Posted to alt.home.repair

Default An opinion on gun control

On Dec 29, 2:34*pm, "
wrote:
On Dec 29, 5:23*am, harry wrote:

On Dec 28, 9:32*pm, "
wrote:

On Dec 28, 1:31*pm, harry wrote:

On Dec 28, 4:28*pm, "
wrote:

On Dec 28, 11:15*am, wrote:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 00:26:18 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
At the time of the Me262 we were flying the Meteor.

We are not talking about experimental aircraft. The ME 262 was
operational

Yes, those Britts were the masters of aviation. *They
transfered all that superiority into products like the Comet.
Remember that? *That was back in the 50's and the end
of the Britts as aviation wizards. * Funny how today Boeing and Airbus
rule the roost. *Even the last great attempt in aviation by
the Britts went down in flames.....Concorde. *How much
money was lost on that fiasco?

Concorde was more successful than the space shuttle.

The essential difference was the space shuttle was
never intended to be a commercial operation that made
a profit. *BTW, where's the *UK shuttle? *UK moon landing?

"The first official British space programme began in 1959 with the
Ariel series of British satellites, built in the USA and the UK and
launched using American rockets. The first British satellite, Ariel 1,
was launched in 1962.

During the 1960s and 1970s, a number of efforts were made to develop a
British satellite launch capability. A British rocket named Black
Arrow did succeed in placing a single British satellite, Prospero,
into orbit from a launch site in Australia. Prospero remains the only
British satellite to be put into orbit using a British vehicle."

Ao much for British superiority.

Let's see, that went down in flames a few times.

The space shuttle was *not* carrying paying passengers trying to get
from Europe to the USA.

it was some junk fell off a Yank aircraft that caused the Concorde
crash.

Yanks only copy things. Stolen ideas.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the flaming crash that finally put the Concorde out of it's
misery. * *The economic crash had been going on
for decades. *It never made a profit, despite charging $12,000 for
a ticket for a cramped seat. * For that price, one could get a
jabba the hut size seat on a Boeing 777, more like your own
personal little cabin. *Hell, I had 3 whole windows all to myself,
a desk to work at, and a seat that reclined into a full bed.
And that American marvel went from JFK to Hong Kong, non-stop
over the north pole. * The Concorde would have run out of fuel
less than half way there.

Your space program was wholly run by an ex Nazi rocket scientist
kidnapped from Germany.
Werner von Braun.
When he died the program went into failure mode.
Because Americans weren't smart enough.

We were smart enough to get von Braun and a long list of other
German scientists. * Apparently you Britts were not.

Boeing tried to build a supersonic transport and predictably failed.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_2707-Hide quoted text -

No, Boeing didn't fail. *That program was a govt funded boondoggle.
They never even finished one prototype before it became obvious that
due to the obvious cost issues, it would never be commercially
successful. *The govt cancelled it. *And obviously it was the right
decision. *You Britts and the French chose to go full steam ahead,
piling up huge losses every single year for another 30 years. *Now,
who
are the smart ones again?

The Space shuttle was more costly to run than the Saturn five. So
don't let on you are financial wizards.
It was all to do with the Flash Gordon syndrome.
Another Hollywood fiasco.
The Yanks had to borrow a Concordski from the Russiansto find out how
it was done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

There is a cricket bat to use in case the British astronaut goes bonkers.
^_^

TDD

Wouldn't that be too small to do any harm to a human? I'd like to use a
larger American style Louisville Slugger.

Steve - Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2012 11:31 AM, harry wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:33 pm, Doug wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 02:40:12 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
On Dec 28, 11:26 pm, Doug wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 15:01:30 -0800, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 13:32:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Prospero remains the only
British satellite to be put into orbit using a British vehicle."

... figgers

We still have vehicles on the moon. Scientist say they will never
rust.

I got a good idea. Why don't you go there and check it out.
( and you can bring guns with you grin )

I bet the US astronauts were carrying guns.
Afraid they might meet up with an alien.

Interesting thought Harry. Seriously wonder if that thought was
planned for?

I've heard they have a gun on the space station in case one astronaut
goes wackey.

