Posted to alt.home.repair

Default small tubes of grease

Earlier today, I used a teeny bit of vaseline to lube threads on the back of a mortise cylinder, for a lock. The screws are probably #2-48 machine pitch. Yesterday, I greased a couple of 10-32 screws that held a Baldwin lever set on.

I challenge you to teflon those, and get back to me.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"TimR" wrote in message ...
You may have other uses for grease.

But not for thread assembly.

I've recently converted to teflon tape instead of grease, and I'm regretting 50 years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.