Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A small tube of waterproof grease

On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment. The suction line
typically has a steel valve, with a steel cap over the valve shaft.
And often a steel cap, over the gage port.

These theads get rusty, and it's sometimes impossible to get the caps
off. I'd been thinking there must be some material I can put on the
threads, to keep them from rusting.

PB Blaster isn't there when I get back. Silver Permatex Thread Never
Sieze, same thing. It tends to wash away.

What I'd like, is a heavy grease, in a small tube maybe 2 onces or
less. So I can toss it in my tool box. This yet unknown grease should
be water proof, and should handle temps from 0F to 100F. Without
running off. And should handle warm air blowing ont he threads, from
the condensor, without evaporating. Is there such a product?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2010 06:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment. The suction line
typically has a steel valve, with a steel cap over the valve shaft.
And often a steel cap, over the gage port.

These theads get rusty, and it's sometimes impossible to get the caps
off. I'd been thinking there must be some material I can put on the
threads, to keep them from rusting.

PB Blaster isn't there when I get back. Silver Permatex Thread Never
Sieze, same thing. It tends to wash away.

What I'd like, is a heavy grease, in a small tube maybe 2 onces or
less. So I can toss it in my tool box. This yet unknown grease should
be water proof, and should handle temps from 0F to 100F. Without
running off. And should handle warm air blowing ont he threads, from
the condensor, without evaporating. Is there such a product?

Sil-Glyde? would that work?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment. The suction line
typically has a steel valve, with a steel cap over the valve shaft.
And often a steel cap, over the gage port.

These theads get rusty, and it's sometimes impossible to get the caps
off. I'd been thinking there must be some material I can put on the
threads, to keep them from rusting.

PB Blaster isn't there when I get back. Silver Permatex Thread Never
Sieze, same thing. It tends to wash away.

What I'd like, is a heavy grease, in a small tube maybe 2 onces or
less. So I can toss it in my tool box. This yet unknown grease should
be water proof, and should handle temps from 0F to 100F. Without
running off. And should handle warm air blowing ont he threads, from
the condensor, without evaporating. Is there such a product?

blue silicone grease. i have a small 2oz film canister that i got to
lubricate pool o-rings, but it also comes in large tubes for lubing boat
trailer hubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:06:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment. The suction line
typically has a steel valve, with a steel cap over the valve shaft.
And often a steel cap, over the gage port.

These theads get rusty, and it's sometimes impossible to get the caps
off. I'd been thinking there must be some material I can put on the
threads, to keep them from rusting.

PB Blaster isn't there when I get back. Silver Permatex Thread Never
Sieze, same thing. It tends to wash away.

What I'd like, is a heavy grease, in a small tube maybe 2 onces or
less. So I can toss it in my tool box. This yet unknown grease should
be water proof, and should handle temps from 0F to 100F. Without
running off. And should handle warm air blowing ont he threads, from
the condensor, without evaporating. Is there such a product?

Not sure if this would work: Pool & Spa Lube (Chemical Resistant
Fluoropolymers)

Use on O-rings, gaskets, valves and threaded parts (fiberglass pool
filter cowling). "And more".

3.5 oz. in a tooth paste sized tube.

This product feels like silicone to me. But a gel consistency.

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/Filters-and-Filter-Media/Pool-and-Spa-Lube/D/30100/P/1:100:6000/I/68926

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. They are essentially all rusty by the time I get there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Grumpy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might. I'll have to look for it, at the auto parts. Good idea, thanks.

I did check an auto parts store, but the "assembly grease" didn't look
water proof.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. Maybe find a trailer place, and see what they use for wheel
berrings that go under water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"chaniarts" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:06:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment. The suction line
typically has a steel valve, with a steel cap over the valve shaft. And
often a steel cap, over the gage port.

These theads get rusty, and it's sometimes impossible to get the caps
off. I'd been thinking there must be some material I can put on the
threads, to keep them from rusting.

PB Blaster isn't there when I get back. Silver Permatex Thread Never
Sieze, same thing. It tends to wash away.

What I'd like, is a heavy grease, in a small tube maybe 2 onces or less.
So I can toss it in my tool box. This yet unknown grease should be
water proof, and should handle temps from 0F to 100F. Without running
off. And should handle warm air blowing ont he threads, from the
condensor, without evaporating. Is there such a product?

How about a sporting goods shop? Buy a small tube of Hoppes Gun Grease.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=773343

Or order it online. I've been using it for many years and it performs
easily within your needs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I looked at the web page. That oughta be water proof.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not trying to seal, prefer to waterproof.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"BQ340" wrote in message

Use the HVAC blue thread sealant that you hopefully already have.

MikeB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 30, 5:06*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

Silicone spark plug boot release at any autoparts store. While there,
get some brass caps and do yourself and your clients a favor by
offering an inspection and free cap replacement.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't imagine Nevr Seez not working. I inject in gate
padlocks - lasts several years.

Another choice:
Plumbers heat proof grease -
http://www.gunk.com/CAT_GR1.asp

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

They have either steel, or plastic caps. The plastic ones rot on,
also. I'm not sure brass would help. An interesting idea. One similar
cooler I worked on, had brass valve and brass caps. So, I guess they
are made.

Boot release is a good idea. I bet that would work fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message

Silicone spark plug boot release at any autoparts store. While there,
get some brass caps and do yourself and your clients a favor by
offering an inspection and free cap replacement.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A small tube of waterproof grease (found something)

Pipe thread dope, found at the small town hardware store. Supposed to
seal threads, and prevent rust. Just what I was seeking. Three bucks,
for two ounce tube. I'll try it, and see how it goes.

If it doens't work, I've got some other excellent ideas from this
list. Thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 3:24*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Pipe thread dope, found at the small town hardware store. Supposed to
seal threads, and prevent rust. Just what I was seeking. Three bucks,
for two ounce tube. I'll try it, and see how it goes.

If it doens't work, I've got some other excellent ideas from this
list. Thank you.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/113...r=IN210GLB.htm

A little more money, but you get 50% more and it's great grease. Been
using it on the bikes for years...okay, decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment. The suction line
typically has a steel valve, with a steel cap over the valve shaft.
And often a steel cap, over the gage port.

These theads get rusty, and it's sometimes impossible to get the caps
off. I'd been thinking there must be some material I can put on the
threads, to keep them from rusting.

PB Blaster isn't there when I get back. Silver Permatex Thread Never
Sieze, same thing. It tends to wash away.

What I'd like, is a heavy grease, in a small tube maybe 2 onces or
less. So I can toss it in my tool box. This yet unknown grease should
be water proof, and should handle temps from 0F to 100F. Without
running off. And should handle warm air blowing ont he threads, from
the condensor, without evaporating. Is there such a product?

Buy a tube (I've seen very small ones and larger ones the size of a
fat short toothpaste tube) of Silicone Dielectric Grease. You can
usually find it in any decent auto parts store. Or buy the small
little capsules of disk brake pad backing lube, which is also now
being sold in little packets as light bulb socket protectorate. The
best deal is the large tube, it's usually around $6.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll try that, if the pipe dope doesn't do the job. Thanks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message

Buy a tube (I've seen very small ones and larger ones the size of a
fat short toothpaste tube) of Silicone Dielectric Grease. You can
usually find it in any decent auto parts store. Or buy the small
little capsules of disk brake pad backing lube, which is also now
being sold in little packets as light bulb socket protectorate. The
best deal is the large tube, it's usually around $6.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment.

Why would anyone refrigerate his equipment? Do you take it out of the
refrigerator to work on it?