I am winding up the paranoid gun nuts.
They watch so much Startrek they think the Klingons are real people.

Why do most outer space aliens speak English with a Canadian accent? The
most evil ones have a British accent. A reflection of the real world
perhaps? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 4:34*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 02:38:56 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
On Dec 28, 9:38*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 10:26:15 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:05*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 08:28:42 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
At the time of the Me262 we were flying the Meteor.

We are not talking about experimental aircraft. The ME 262 was
operational

Yes, those Britts were the masters of aviation. *They
transfered all that superiority into products like the Comet.
Remember that? *That was back in the 50's and the end
of the Britts as aviation wizards. * Funny how today Boeing and Airbus
rule the roost. *Even the last great attempt in aviation by
the Britts went down in flames.....Concorde. *How much
money was lost on that fiasco?

Yeah Harry conveniently forgot the Mustang and the B-29 when he was
talking about the best WWII planes.
He brags about the aircraft carrier but their naval aviation peaked
with the Mosquito, a bi-plane. A Hellcat would kick a Spitfire's ass
and it could land on a carrier.
I guess his WWII history stopped in 1942 when the US came in

Dopey as ever I see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito
The fastest operational aircraft in the world at the time..

My fault, I was thinking about the swordfish

BTW "at the time" was a time before the Mustang or the ME 262

The mustang first flew in 1940 and was used operationally by the RAF
long before the US airforce

Mustang was a joint British American project powered by Rolls Royce
engines made under licence in the USA..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...n_P-51_Mustang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_V-1650

I suppose you think the B 29 was a british plane too because the
engineers at Boeing spoke English

Hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it.
You could be right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2012 11:38 AM, Steve B wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

There is a cricket bat to use in case the British astronaut goes bonkers.
^_^

TDD

Wouldn't that be too small to do any harm to a human? I'd like to use a
larger American style Louisville Slugger.

Steve - Sorry, couldn't resist.

I seem to recall a statistic about baseball bats being the most common
weapon used to commit blunt force murders. Bat control laws should be
passed into law immediately! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 5:38*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

There is a cricket bat to use in case the British astronaut goes bonkers.
^_^

TDD

Wouldn't that be too small to do any harm to a human? *I'd like to use a
larger American style Louisville Slugger.

Steve - Sorry, couldn't resist.

Traditional British murder weapon.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/de...ar-cricket-bat

I myself have a nullah nulla.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nulla_nulla
Purpose designed to kill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Mr Spock? Or Ming the Merciless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:43:28 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Doug wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:51:34 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Doug wrote:

Ok but where does it say "ANY" arms in the constitution?

Constitutions, espeically the American one, work the other way. IF they
wanted limits, the FF put them in. Since it doesn't say "all arms but
these..." then, by definition, it means all arms.

No, not per CNN legal. They basically opposite to you.

Has it occurred to you that CNN is not an impartial source?

Douggie's research hasn't gotten that far yet.

Probably not...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:44:21 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 23:35:21 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 08:47:41 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 05:55:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 22, 11:39*pm, Doug wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 21:14:25 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
Are you going to arm your self with assault rifle and 200 rounds magazine
or drum?

"Assault rifles" are and have been strickly controlled since 1934
* *(They are machine guns don't ya know...)
You have to jump through all kinds of hoops with the Feds and local police
and pay a $200 tax before you can get one.
If one the other hand you are babbling your ignorance about "assault
weapons" then you are talking about CERTAIN SEMI-automatic (single shot to
single trigger pull) rifles that have certain cosmetic features like a
bayonet lug that magically turn them into "assault weapons" while changing
NOTHING about how they operate, or anything else about their performance.

Owning a 200 round magazine or drum is really a novelty item that you would
only use for fun but not for serious shooting
They have a NASTY habit of jamming at the worst moments.
Smart shooters stick with what the firearm was designed to use normally

You know wackos will come there with such a weapon with mass killing power
in short time.

And ???
What ??

All I need is just one shot to stop them
* *And then what ?

I am not against owning fire arm, first step should be banning the
ownership of assault type automatic weapons and high capacity
magazines/clips.

