Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wood floors

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 7:38*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

That's because there's an incredible amount of force generated by the
tiny contact area - on the order of thousands of pounds per square
inch, and your daughter's friends heels were worn down so that the
metal support rod was exposed. The manufacturer of that engineered
floor does take high heeled shoes into account - read the manual/
installation instructions and you will see the disclaimer.

Too bad about the floor. You'll notice those marks less over time as
the floor exhibits its inevitable wear over time. It's like the first
ding in a new car door - it really hurts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 10:48*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

Warranty claim...

Nope. I installed some of that flooring. The instructions clearly
say keep off it with spike heels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

Warranty claim...

So far Armstrong is suggesting that is normal wear and tear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 7:38*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

An elephant or a clydesdale will exert less stress on a floor than a
100 lb girl wearing stiletto heels.

JoeG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 11:26*am, GROVER wrote:
On Jun 24, 7:38*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

An elephant or a clydesdale will exert less stress on a floor than a
100 lb girl wearing stiletto heels.

JoeG

That's probably true since they have big feet. My cousin has a horse
that occasionally sneaks in the house but I don't recall any floor
damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.
=========

Spike heel caps need to be constantly monitored for wear, they never last
long. Otherwise the nail head is going to cause damage. Sorry to hear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2011 11:14 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In monster.com,
"Pete wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

Warranty claim...

So far Armstrong is suggesting that is normal wear and tear.

Spike heels are (were) well known to damage floors. They've been out of
style for so long that everyone has forgotten....the heels are so small
that all the weight is concentrated in a small area...pretty much like
pounding in a spike.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 4:38*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

Kurt-

That is truly a bummer.

The problem is..... high heels are the bane of wood flooring.

As Rico posted the force of a person's weight applied over tiny area
of a high heel tip generates very high contact stress.

My mom (may she rest in peace) was a high heel wearer nearly her
entire life.
She would come home from work & cook dinner in high heels on the solid
oak floor.
There were many small about 3/8" diameter but very shallow indents.

Here is a link to cross grain compression of various wood species...
these numbers are at the "elastic limit", meaning stresses above this
will generate permanent impressions.

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improve...-Strength.html

The cross grain compressive elastic limit stress for oak is about 850
psi

I measured the diameter of various heel tips.

..625 x .625 (round) not a high heel .31 sq in
..375 x .625 (oval) semi high heel .24 sq in

"high" high heel (best guess at a worst case tip size)
..375 x .375 (round) .11 sq in

put a 100 pound girl on a single heel tip (don't even consider dynamic
effect due to dancing) and you get these contact stress

~325 psi
~420 psi
~900 psi

so the smaller diameter heel tips are getting close to the "damage
limit".

Put a heavier girl (120? 150?) in the shoes and the stress goes
higher.
Someone on poorly a maintained heel, as Rico pointed out, is way over
the limit.

Going down to the diameter of a BB (~.18) and now you're at 3,600
psi ..........
even a 1/4" diameter giv you 2,000 psi.

I don't know the compressive capacity of engineered wood floor product
but I assume its in the same ball park as real wood.
Even if the substrate has better compression properties than real
wood, the face ply is still real wood.

How about a sign?

"Fat people, please dance barefooted"
or
"Check your hooves & shoes"

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Put a heavier girl in the shoes or
someone on poorly maintained heel (as Rico pointed out) and you're
over the limit.

Going down to the diameter of a BB (~.18) and now you're at 3,600
psi ..........
even a 1/4" diameter give you 2,000 psi

I don't know the compressive capacity of engineered wood floor product
but I assume its in the same ball park.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:06:58 -0500, "Nelly"
wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
om...

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.
=========

Spike heel caps need to be constantly monitored for wear, they never last
long. Otherwise the nail head is going to cause damage. Sorry to hear.

Large dogs need to have nails clipped often. They can scratch the
surface of some wood flooring material. Happened to a previous
neighbor.
==========

Problem, Oren?
I've yet to see any dog damage to a floor that can compare to that of a
5'8", 125-lb woman walking around in what amounts to nail punches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nelly" wrote
Large dogs need to have nails clipped often. They can scratch the
surface of some wood flooring material. Happened to a previous
neighbor.
==========

Problem, Oren?
I've yet to see any dog damage to a floor that can compare to that of a
5'8", 125-lb woman walking around in what amounts to nail punches.

Depends on what you've seen. Heels make them tiny indents, but dog nails
can scratch the hell out of the surface. Neither one belongs on hardwood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote the following:
We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

Many years ago, a woman with high heels attended a party at our house
and after she left, there was a lot of small dents in our wood floor. It
appeared that one, or both of her heels had lost the small rubber soles
(?) on the heels and all that was left were the heads of the small nails
that hold the rubber soles on.
The floor was 6" x 6" engineered parquet oak veneer tiles.
If your flooring has real wood veneer, you might try some lemon oil to
raise the grain in those dents. It helped somewhat on our floor.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Nelly" wrote
Large dogs need to have nails clipped often. They can scratch the
surface of some wood flooring material. Happened to a previous
neighbor.
==========

Problem, Oren?
I've yet to see any dog damage to a floor that can compare to that of a
5'8", 125-lb woman walking around in what amounts to nail punches.

