Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lets roll!

Dustin wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Did you see the post about the Harbor Freight iron not being
practical about converting to three wire power cords? Also, I got
the flux dispenser bottle in the mail today and I'm not happy with
the size or quality. The hypodermic needle just pushes on, and isn't
very tight. They would be OK for the casual user, but not for hours
of daily use. It's about 1 3/8" diameter * 2 3/4" tall without the
cap & a needle. I don't think it would be very stable on a cluttered
workbench. I like the three soldering irons that arrived on
Wednsday, and that there are thousands of tips for sale on Ebay. The
lock ring connectors are a lot better than the lightweight five pin
DIN connectors and I've located a place to buy them wholesale. I am
considering a custom, Atmel 2560 based controller that will hold four
soldering irons, a desoldering iron & a built in ohm meter to test
the ground connections. Each with it's own power switch. It's
annoying to have to let an iron cool to change a tip, then repatr
that for another job. I used to barely get by with three irons at
Microdyne, but there are times when I needed a second iron with a
large tip. The pair with the smallest chisel tips were used to
remove surface mounted resistors & capacitors by heating both ends at
once.

I find great value in your information. thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.