LOL
Are you really this ****ing stupid ?
IN the same sentence you declare, you're OK with owning firearms but let's
just ban firearms

And owning a gun is one thing using it properly and well is another,
*how many owners are like that?

Just about most who own them
The seem to be much better qualified to using their guns properly than car
drivers with all the training and licensing they go through...
Let's see
Gun owners with about 330,000,000 guns, have about 600 deadly accidents a
year, about a thousand injuries, and property damage that is so low as to be
negligible.
Car owners with about 300,000,000 cars have over 43,000 deaths, injuries in
the millions and property damage in the Billions

Maybe you should worry more about car owners.

Are always ready for surprise attack? If teachers are armed can they
concentrate on teaching or be on the look oiut for the sudden danger?

If you carry, you don't become a defact security guard
* *It's much closer to carrying an umbrella in case it rains.

IMO, the more gun, the more possibility of trouble. No thanks
no gun for me or my family.

Apparently stupidity is a requirement for hoplophobia.
* *I feel sorry for your defenseless family.

Hopefully your defective genes will stop with you and yours.

You bypass all the checks and balances if you buy privately and 40% of
all gun purchases are done this way.

If I understood the NRA, I agree only partially with them. *I like the
idea of armed guards (professionals) in schools but not armed
teachers. * But armed guards in schools will not solve the overall
problem of mass killings because the criminals will just move from
schools to churches, malls, stadiums, train stations, etc... or other
places with less resistance.

I too was in favor of no semi automatic weapons in civilian hands but
I now I prefer to say it differently now.....I don't want civilians to
have guns as good or better than the military or police use, unless
they already own them. *In other words, I don't want military or
police to be out gunned by civilians. *If they satisfy this, civilians
can get whatever guns they want.

Do you realize that we did ban "assault weapons" and high
capacity magazines for a decade, starting in 1994. Study after
study done by various organizations, including the CDC, which
clearly has no pro-gun agenda, concluded it made no difference
in crime rates, murder rates, etc.

Oh by the way, that's not what the CDC said. If you go to their
website...http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm
they say ....
"Evidence was INSUFFICIENT to determine the effectiveness of any of
these laws for the following reasons." They explain this as
depending on which study you go by, some say it went higher and other
studies say it went lower.

Therefore, since it's inconclusive, I'd say to do it because taking no
action is NOT the solution.

That's a dumb as saying "we can't be sure making all bullets pink
won't be a solution so I say pass a law making them pink".

Listening to you idiots, lets skip giving teachers a weapon and arm
the kids. How's that for getting to the root cause. You guys are a
joke.

You lefties have already tried that tactic. How 'bout going away to
do some more research and coming back, say, in 2014?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Prospero remains the only
British satellite to be put into orbit using a British vehicle."

... figgers

We still have vehicles on the moon. Scientist say they will never
rust.

I got a good idea. Why don't you go there and check it out.
( and you can bring guns with you grin )

I bet the US astronauts were carrying guns.
Afraid they might meet up with an alien.

Interesting thought Harry. Seriously wonder if that thought was
planned for?

I've heard they have a gun on the space station in case one astronaut
goes wackey.

There is a cricket bat to use in case the British astronaut goes
bonkers. ^_^

harry is their moon bat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2012 12:00 PM, harry wrote:
On Dec 29, 5:38 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

There is a cricket bat to use in case the British astronaut goes bonkers.
^_^

TDD

Wouldn't that be too small to do any harm to a human? I'd like to use a
larger American style Louisville Slugger.

Steve - Sorry, couldn't resist.

Traditional British murder weapon.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/de...ar-cricket-bat

That story is proof positive that the inmates are running the asylum in
The U.K., victim fights back and is criminally prosecuted. I'll bet that
Brits will some day be imprisoned for killing rats and mice. The violent
killing of vermin will no longer be tolerated in civilized society. ^_^

I myself have a nullah nulla.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nulla_nulla
Purpose designed to kill.

So you admit to owning an assault weapon. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Depends on the era but Dr. Spock was better with children. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:41:52 -0600, Doug
wrote:

You do know the courts have upheld the ban on machine guns sales?

