Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telephone wiring question

Hello All:

ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/... 2&R=202698502

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...*pXAHZK5NW4%24

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

Thanks,

Deguza

P.S.: I found this at the Ace H/W site but it sis not make sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is what I got:http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?lan...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...ba&page=play&r....

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

Thanks,

Deguza

P.S.: I found this at the Ace H/W site but it sis not make sense.

You do notr make sense either. The output from the telco line goes to
a splitter which has telephone output and digital output. The digital
output then goes to a modem or some means of connecting the digitasl
output to a computer,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 9:47*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Sep 21, 10:56*pm, "

wrote:
[...]

output to a computer,- Hide quoted text -

Hello:

There is no "splitter" involved when using DSL. Are you thinking of
the filters?

After the receptacle works, I will attach a filter to one of the jacks
and attach the phone there. The problem I am having is figuring out
the back of the receptacle. The receptacle has solid colored wires and
only two pairs of them. The cat 5 cable has striped lines and four
pairs of them.

See this: http://wiringwizard.com/primer/cables/cat5/

Regards
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello All:

ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/... 2&R=202698502

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...*pXAHZK5NW4%24

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

Thanks,

Deguza

P.S.: I found this at the Ace H/W site but it sis not make sense.

I am not sure, but I think you attach the blue pair of wires to the red and
green screws (solid blue wire to red screw and blue stripe wire to green
screw); and the orange pair to the yellow and black screws (solid orange
wire to the yellow screw and orange stripe wire to the black screw). Or,
maybe just do the blue pair connections and skip the orange pair
connections. You may only need two wires connected -- I am not sure.

Try that and see if it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello All:

ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/... 2&R=202698502

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...*pXAHZK5NW4%24

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

Thanks,

Deguza

P.S.: I found this at the Ace H/W site but it sis not make sense.

Ask someone else at ATT. Inlines to your house from the pole are
telephone wire so how is cat five going to help. Its like putting a
larger pipe after a smaller pipe. The "splitter" mentioned elsewhere is
a split filter. One side goes to modem and other to phone. Single
filters are needed for all other phone lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/... 2&R=202698502

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...*pXAHZK5NW4%24

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

*It would have been easier with a 4 pair jack, but this will work. The
green and black are "Tip" and the red and yellow are "Ring"

On Jack #1
Connect the blue with white stripe to the green.
Connect the blue to red.
Connect the orange with white stripe to black.
Connect the orange to yellow.

On Jack #2
Connect the green with white stripe to the green.
Connect the green to red.
Connect the brown with white stripe to black.
Connect the brown to yellow.

Here's a link to help:
http://www.mrelectrician.tv/conversi...telephone.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello All:

ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/... 2&R=202698502

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...*pXAHZK5NW4%24

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

It doesn't matter (much). The technician suggested Cat-5 wire because of the
physical characteristics of the wire. The pairs within the cable has a
specific twist throughout their length to minimize or cancel interference.

You should let your wife pick a color scheme compatible with her
sensibilities. Connect the incoming red-green pair to one set of colors
(e.g., blue-white, white-blue) and the yellow-black to another set of
colors.

Whatever wires (there should be four) that are left over are not used. Clip
them off and forget about them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 1:59*am, LouB wrote:
wrote:
[...]

filters are needed for all other phone lines.- Hide quoted text -

Well, ATT tech was the one who said Cat 5 is what they put these days.
In fact, he gave me the wire. I was using old wiring and DSL was
losing speed or completely going out all the time. Fortunately there
was a second unused Cat 3 interior line that went to the bedroom that
we ATT switched us to, and the problems went away. That's when the ATT
tech handed me the Cat 5 cable...

Since this line is dedicated to DSL, I don't use any filters.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 4:18*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

Here's a link to help:http://www.mrelectrician.tv/conversi...elephone.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for this.

Jack 1 and Jack 2 are connected with wires running between the
terminals. So green on Jack 1 and 2 are the same....

Does this make any difference in what you wrote? Maybe I leave the
green and brown out of the equation?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 4:52*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

them off and forget about them.- Hide quoted text -

As I wrote earlier to another message, the old cable (I think it is
the original from 1950s) gave us problems. That's when the ATT tech
suggested replacing it with Cat 5.

I don't like the idea of having the wife choose the colors: It'' take
her weeks before she can make up her mind

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Right. Just don't use the extra pairs. Coil them up and push them into
the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/22/2011 07:52 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't clip them, might want to add multiple phone lines (you can
carry four on a CAT5 or CAT6) or repurpose the cable run as Ethernet
down the road.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2011 2:14 PM, wrote:
On Sep 22, 4:18 am, "John wrote:
[...]

