Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lets roll!

G. Morgan wrote in
:

I want to know why the fire alarm didn't do that.

Just a theory... but...

Firealarms are usually looking for something specific... Older ones
measured a reaction and went off when a certain level was exceeded.

I don't know what was in the smoke bombs, but either the fire alarms
weren't online or it's not the type of smoke they're designed to pick up.

I've seen smoke alarms detect cigarette smoke and not alarm, but if you
burn a piece of paper in front of it; it'll go off.

Pot smoke seems to have the same effect, the last time I tried the test.
[g]

Have you seen the new intelligent fire alarms? They can "tell" if you're
actually in danger, OR if you just overcooked something. It's got to be
something in the composition of the smoke.

--
Things look bad from over here. Too much confusion and no solution.
Everyone here knows your fear. Your out of touch and you try too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dustin" wrote in message
Have you seen the new intelligent fire alarms? They can "tell" if
you're
actually in danger, OR if you just overcooked something. It's got to
be
something in the composition of the smoke.

http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?c...kie %5Ftest=1

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

G. Morgan wrote in
:

If it's installed correctly, the EOLR would prevent the jumper trick. It
probably had no EOLR supervision.

No. It won't. EOLR is an open/closed detection circuit only. Unless each
switch/contact is a home run...bypassing a single switch will not set it
off. Just determine what the switch state is supposed to be in normal
mode, and either jump it, or don't. close/leave it open. EOLR won't notice
anything as you didn't really change anything from it's POV. the circuit
is still open or closed. It's happy.

--
Things look bad from over here. Too much confusion and no solution.
Everyone here knows your fear. Your out of touch and you try too much.
Yesterdays glory will help us today. You wanna retire? Get outta the way.
I ain't got much time. Young ones close behind. I can't wait in line.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Atila Iskander" wrote in
:

"mike" wrote in message
On 7/26/2012 3:32 PM, Atila Iskander wrote:

"mike" wrote in message

But one guy with a CC permit and a clear line of fire might have
saved some lives that day.

That fellow would have been...
1) shot by the police.

Really ?
Why ?

If you have to ask, you haven't thought about it.

We have lots of incidents where people who packed and used their guns
did not get shot by the police
And although the police shoot about 6 times as many innocent
bystanders are armed citizens, that is not a guarantee that a citizen
will be automatically shot by the police
Try again

2) sued by everybody in the theater

Really ?
Why ?

My hearing was damaged by the cowboy sitting next to me shooting.
I was hit by an ejected shell casing.
I wouldn't have been shot if the cowboy hadn't drawn fire.
The ambulance chaser talked me into joining the suit so I could get
some free $$$.
Everybody's glad they got out alive until the lawyers get in the
act. ....

1) All of the above can also be ascribed to the shooter who was
trying to kill you
2) Good Samaritan rule would be applicable in this case
3) If not 2), then State law exempting from lawsuit the person who
took on the shooter.

3) God help him if he accidentally hit anybody.

Really ?
Why ?

Probably manslaughter, but I don't know the exact laws involved.

Yes that's is obvious
Maybe you should check the law BEFORE you pronounce yourself in
future.

You don't shoot people, period!!!

Well, that's nice in theory
But real life is a different story

Sorry, your honor, the guy just stood up when I was shooting at the
perp.

Well, then it's the idiot's fault for standing up while shots are
being exchanged.

After 911, I got a carry permit, primarily so I could
take a pistol in the car or motorhome without hassle.
I also carried it on the street for a while.
It gave me a false sense of security.
I determined that ANY action that I took would
involve WAY more risk to me than any help it could provide.

That's you
But that does not make it true for anyone else

Ordinary people shouldn't carry guns.
But I'd defend their right to do so.

You're right
And since only 1-2% of the population chooses to carry, they
definitely are not ordinary like you

Unless you happened to be very near the shooter with a clear line of
sight, and there's a high probability that YOU will be shot,
the possibility of collateral damage is WAY too high in a theater.

