Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building the roll part of a roll top desk

Hi,

I have several questions pertaining to building the roll part of a top
roll desk.

1. What to glue the would onto the canvas with? Someone in this group
recommended to me contact cement. Just want to confirm that this is a
good idea.

2. Must the canvas be stretched tight as the pieces are being placed
it? If yes, how tightly?

3. How much of a problem will it be there's a little bit of stainer and
polyurethane on the underside? How much care should I take to sand it
off?

Very many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

Contact cement is ok, but the canvas will need several coats. The canvas
doesn't need to be streached tight, just the wrinkles out. A little of stain
is no big deal, the cenent will hold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Contact cement will work. I've also used white Elmer's glue with very
good results. Stretch the canvas so that there's no wrinkles in it.
It may be too tight, after gluing, to travel in a 'S' curved tambour
shape. If so, you may have to stretch the canvas by lightly spraying
some water on it. No problem with a little stain or poly on the
underside.