I think you need some real research, Doug.

"...Held in April and October, "The World's Largest Machine Gun Shoot
and Military Gun Show" is an event that draws machine gun dealers,
collectors and enthusiasts from all over the country."

Knob Creek, Kentucky.

"The Military Gun Show has drawn dealers from all over the country to
buy, sell, and trade Class III Firearms. The show is set up in a large
lighted pole barn adjacent to the firing line and Clubhouse. Security
is on patrol at all times. Knob Creek cordially invites you to come
and support your second amendment "the right to keep and bear arms."

You can by M134 Mini-Guns, Gattlin guns and cannons - if you have the
money.

Sample of an "assault weapon".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Aazum9YhuU0#!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You do know the courts have upheld the ban on machine guns sales?

I think you need some real research, Doug.

He did! He got his information from the CDC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:51:34 -0500, Kurt Ullman

wrote:

In article ,
Doug wrote:

Ok but where does it say "ANY" arms in the constitution?

Constitutions, espeically the American one, work the
other way. IF
they wanted limits, the FF put them in. Since it doesn't
say "all
arms but these..." then, by definition, it means all
arms.

No, not per CNN legal. They basically opposite to you.

CNN???
see what I mean, Dug?
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-29-2012 12:44, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I seem to recall a statistic about baseball bats being the most common
weapon used to commit blunt force murders. Bat control laws should be
passed into law immediately! ^_^

Outlaw Batman while you're at it.

--
Wes Groleau

You always have time for what you do first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-29-2012 12:40, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Why do most outer space aliens speak English with a Canadian accent? The
most evil ones have a British accent. A reflection of the real world
perhaps? ^_^

As a child, I watched "Daniel Boone." Or "Davy Crocket," forget which.

I was always perplexed by the "Indian" supporting character with a
British accent.

--
Wes Groleau

¡Qué quiero realmente hacer es comer un perrito caliente!
ç§ãŒå®Ÿéš›ã«ã—ãŸã„ã¨æ€ã†ä½•ã‚’ホットム‰ãƒƒã‚°ã‚’食ã¹ã‚‹ã“ã¨ã§ã‚ã‚‹!
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.org/WWW?itemid=463

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-29-2012 09:38, Kurt Ullman wrote:
You can still buy machine guns, you just need a permit. Not a ban
if you can still get them, now is it? CNN most likely oversimplified
their statements. Or don't understand the subtlties.

They have trouble spelling their subtitles,
much less understanding their subtleties.

--
Wes Groleau

You're all individuals!
Yes, we're all individuals!
You're all different!
Yes, we are all different!
I'm not!
("Life of Brian")
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:43:32 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 12-29-2012 12:40, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Why do most outer space aliens speak English with a Canadian accent? The
most evil ones have a British accent. A reflection of the real world
perhaps? ^_^

As a child, I watched "Daniel Boone." Or "Davy Crocket," forget which.

I was always perplexed by the "Indian" supporting character with a
British accent.

Oxford will do that to you. Don't know if they said how long he
spent there- but that's where Mingo got some education. [There were
probably *real* Cherokee of that era who went to Oxford-- There were
certainly *real* Native Americans that went to England for school.]

Ed Ames, who played Mingo was from Massachusetts- He faked the accent
better than the skin color.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2012 5:40 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 12-29-2012 12:44, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I seem to recall a statistic about baseball bats being the most common
weapon used to commit blunt force murders. Bat control laws should be
passed into law immediately! ^_^

Outlaw Batman while you're at it.

Bite your tongue! Never dis Batman! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12-29-2012 12:40, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Why do most outer space aliens speak English with a Canadian accent? The
most evil ones have a British accent. A reflection of the real world
perhaps? ^_^

As a child, I watched "Daniel Boone." Or "Davy Crocket," forget which.

I was always perplexed by the "Indian" supporting character with a
British accent.

Oxford will do that to you. Don't know if they said how long he
spent there- but that's where Mingo got some education. [There were
probably *real* Cherokee of that era who went to Oxford-- There were
certainly *real* Native Americans that went to England for school.]