You demonstrate that you haven't thought this through
1) The shooter was standing in front of the screen, which means he
was literally standing in a spotlight
2) Most theaters today, have the seats on rising steps, so that
that audience has a clear line of set to the screen unimpeded buy the
audience in front.
3) Anyone shooting back would have no problem finding a clear shot
while the rest of the audience, if they had any brains would be
keeping low and scurrying for cover or the exits.
The scenario of someone standing straight up, you proposed
earlier
is highly unlikely except maybe for an clueless idiot
4) The distances involved would be less than 25 yards. A distance
that handgun shooters shoot at quite often
I can consistently hit within a 5" circle with a 4" S&W 681
in .357
magnum at 50 yards
I can do the same with a 2" snubby at 25 yards
And I know people who can shoot tighter than that doing
double-action double taps.
. (But they've practiced far more than me)

Your questions suggest that you shouldn't be carrying a gun.

More like my questions were to discover how clueless you are about
this subject

Very informative.. thanks...

--
Things look bad from over here. Too much confusion and no solution.
Everyone here knows your fear. Your out of touch and you try too much.
Yesterdays glory will help us today. You wanna retire? Get outta the
way. I ain't got much time. Young ones close behind. I can't wait in
line.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Dustin wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Fools were mentioned quite often in the bible:

Yikes!

I'm much more interested in your soldering techniques. I'd rather not
discuss religion with you. I just can't see any good that would come of
it.

I wasn't discussing religion, just giving some more definitions of
fools. I only discuss that subject with people I know.

Did you see the post about the Harbor Freight iron not being
practical about converting to three wire power cords? Also, I got the
flux dispenser bottle in the mail today and I'm not happy with the size
or quality. The hypodermic needle just pushes on, and isn't very
tight. They would be OK for the casual user, but not for hours of daily
use. It's about 1 3/8" diameter * 2 3/4" tall without the cap & a
needle. I don't think it would be very stable on a cluttered
workbench. I like the three soldering irons that arrived on Wednsday,
and that there are thousands of tips for sale on Ebay. The lock ring
connectors are a lot better than the lightweight five pin DIN connectors
and I've located a place to buy them wholesale. I am considering a
custom, Atmel 2560 based controller that will hold four soldering irons,
a desoldering iron & a built in ohm meter to test the ground
connections. Each with it's own power switch. It's annoying to have to
let an iron cool to change a tip, then repatr that for another job. I
used to barely get by with three irons at Microdyne, but there are times
when I needed a second iron with a large tip. The pair with the
smallest chisel tips were used to remove surface mounted resistors &
capacitors by heating both ends at once.

I have already offended you in some fashion.. I'd rather not make things
worse by engaging in a debate concerning philosophy, religion, or
politics.

Offended me? I would simply kill file you if that were the case.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 27, 12:32*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Dustin wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
om:

[...]

Since I rarely solder, Im interested in that "Cold Heat" cordless iron
they show on TV. Seems that would be handy for the little dab of
soldering I do. What say ye?
NB
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 19:11:31 -0400, "
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:42:48 -0500, "Doug" wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:53:37 -0400, "
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:29:06 -0500, "Doug" wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:10:56 -0400, "
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:03:21 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
news:hje0189qs44s9tn5n76gafhqttmn63jont@4ax. com...
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:17:49 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
news:b33018tij0jri6do8ni0m1ntj6pmis4l9f@4a x.com...
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:37:05 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Doug wrote:

I wasn't but now I will..... personally I think everyone who wants a
gun (with some restrictions) should be allowed to have a gun legally.
I'm not in favor of taking guns away from people (in most cases).

I'll go farther. Everybody who wants a gun should have one PROVIDED by
the
government (if they can't afford one on their own).

Here's the rationale: The courts have held that an individual charged
with
crime is entitled to a lawyer, at state expense if necessary, so that
his
constitutional right to legal representation can be fulfilled.

It follows that if we have a right to own a gun...

Interesting opinion but expense of representation for me doesn't
equate to having the ability to kill someone.

Where do you presume you have to go out and kill someone ?

Presume no, potential yes

The word equate does NOT mean "potential by any stretch of the English
language
And if you're male, then does the fact that you have a penis mean that
you're automatically a "potential" rapist ?
And if you're female does your vagina, mean that your automatically a
"potential" prostitute ?

You're really really grasping at straws.

No, logic is not the leftie's strong suit.

