Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus Gus is offline

Default Building the roll part of a roll top desk

wrote:
Hi,

I have several questions pertaining to building the roll part of a top
roll desk.

1. What to glue the would onto the canvas with? Someone in this group
recommended to me contact cement. Just want to confirm that this is a
good idea.

2. Must the canvas be stretched tight as the pieces are being placed
it? If yes, how tightly?

3. How much of a problem will it be there's a little bit of stainer and
polyurethane on the underside? How much care should I take to sand it
off?

1) Yes, contaact cement.

It's called tambour construction.

2) No, not really.

Here's a decent article:

http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/arch...p_tambours.htm

3) I don't think a small amount of stain on the underside of the slats
will hinder adhesion.