Ed Ames, who played Mingo was from Massachusetts- He faked the accent
better than the skin color.

Jim

I thought he played Tonto in The Lone Ranger but that was Jay
Silverheels / Harold J. Smith who was a real Indian. Ames was
Jewish and child of Ukrainian immigrants. Of course Mel Brooks
made fun of the fact that a lot of Jewish actors played American
Indians in cowboy movies during a scene in Blazing Saddles. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYVtGqnjrgs

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:37:16 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Doug wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:51:34 -0500, Kurt Ullman

wrote:

In article ,
Doug wrote:

Ok but where does it say "ANY" arms in the constitution?

Constitutions, espeically the American one, work the
other way. IF
they wanted limits, the FF put them in. Since it doesn't
say "all
arms but these..." then, by definition, it means all
arms.

No, not per CNN legal. They basically opposite to you.

CNN???
see what I mean, Dug?
LOL

Maybe read about the Supreme Court case "District of Columbia v.
Heller" . Court clearly does not agree with "ANY".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:51:34 -0500, Kurt Ullman

wrote:

In article ,
Doug wrote:

Ok but where does it say "ANY" arms in the constitution?

Constitutions, espeically the American one, work the
other way. IF
they wanted limits, the FF put them in. Since it doesn't
say "all
arms but these..." then, by definition, it means all
arms.

No, not per CNN legal. They basically opposite to you.

CNN???
see what I mean, Dug?
LOL

Maybe read about the Supreme Court case "District of Columbia v.
Heller" . Court clearly does not agree with "ANY".

Did you read that on CDC.GOV? Douggie, you're *really* out of your
league. Learn something or go away. Since the first is apparently
impossible...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I have never been a shuttle fan but it did have a mission you can't do
with any other platform, capture a satellite and bring it back.
Since there were quite a few classified military missions, we don't
know how many times they used that capability.

Dang, g. I never thought of that scenario. Sure would **** off a satellite
owner, wouldn't it? Aren't there any international laws pertaining to this?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

I seem to recall a statistic about baseball bats being the most common
weapon used to commit blunt force murders. Bat control laws should be
passed into law immediately! ^_^

TDD

Careful, or the flying type will be included. I have seen normally sensible
people go crazy when a bat or spider or snake shows up. They will literally
run off a cliff and kill themselves over a small living creature.

Dumb asses. Not me.

Well, maybe spiders a little, but I just kill every spider I see. Been bit
too many times.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote

Has it occurred to you that CNN is not an impartial source?

Probably not...

Yer a nut job. All news sources are fair, impartial, honest, and truthful.
If they weren't, they couldn't put it on TV or the Internet.

What a maroon.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2012 5:47 PM, Steve B wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote

I seem to recall a statistic about baseball bats being the most common
weapon used to commit blunt force murders. Bat control laws should be
passed into law immediately! ^_^

TDD

Careful, or the flying type will be included. I have seen normally sensible
people go crazy when a bat or spider or snake shows up. They will literally
run off a cliff and kill themselves over a small living creature.

Dumb asses. Not me.

Well, maybe spiders a little, but I just kill every spider I see. Been bit
too many times.

Steve

One of my little sisters is allergic to bee stings. She's a nurse and
probably has something on hand to keep her from going into shock from
a sting. The last time I was stung by a wasp was in the early 80's and
all it did was **** me off. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:48:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote

Has it occurred to you that CNN is not an impartial source?

Probably not...

Yer a nut job. All news sources are fair, impartial, honest, and truthful.
If they weren't, they couldn't put it on TV or the Internet.

What a maroon.

Steve

Giggles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:33:39 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/30/2012 5:47 PM, Steve B wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote

I seem to recall a statistic about baseball bats being the most common
weapon used to commit blunt force murders. Bat control laws should be
passed into law immediately! ^_^

TDD

Careful, or the flying type will be included. I have seen normally sensible
people go crazy when a bat or spider or snake shows up. They will literally
run off a cliff and kill themselves over a small living creature.

Dumb asses. Not me.

Well, maybe spiders a little, but I just kill every spider I see. Been bit
too many times.