Say that or call me names, doesn't matter.

No "names" at all. You *are* a lefty and logic obviously isn't your strong
suit (it isn't for any lefty but you're special).

I have no problem with people having guns legally as long as they're
qualified to do so.

You're a liar.

I also want some better accountability who has a legal gun.

See! You're a liar.

That reminds me, recently I heard on the radio that the
NRA also believes in restrictions tho I don't know if that's true nor
what restrictions but that's what I heard.

Again, you don't care to find out. All you're interested in is spreading your
"opinions". You "opinion" of what other's have said isn't all that
interesting to anyone.

Liar ???

Well, at least you can read four letter words.

Cause I told you what I think??

No, because you tell untruths and have no interest in correcting them.

Well okay if that's your opinion.

Eveyone is welcome to their own opinion but they are not welcome to their own
facts. Your facts aren't and you have no interest in correcting them.

And I agree with you about the NRA,

At least now you agree that you're a liar.

I don't care to research it

Bingo! You're a liar.

and I stated that I didn't know it to be true but that I
heard it on the radio. Perhaps you think I'm lying about that ???

If you weren't a liar you wouldn't have repeated an untruth and would at least
look at contrary information. No, your mind is made up and lies are a
perfectly good replacement for a little research.

My mind is made up because of the frequency I hear horrific murders
compared to years ago and it has nothing to do with the NRAs beliefs.
I'm not a young man any more which allows me to remember what was and
what is now. You want to call me a liar, no problem, doesn't bother
me. Funny thing tho, tho you don't agree with me, I don't call you a
liar... I just don't agree with you without calling you stupid, liar
or whatever.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

bates2012 wrote:

Since I rarely solder, Im interested in that "Cold Heat" cordless iron
they show on TV. Seems that would be handy for the little dab of
soldering I do. What say ye?

They are low grade resistance soldering irons. I've not heard anyone
brag about them being good. Only one who claimed they were 'OK', and he
was considered a hack who patched store return junk together and sold it
to suckers.

The tips are carbon, and very fragile. They have a short life. If
you want a battery powere iron, look at the Wahl cordless irons. They
cost more, but they do work. I used one for years to repair the circuit
boards in Commodore 64 computers. The also sold a 'Tuner extension tip
which was about four inches long. You could work it through a group of
wires, then push the button to heat the tip. No risk of burning the
wiring in tight places. They were in the $30 range when I bought the
'Orange' eight hour charge model. A week later the 'Red' one hour
charge model came out.

One big problem with a rechargable iron: Battery life is only a few
years. If you aren't doing work on static sensitve electronics, just
buy a 25 to 45 W iron. I have used Weller SP23 irons since the late
'60s. There is a 40W model in that line, as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 27, 1:58*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
bates2012 wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. Ill look into the Wahl irons.
NB
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote in message
On 7/26/2012 4:26 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:01:48 -0700, wrote:

My hearing was damaged by the cowboy sitting next to me shooting.
I was hit by an ejected shell casing.
I wouldn't have been shot if the cowboy hadn't drawn fire.
The ambulance chaser talked me into joining the suit so I could get some
free $$$.
Everybody's glad they got out alive until the lawyers get in the act.

I don't believe you.

Your belief is not required.
An ejected HOT casing is not like or the same as
being "shot".

Agreed, but when the lawyers get through writing up the
claim, it's still injury for which YOU are at fault.

Try again
If you are trying to engage a person doing a criminal act, then the person
doing the criminal act is at fault
And fault can ONLY be attributed to you if you commit GROSS NEGLIGENCE
In many States, there are even specific statutes clearly stating so

Who shot you? What report did the surgeon issue?

Don't matter who shot you. IF MY USE OF MY WEAPON caused
the perp to shoot you instead of someone else, I'd not like
to be in the defedant's chair.

OH dear
This is really a convoluted fantasy
You will have to clearly demonstrate that you in fact did get shot
SPECIFICALLY because someone next to you stood up to take on the shooter to
stop a criminal act in progress
Good luck with that.

You seem to be missing the point that you don't have to be
guilty of anything to be financially ruined or convicted and
go to jail. It's not about right or wrong. It's about politics
and media and 12 people. The outcome of your trial might depend
more on who got shot or who got elected in the time between
your incident and your trial.

