Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Telephone wiring question

On 9/22/2011 2:14 PM, wrote:
On Sep 22, 4:18 am, "John wrote:
ATT advised me to go to cat 5 with my telephone wiring to improve DSL
connectivity.

I've got a new dual phone receptacle to accommodate the DSL modem and
a phone simultaneously.

Here is what I got:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?lan...

I looked up online at various sites as to how to wire, but cannot
figure out the receptacle end.

Her is what the back of my receptacle looks like:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...ba&page=play&r...

How do I connect the cat 5 wires to this receptacle?

*It would have been easier with a 4 pair jack, but this will work. The
green and black are "Tip" and the red and yellow are "Ring"

On Jack #1
Connect the blue with white stripe to the green.
Connect the blue to red.
Connect the orange with white stripe to black.
Connect the orange to yellow.

On Jack #2
Connect the green with white stripe to the green.
Connect the green to red.
Connect the brown with white stripe to black.
Connect the brown to yellow.

Here's a link to help:http://www.mrelectrician.tv/conversi...elephone.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for this.

Jack 1 and Jack 2 are connected with wires running between the
terminals. So green on Jack 1 and 2 are the same....

Does this make any difference in what you wrote? Maybe I leave the
green and brown out of the equation?

Thanks!

Red and Green are the only colors you have to be concerned about. I'm
assuming that you are putting the filter in line with the wire going to
the phone, right? Stated again to be clear, the filter plugs into one
of the 2 jacks on the plate, and then the phone is plugged into the
filter. The DSL modem would then plug directly (no filter) into the
other jack in the plate. In many cases, and in my house too, only one
filter is used for the whole house. The output of that filter goes to
all the phones in the house. A second line, unfiltered, coming from the
interface where the line enters the house, only goes to the DSL modem.
So it appears that in your case, you would really only connect the
blue/white pair to the red and green screws as was stated above. That
would now activate both jacks because they are tied together.

Typically, the other 2 screws (yellow and black) are used for other
things .... possibly a 2nd line where you have a 2 line phone, or
possibly to bring power to older phone that had lighted dials. Also,
in times gone by, the yellow was used mostly rural homes where you had 4
or 8 party lines, for the ringer.

The probable reason for suggesting CAT5 cable is that the pairs are much
tighter twisted and keep crosstalk lower. I'm not sure I would do this,
but I know people do use one CAT5 cable for both telephone and data.
Data usually only uses 2 pairs, telephone only uses one pair.