Steve

One of my little sisters is allergic to bee stings. She's a nurse and
probably has something on hand to keep her from going into shock from
a sting.

Probably an Epi Pen (Epinephrine).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EpiPen

The last time I was stung by a wasp was in the early 80's and
all it did was **** me off. O_o

I've been stung by a wasp, once, about fifty years ago. They usually
don't bother people much but this critter got ****ed when I ran into
it. It was an accident, honest! Live and let live. Now, Hornets are
a different kettle. They die on sight. I drop everything to go after
those little Douggies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The real indians had more sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 11:47*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote

I seem to recall a statistic about baseball bats being the most common
weapon used to commit blunt force murders. Bat control laws should be
passed into law immediately! ^_^

TDD

Careful, or the flying type will be included. *I have seen normally sensible
people go crazy when a bat or spider or snake shows up. *They will literally
run off a cliff and kill themselves over a small living creature.

How is it I don't believe that?
Unless things are a lot worse in the USA than I thought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 12:36*am, wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:44:40 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote

I have never been a shuttle fan but it did have a mission you can't do
with any other platform, capture a satellite and bring it back.
Since there were quite a few classified military missions, we don't
know how many times they used that capability.

Dang, g. *I never thought of that scenario. *Sure would **** off a satellite
owner, wouldn't it? *Aren't there any international laws pertaining to this?

Steve

The supposition is it would be one nobody was supposed to know about,
ours or theirs.
The reality is they did bring the Hubble into the cargo bay and fix
it. That may have been the most useful thing the Shuttle ever did.

Harry is right that the shuttle had a 40% failure rate and it sucked
most of the money out of the NASA budget, stifling further rocket
development and putting us where we are today. (riding with the
Ruskies)

The Russians had a near identical device to the shuttle.
The project was cut when they realised it was too costly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_program

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 12:47*am, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 12/30/12 6:36 PM, wrote:

The supposition is it would be one nobody was supposed to know about,
ours or theirs.
The reality is they did bring the Hubble into the cargo bay and fix
it. That may have been the most useful thing the Shuttle ever did.

Harry is right that the shuttle had a 40% failure rate and it sucked
most of the money out of the NASA budget, stifling further rocket
development and putting us where we are today. (riding with the
Ruskies)

* * *Would the International Space Station have been possible without
the Shuttle? *I haven't heard much about it lately.

Failure is not talked about in America.
I think there is an American up there right now.
The US finds it cheaper to pay the Russians than do their own thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 2:14*am, wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:47:33 -0600, Dean Hoffman

" wrote:
On 12/30/12 6:36 PM, wrote:

The supposition is it would be one nobody was supposed to know about,
ours or theirs.
The reality is they did bring the Hubble into the cargo bay and fix
it. That may have been the most useful thing the Shuttle ever did.

As much as I like the idea of Hubble and all the pretty pictures, it
could have been replaced with the money spent on repairing it. *It
really hasn't had a great ROI.

Harry is right that the shuttle had a 40% failure rate and it sucked
most of the money out of the NASA budget, stifling further rocket
development and putting us where we are today. (riding with the
Ruskies)

* * Would the International Space Station have been possible without
the Shuttle? *I haven't heard much about it lately.

Has the ISS done anything useful in its life, other than give the
Shuttle some place to go?

They have done a lot of experimentation only possible in zero G.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On 12/30/12 6:36 PM, wrote:

The supposition is it would be one nobody was supposed to know about,
ours or theirs.
The reality is they did bring the Hubble into the cargo bay and fix
it. That may have been the most useful thing the Shuttle ever did.

Harry is right that the shuttle had a 40% failure rate and it sucked
most of the money out of the NASA budget, stifling further rocket
development and putting us where we are today. (riding with the
Ruskies)

* * Would the International Space Station have been possible without
the Shuttle? *I haven't heard much about it lately.

I can't imagine why not, particularly if we had spent our money on a
good cheap heavy lift vehicle instead of nursing the shuttle along a
decade too long. They should have started migrating away from that hog
after Challenger.

Don't worry.We are designing a new engine in the UK that will solve
the problem.