In other words you're admitting to shoveling ignorant bull**** and now
you're just trying to cover your skanky ass after you have been shown the
fool

How did this "cowboy" draw fire, exactly?

Muzzle flash in view of the perp.
Surely you can't be this dense???

You'll need to demonstrate that VERY CLEARLY to a jury to win
A Jury, who will be most likely VERY SYMPATHETIC to a HERO willing to
stand up to take on a CRIMINAL MASS MURDERER at the risk of his life

Do you seriously think that average Joe fresh out of the
two hour training course it took to get the carry permit
is gonna pull his shiny new .380 with the 2" barrel
and take out a shooter

Well since I don't fit the above definition, clearly your claim against me
has no legs to stand on
I can easily and consistently hit a 4" target at 25 yards using a Colt
Agent firing .38 Special
Although a haven' tried that with my KelTec P3AT Bug gun, I'll do so soon
and get back to you.

with body armor and automatic weapons from 100 feet away
in a darkened theater filled to capacity with people
screaming and running every which way?

1) There was NO "body armor"
2) The shooter was standing in front of the screen, in other words in
front of a spotlight, and thus well lit. and visible
3) Theatres these days have seats on steps
Which means that they would be heading for the aisles and exits.
Which means there would be a clear like of sight to the screen and
the sniper triangle on the shooter
4) Why would people screaming affect my aim ?

You are spouting ignorant ****

Fear of unintended consequences is the primary reason I decided
not to carry a weapon.

Good for you (and us)
Can we convince you to wear a Brassard a la Robert Heinlein in Starship
Troopers, so that we can have you clearly identified as Unarmed. ?

I had myself convinced that I have no moral issues with killing
the perp dead! But it's not that simple.

Ah yes.
Far better to get shot and killed instead.
And if not you, hope that it's someone else
And if by any chance someone does show courage (that you clearly lack), and
stand to face that criminal, you can hope to sue them for a few bucks

Did I get that right ???

Theater shootings are rare. It's more likely you'll be in
a more personal situation.

It takes a split second or two to assess the situation...
Is what I'm about to do sanctioned behavior in this jurisdiction?
Is the testimony likely to happen in court gonna support my actions?
At what point do I decide that the situation cannot be resolved
and pull the trigger?
Where is the bullet gonna go after it hits (or misses) the target?
Am I trading the loss of a few hundred bux for the probability of
being murdered by his gang buddies?
The answer to most of those questions is, "gee, I don't know."

And what if you're defending someone else?
Do you run away and be done with it?
Or do you stay at great personal risk and try to help?
"The kids were just asking me directions and that guy ran
up and shot one of 'em."

I came to the conclusion that, for me, a weapon would do more
harm than good. I believe that's the same conclusion most thoughtful
people would reach.

We really don't need a bunch of cowboys running around with guns
and an itchy trigger finger.

But, I'd still support the right to bear arms.
People with valid gun permits are not the ones that I worry about.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

Has lot more to do with network competition for audience
They will repeat as often and for as long as possible whatever news they
think will keep their audience tuned in. Then will move on to something
else and flog that into a red paste.
The amount of times you actually hear something has really nothing to do
with how often such things occur.

I'm not a young man any more which allows me to remember what was and
what is now. You want to call me a liar, no problem, doesn't bother
me. Funny thing tho, tho you don't agree with me, I don't call you a
liar... I just don't agree with you without calling you stupid, liar
or whatever.

Problem is that you post nonsense and then spin like crazy

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:52:43 -0700, mike wrote:

Fear of unintended consequences is the primary reason I decided
not to carry a weapon.

Okay.

FEAR - False Evidence Appearing Real.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

....and it doesn't even bother you that those are on the news reports, rather
than cold statistical data. IOW, you *like* propaganda. The Leftist mind is
an amazing thing.

I'm not a young man any more which allows me to remember what was and
what is now.

No, you don't.

ou want to call me a liar, no problem, doesn't bother
me.

Perhaps not a liar. Uninformed, obviously. Stupid, certainly (no interest in
the facts). Liar? Could be. The fact is it's at least one of the above and
most likely a hat trick.

