Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lets roll!

On 7/27/2012 1:04 AM, bates2012 wrote:
On Jul 27, 12:32 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Dustin wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

Fools were mentioned quite often in the bible:

Yikes!

I'm much more interested in your soldering techniques. I'd rather not
discuss religion with you. I just can't see any good that would come of
it.

I wasn't discussing religion, just giving some more definitions of
fools. I only discuss that subject with people I know.

Did you see the post about the Harbor Freight iron not being
practical about converting to three wire power cords? Also, I got the
flux dispenser bottle in the mail today and I'm not happy with the size
or quality. The hypodermic needle just pushes on, and isn't very
tight. They would be OK for the casual user, but not for hours of daily
use. It's about 1 3/8" diameter * 2 3/4" tall without the cap & a
needle. I don't think it would be very stable on a cluttered
workbench. I like the three soldering irons that arrived on Wednsday,
and that there are thousands of tips for sale on Ebay. The lock ring
connectors are a lot better than the lightweight five pin DIN connectors
and I've located a place to buy them wholesale. I am considering a
custom, Atmel 2560 based controller that will hold four soldering irons,
a desoldering iron & a built in ohm meter to test the ground
connections. Each with it's own power switch. It's annoying to have to
let an iron cool to change a tip, then repatr that for another job. I
used to barely get by with three irons at Microdyne, but there are times
when I needed a second iron with a large tip. The pair with the
smallest chisel tips were used to remove surface mounted resistors &
capacitors by heating both ends at once.

I have already offended you in some fashion.. I'd rather not make things
worse by engaging in a debate concerning philosophy, religion, or
politics.

Offended me? I would simply kill file you if that were the case.

Since I rarely solder, Im interested in that "Cold Heat" cordless iron
they show on TV. Seems that would be handy for the little dab of
soldering I do. What say ye?
NB

I used the one I own to repair a telephone yesterday. I didn't have to
pull out my Weller soldering station I bought new 38 years ago. ^_^

TDD