grease, and I'm regretting 50 years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Got some examples of what threads you tape? I only use tape on pipe
thread. Anti-sieze on automotive threads. Nothing on everything
else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

Almost tempting to buy as I shoot and use grease on
crossbow rails. I've been using white lithium grease
and the pound out in the garage will last for many years.
A pound of this grease costs about as much as
the 3 oz tube of synthetic.

An ounce of grease will last me for a lifetime of shooting. I only use
it on the slides of semi's.

Only grease fitting I think I have left in the garage is on my lawn
spreader. They took these things off cars long ago and my new lawnmower
has none. So, I've got a pound of white lithium grease which will last
a lifetime.

I like to tell the story years ago when I was into bicycling and guy in
the lab tossed out a can of PTFE mold release. I thought this would be
a good thing to grease the bicycle chain and rid it of dirt. It did a
nice job of lubing but after a couple of weeks the chain started to
rust. Apparently the absence of hydrocarbon grease in the PTFE would not
protect the metal from rusting. This makes me reticent to use something
not designed for such usages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Earlier today, I used a teeny bit of vaseline to lube threads on the back of a mortise cylinder, for a lock. The screws are probably #2-48 machine pitch. Yesterday, I greased a couple of 10-32 screws that held a Baldwin lever set on.

I challenge you to teflon those, and get back to me.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"TimR" wrote in message ...
You may have other uses for grease.

But not for thread assembly.

I've recently converted to teflon tape instead of grease, and I'm regretting 50 years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had problems with the brake pins on GM vehicles
being rotted in. I wonder if teflon tape would help?

For me, it's grease for wood or machine screws, and
bolts.

Rectorseal #5 for natural gas pipe.
Rectorseal over teflon tape for water pipe.

Neversieze for auto parts assembly.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Vic Smith" wrote in message ...
I've recently converted to teflon tape instead
of grease, and I'm regretting 50 years of lubing
threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's
also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put
fasteners together dry, except maybe a wood
screw, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Got some examples of what threads you tape? I only use tape on pipe
thread. Anti-sieze on automotive threads. Nothing on everything
else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:33:56 AM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Got some examples of what threads you tape? I only use tape on pipe

thread. Anti-sieze on automotive threads. Nothing on everything

else.

Everything I assemble, provided the bolt is big enough to do it, and might ever need to come apart again. With some obvious exceptions like sheet metal selftappers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's plumber's grease, but it ought to work good enough, most any
hardware store of Lowe's or Home Depot,...
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Swan-040.../dp/B008KOUIG4
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:05:32 PM UTC-7, nestork wrote:

THE FIRST fully synthetic grease on the market was Permatex's "Super
Lube", which came out about 12 years ago

Why are you saying that DuPont Krytox, which has been in existence
for at least a few decades longer, is not fully synthetic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll buy a tube of that, some day soon. It's a good price. It may be the heavy, long lasting grease that I need for threads, valve caps on refrigeration, and such. Says it's high temp, and water proof. I like both of those.

I can't resist butt crack a plumber joke, here.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Fat-Dumb and Happy" wrote in message ...
It's plumber's grease, but it ought to work good enough, most any
hardware store of Lowe's or Home Depot,...
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Swan-040.../dp/B008KOUIG4

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:45:09 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one
to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes.

Electronics supplies sell it for lubing plastic gears.

Car parts and hardware stores sell Lubriplate in larger squeeze tubes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 7:06*pm, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:45:09 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one
to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes.

Electronics supplies sell it for lubing plastic gears.

Car parts and hardware stores sell Lubriplate in larger squeeze tubes.

NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASE! IT WILL TURN TO ROCK AND BE
MISERABLE TO REPAIR!
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, is that how the Earth was formed? God was up there, reassembling the carburetor on his lawn mower, and mixed greases?

Has anyone else had this problem? I've never heard of it.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"bob haller" wrote in message ...

NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASE! IT WILL TURN TO ROCK AND BE
MISERABLE TO REPAIR!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default small tubes of grease (top-posting corrected)

On 4/26/2013 7:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, is that how the Earth was formed? God was up there, reassembling the carburetor on his lawn mower, and mixed greases? Has anyone else had this problem? I've never heard of it.

No, but I've never seen, a grease Zerk fitting, on a lawn mower carburetor, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, gosh, it's in one of the missing books of the
Bible, Pope Home Repair the XIV took it out.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org