Funny thing tho, tho you don't agree with me, I don't call you a
liar... I just don't agree with you without calling you stupid, liar
or whatever.

I look at the numbers, not MSNBC.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

[...]

I find great value in your information. thanks for sharing.

--
Things look bad from over here. Too much confusion and no solution.
Everyone here knows your fear. Your out of touch and you try too much.
Yesterdays glory will help us today. You wanna retire? Get outta the
way. I ain't got much time. Young ones close behind. I can't wait in
line.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/27/2012 09:25 PM, Dustin wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in

I find great value in your information. thanks for sharing.

+1

technomaNge

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

HeyBub wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

One assumes you did the legal thing and stopped after the event and
reported it?

Legal?

What law, statute, ordinance, or common sense mandates an individual risk
his life when retreat or escape is possible?

That is from the front cover of the coward's handbook.

Heck, I'm disabled, can't run and I'm not bullet proof so I suppose I
could limp away as quickly as I could or do whatever I could to protect
a child from a lunatic. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Dustin wrote:

[...]

I used the one I own to repair a telephone yesterday. I didn't have to
pull out my Weller soldering station I bought new 38 years ago. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

bates2012 wrote:

[...]

The little Coleman Cold Heat unit I've had for years uses standard AA
batteries and works best on thick metal like battery terminals and old
time soldering lugs. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/23/2012 5:57 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 02:50:02 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

No one grabbed a pull station, and the smoke detectors didnt get a big
enough "sniff" to go into alert, let alone alarm.

Or the ****er was not working.

Shrug

They usually use smoke beams rather than traditional photoelectric
detectors in that big of an area. I'd really like to see the signals it
sent during the whole event (if any).

Ayup.

Keep in mind that tear gas smoke is fairly cool and tends to stay low.
Part of its design.

As is regular smoke grenade media. Its not supposed to be so hot that
it shoots up to the sky quickly. Plus if the heating media is that
hot..it can cause a local fire.

Gunner

The AC/ventilation systems in those places move a lot of air and duct
detectors may have picked up something? O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/27/2012 12:09 AM, Dustin wrote:
G. Morgan wrote in
:

If it's installed correctly, the EOLR would prevent the jumper trick. It
probably had no EOLR supervision.

No. It won't. EOLR is an open/closed detection circuit only. Unless each
switch/contact is a home run...bypassing a single switch will not set it
off. Just determine what the switch state is supposed to be in normal
mode, and either jump it, or don't. close/leave it open. EOLR won't notice
anything as you didn't really change anything from it's POV. the circuit
is still open or closed. It's happy.

Heck, I sourced some door switches for an embassy that were resistant to
the extra magnet trick and you needed a cutting torch to get to the
wires. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The little Coleman Cold Heat unit I've had for years uses standard AA
batteries and works best on thick metal like battery terminals and old
time soldering lugs. ^_^

I looked at them when they first came out and the entire batch had
bad tips. I rarely need to solder a joint or two and just wasn't
impressed with them, but if it works for you, enjoy it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heck, I'm disabled, can't run and I'm not bullet proof

Have you been reading my mail?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge wrote:

On 07/27/2012 09:25 PM, Dustin wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in

I find great value in your information. thanks for sharing.

+1

Thanks. I just got a new power connector for that laptop. It's
going to be fun to replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heck, I'm disabled, can't run and I'm not bullet proof

Have you been reading my mail?

Na, you're probably a member of the invisible work force in this country
like me and the guys I work with. We get no help from the government,
heck, we've been turned away and told them to get screwed.
We work as hard as we can when we can in order to survive. My old Hippie
roommate was actually getting help from Social Security and
Medicare/Medicade or whatever the heck it's called and he died the first
part of this month. He walked out of the county hospital with an IV bag
of blood in his arm and was later found unconscious at a bus stop. He
wound up back at the hospital in ICU in a coma for a month before coming
out of it long enough to say goodby to his sister. He and his older
brother who died earlier this year because of the same self destructive
behavior now reside in their sister's closet in 2 rather small boxes of
ashes. The two idiots partied themselves to death with
drugs, alcohol and inhalation of the byproducts of combustion from
various legal and illegal substances. Me, I've never touched any of
that crap and my problems are due to accumulated injuries over more
than a half century. The damage adds up but I keep on truckin. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/28/2012 12:31 AM, Dustin wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

[...]

