Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Telephone wiring question

wrote:
Hello All:

ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/... 2&R=202698502

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...*pXAHZK5NW4%24

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

It doesn't matter (much). The technician suggested Cat-5 wire because of the
physical characteristics of the wire. The pairs within the cable has a
specific twist throughout their length to minimize or cancel interference.

You should let your wife pick a color scheme compatible with her
sensibilities. Connect the incoming red-green pair to one set of colors
(e.g., blue-white, white-blue) and the yellow-black to another set of
colors.

Whatever wires (there should be four) that are left over are not used. Clip
them off and forget about them.