Red and Green are the only colors you have to be concerned about. I'm
assuming that you are putting the filter in line with the wire going to
the phone, right? Stated again to be clear, the filter plugs into one
of the 2 jacks on the plate, and then the phone is plugged into the
filter. The DSL modem would then plug directly (no filter) into the
other jack in the plate. In many cases, and in my house too, only one
filter is used for the whole house. The output of that filter goes to
all the phones in the house. A second line, unfiltered, coming from the
interface where the line enters the house, only goes to the DSL modem.
So it appears that in your case, you would really only connect the
blue/white pair to the red and green screws as was stated above. That
would now activate both jacks because they are tied together.

Typically, the other 2 screws (yellow and black) are used for other
things .... possibly a 2nd line where you have a 2 line phone, or
possibly to bring power to older phone that had lighted dials. Also,
in times gone by, the yellow was used mostly rural homes where you had 4
or 8 party lines, for the ringer.

The probable reason for suggesting CAT5 cable is that the pairs are much
tighter twisted and keep crosstalk lower. I'm not sure I would do this,
but I know people do use one CAT5 cable for both telephone and data.
Data usually only uses 2 pairs, telephone only uses one pair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:47:50 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Sep 21, 10:56Â*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

No, the DSL to the phone goes through a filter, while the line to the
DSL does not. All the filter does is takes out the audible portion of
the dsl signal so the phone line is not noizy.

You only need 1 pair of wires to each jack - follow your colour code
to be sure you do not "split a pair" The twisted wires almost totally
eliminate "common mode noise" from the lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:46:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 21, 9:47Â*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Sep 21, 10:56Â*pm, "

wrote:
Hello All:

ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?lan...

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...ba&page=play&r...

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

Thanks,

Deguza

P.S.: I found this at the Ace H/W site but it sis not make sense.

You do notr make sense either. Â*The output from the telco line goes to
a splitter which has telephone output and digital output. Â*The digital
output then goes to a modem or some means of connecting the digitasl
output to a computer,- Hide quoted text -

Hello:

There is no "splitter" involved when using DSL. Are you thinking of
the filters?

After the receptacle works, I will attach a filter to one of the jacks
and attach the phone there. The problem I am having is figuring out
the back of the receptacle. The receptacle has solid colored wires and
only two pairs of them. The cat 5 cable has striped lines and four
pairs of them.

See this: http://wiringwizard.com/primer/cables/cat5/

Regards

Chose a pair. Say orange/orange-white and call the orange green and
the orange-white green. Wire up one set. Do the same with, say blue/
blue-white for the red/green on the other set. Then use the , say,
brown/brown-white as the black/green on one set, etc untill you are
done. You really only need one pair per jack - the second pair is for
"line 2".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 8:56*pm, "
wrote:
Hello All:

ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?lan...

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...ba&page=play&r....

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

Thanks,

Deguza

P.S.: I found this at the Ace H/W site but it sis not make sense.

Thanks to all who wrote.

My DSL is working on the new Cat 5 line now.

I asked my wife to check it during the day to assure no disconnects,
etc. She says everything works smoothly. There is telephone service
on this line, although we do not use it, it functions properly as
well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Good point. I believe the accepted practice is to wind the unused wires
around the cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2011 11:18 PM, wrote:
On Sep 21, 8:56 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Why don't you use the phone service on the DSL line? Are you paying for
another separate line for phone service or don't you use any land line
phone? One of the advantages of DSL is that you don't need to pay for 2
lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 8:48*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 9/22/2011 11:18 PM, wrote:

On Sep 21, 8:56 pm, "
*wrote:
[...]

lines.- Hide quoted text -

Tony,

We don't use the landline based phone. Skype is our primary phone. My
wife and I both have telephone numbers for our Skype accounts. I can
pick up my calls to my Skype number either on my computer or on my
Android smart phone.

Since we needed a telephone service that is tied to a physical line
and an address we kept the telephone service.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2011 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:48 am, Tony wrote:
On 9/22/2011 11:18 PM, wrote:

On Sep 21, 8:56 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Oh, OK. I can't get a fast dependable connection here so skype is
something I forget about.

Telephone wiring 101. David Farber Electronics Repair 6 July 17th 10 05:16 AM
Telephone Wiring Bob Home Repair 33 September 14th 06 01:37 PM
Telephone wiring question chemqueries Home Repair 9 July 27th 05 05:32 AM
Telephone wiring question harry palmer Home Repair 3 September 27th 04 06:20 PM
telephone wiring question barry martin Home Repair 0 August 11th 04 02:43 AM