It was for an engineer friend working for the same construction company
I worked for out in The Pacific at the missile range when the company
got contracts to build U.S. Embassies in various countries around the
globe. For some odd reason, the government is kinda picky about security
at embassies. You could look up balanced magnetic door switches of a few
types, some more secure than others and harder if not
impossible to defeat. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heck, I'm disabled, can't run and I'm not bullet proof so I suppose I
could limp away as quickly as I could or do whatever I could to
protect a child from a lunatic. O_o

You might consider configuring your situation to provide another choice:
Returning fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

It was for an engineer friend working for the same construction
company I worked for out in The Pacific at the missile range when the
company got contracts to build U.S. Embassies in various countries
around the globe. For some odd reason, the government is kinda picky
about security at embassies. You could look up balanced magnetic door
switches of a few types, some more secure than others and harder if
not impossible to defeat. O_o

In the opening episode of this season's "Breaking Bad," the cops raided the
headquarters of the bad guy. The cops confiscated a laptop computer and
checked it into the police property room. Obviously, when the cops got
around to looking through the computer's files, Walt and his buddy would be
screwed. Oh, what to do?

The got an OLD delivery truck with an aluminum shell. In this truck, they
mounted the business end of a magnetic junk crane, you know the type, about
five feet in diameter and capable of picking up trashed automobiles. Also in
the van they mounted 42 heavy-duty batteries.

During the night, they drove the truck up against the back wall of the
police property room and threw the switch.

It was a hoot to see all the shelving and metal property leave its location
and hug the wall!

The cops were, um, call it confused to see everything in the property room
in disarray. Then they found the truck, tipped over against the back wall.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:
On 7/26/2012 4:26 PM, Oren wrote:

Do you seriously think that average Joe fresh out of the
two hour training course it took to get the carry permit
is gonna pull his shiny new .380 with the 2" barrel
and take out a shooter
with body armor and automatic weapons from 100 feet away
in a darkened theater filled to capacity with people
screaming and running every which way?

You presume too much. Had *I* been in the theater, and armed, I would have
returned fire. My bone fides a
* College rifle team
* Former Marine
* Former Deputy Sheriff
I, and thousands like me, are perfectly capable of hitting a man-sized
target at 100 feet.

And even if we didn't hit the shooter, I doubt he would have ignored the
shots falling around him.

Next, the shooter was NOT wearing body armor*. The shooter did NOT use an
automatic weapon. The theater was NOT completely dark (there was a movie
going on). And yes, I can keep my head when everyone around me is panicking.

Fear of unintended consequences is the primary reason I decided
not to carry a weapon.
I had myself convinced that I have no moral issues with killing
the perp dead! But it's not that simple.

It IS that simple. As for "unintended consequences," those should be the
farthest thing from your mind. Simply, your actions come down to two, and
only two, choices:
1. Do what it takes to stop the attack, or
2. Do nothing for fear an infant asleep in its crib a block away might be
harmed by an errant bullet.

I came to the conclusion that, for me, a weapon would do more
harm than good. I believe that's the same conclusion most thoughtful
people would reach.

For you, and the people you associate with, you're probably right.

We really don't need a bunch of cowboys running around with guns
and an itchy trigger finger.

You'll note that EVERY mass shooting in the country, with one exception -
the Gabby Giffords shooting in a parking lot, has taken place in a NO GUNS
venue. In my view, we need more people with guns and itchy trigger fingers.

-----------
* Holmes WAS wearing a "ballistic nylon" vest. Ignorant journalists
immediately morphed this into "body armor." Something made of "ballistic
nylon" won't stop squat, let alone a bullet.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

A Veteran I know was found dead in her rented home recently. She had
been trying to get disbility. She served at the wrong time to get non
service connected, and SS screwed her around so long that it killed her.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Hall effect sensors near the mag switch would be real fun to defeat.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

HeyBub wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

It takes an alternating magnetic field to demagnatise a disk and the
permananat magnets inside the drive have a higher density that that
would have provided. Of course, you can't expect a script writer to
know that. Like an episode of McGyver years ago: He was inside a
nuclear reactor and the control for the 'alarm system' was built on
Radio Shack perf board.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/28/2012 6:09 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Heck, I'm disabled, can't run and I'm not bullet proof so I suppose I
could limp away as quickly as I could or do whatever I could to
protect a child from a lunatic. O_o

You might consider configuring your situation to provide another choice:
Returning fire.

I've been thinking of getting a firearm again but the only problem for
me is my arthritic hands. I can't even shake hand with folks at times
because of it and I cant imagine the pain the recoil of any type gun
would cause me much less being able to hold on to the darn thing. The
last pistol I owned was a 9mm Browning Hi-Power which really didn't have
that much kick with standard ball or semi-wadcutter ammo but I had it
loaded with military surplus sub machine gun ammo and the darn thing
kicked like a mule and sounded like a howitzer going off. I'll have to
get a sissy gun I suppose but those can be deadly too. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

What would that be? Semi .22 rimfire, maybe? Small round, and slide action
to help absorb the recoil?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I've been thinking of getting a firearm again but the only problem for
me is my arthritic hands. I can't even shake hand with folks at times
because of it and I cant imagine the pain the recoil of any type gun
would cause me much less being able to hold on to the darn thing. The
last pistol I owned was a 9mm Browning Hi-Power which really didn't have
that much kick with standard ball or semi-wadcutter ammo but I had it
loaded with military surplus sub machine gun ammo and the darn thing
kicked like a mule and sounded like a howitzer going off. I'll have to
get a sissy gun I suppose but those can be deadly too. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I've been thinking of getting a firearm again but the only problem for
me is my arthritic hands. I can't even shake hand with folks at times
because of it and I cant imagine the pain the recoil of any type gun
would cause me much less being able to hold on to the darn thing. The
last pistol I owned was a 9mm Browning Hi-Power which really didn't have
that much kick with standard ball or semi-wadcutter ammo but I had it
loaded with military surplus sub machine gun ammo and the darn thing
kicked like a mule and sounded like a howitzer going off. I'll have to
get a sissy gun I suppose but those can be deadly too. ^_^

Elephant guns are for shooting elephants, so Sissy guns are for
shooting liberal sissies? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

If mineral oil comes from minerals. Where does baby oil come from?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

kicked like a mule and sounded like a howitzer going off. I'll have to
get a sissy gun I suppose but those can be deadly too. ^_^

Elephant guns are for shooting elephants, so Sissy guns are for
shooting liberal sissies? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

If mineral oil comes from minerals. Where does baby oil come from?

The drug store. If you can pry it out of the hands of some whining,
crybaby liberal.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I'll have to
get a sissy gun I suppose but those can be deadly too.

A 40 grain LRN is a whole lot better than nothing or missing with a 9mm.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I had a narrow range thermal intermittent failure of the Hall effect
sensor in the distributor of my old van some years ago. I coined the
term "The Goldilocks Effect". The temperature has to be just right for a
semiconductor to work. I've come across this on a number of occasions
over four decades in all sorts of solid state equipment that used
discrete semiconductors. I even had a transistor act like an inductor in
the IF stage of a two way radio at room temperature one time and
chilling it down caused it to behave. If those immortality pill I bought
off The Interweb work, I guess I'll live long enough to see everything.
The pills are supposed to give my a giant schlong too, it claimed to do
so in the Email. ^_^

TDD

Lets roll! terryc Metalworking 1 July 22nd 12 04:23 AM
Buy to lets Phil Gardner UK diy 457 December 4th 07 01:28 AM
Dassault.Systemes.P3.CATIA.V5R17, GibbsCAM.2006.v8.0.17, Copra Roll Forming v2007, Ubeco Profil Roll Form v4.3, Mazak CPC, FANUC Robotics Simulation, Lantek, AMADA, other ... kashumoto_tokugawa UK diy 1 November 10th 06 07:18 PM
Building the roll part of a roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 July 24th 06 02:26 PM
Refinishing roll part of roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 June 2nd 06 02:31 PM