Depends on what you've seen. Heels make them tiny indents, but dog nails
can scratch the hell out of the surface. Neither one belongs on hardwood.
==========

Don't know how dogs came into this, and maybe I've just forgotten but it
seemed like the deepest damage my lab did was from scratching at the door.
Plenty of that around. But neglected heels ruin in seconds, & some of the
damage I've seen was deeper than dents, especially on softer surfaces like
decks & "linoleum". Probably the shoes would have to be let go shamefully
long to do some of what I've seen, but it really doesn't take long for them
to start. I doubt I got much more than 10 walking hours per pair before the
nails were visible.
They should all come with warnings.
If I ever get nice flooring again, I think I'll suddenly remember I was from
Michigan & have guests leave their shoes at the door, if I see any
stilettos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2011 3:09 PM, Nelly wrote:

[...]

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

But having said that- I remember a Reader's Digest 'Life's most
embarrassing moments' filler piece where a lady describes going to a
museum in Europe, wearing heels, and the door-person hands her a couple
of plastic doo-hickeys. She assumes they are headphones, and tries to
fit them to her ears, until another tourist shows her that they are
snap-on heel guards to protect the priceless inlaid wood floors in the
museum.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

Andy Capp opined that men like to look at women's legs and high heels give
them a longer look.

It's said that Marilyn Monroe cut 1/4" off one heel of her shoes so she
could get a more natural "wiggle."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
aemeijers wrote:

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

Andy Capp opined that men like to look at women's legs and high heels give
them a longer look.

It also changes the woman's posture. The pubic region pushes out a bit too.
Maybe it stimulates them a bit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2011 9:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
aemeijers wrote:

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

Andy Capp opined that men like to look at women's legs and high heels
give them a longer look.

It also changes the woman's posture. The pubic region pushes out a bit
too. Maybe it stimulates them a bit?

Nah, I think it is just the constant brainwashing most of them get as
kids, from older females and the mass media. 'Dressing up' = heels.
Feeling sexy when playing dressup is also learned behavior. Western
equivalent of the foot binding the Chinese used to practice. IIRC, it
started in Old Europe, for both sexes, to make the wearers look taller
and more important.

The historical reasons don't really matter at this point. They are dumb,
and lead to all sorts of medical problems, including increased risk of
immediate injury if circumstances call for moving fast. Women should
tell the old-school men and fashion designers to eff off, and refuse to
wear them. Here is a clue, ladies- if they make your feet hurt, they are
BAD for you.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:11:29 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
aemeijers wrote:

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

If the shoes fit properly they shouldn't be painful.

Andy Capp opined that men like to look at women's legs and high heels give
them a longer look.

It also changes the woman's posture. The pubic region pushes out a bit too.
Maybe it stimulates them a bit?

They make the leg and butt muscles more defined.

Women dress for women, not men. If they dressed for men, they wouldn't. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:39:27 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:52:04 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Nelly" wrote
Large dogs need to have nails clipped often. They can scratch the
surface of some wood flooring material. Happened to a previous
neighbor.
==========

Problem, Oren?
I've yet to see any dog damage to a floor that can compare to that of a
5'8", 125-lb woman walking around in what amounts to nail punches.

Depends on what you've seen. Heels make them tiny indents, but dog nails
can scratch the hell out of the surface. Neither one belongs on hardwood.

My big old dog only managed to scratch off old hardened varnish.
Never scratched the oak flooring.
After we put her down, we had the floors sanded and 3 coats of poly
put on it.

Pretty drastic penalty for scratching the floors, no? ;-)

The medium and little dog haven't even scratched it.
Maybe they need more time.
Tracking in grit on your shoe bottoms and dragging around unpadded
furniture is what tears a floor up.

Or a contractor's kid using a piece of cardboard and 5-gal can as a
merry-go-round while dad is tearing out a wall. :-(

Opening the box the mailman delivered and then dropping the alternator
on the floor will mess it up too.
Just guessing there. I've had to yell at my son not to bring various
auto parts into the house to show me.
"Get that damned manifold out of here!"

Grease does wonders for the paint job, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:49:03 -0400, willshak wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote the following:
We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

Many years ago, a woman with high heels attended a party at our house
and after she left, there was a lot of small dents in our wood floor. It
appeared that one, or both of her heels had lost the small rubber soles
(?) on the heels and all that was left were the heads of the small nails
that hold the rubber soles on.
The floor was 6" x 6" engineered parquet oak veneer tiles.
If your flooring has real wood veneer, you might try some lemon oil to
raise the grain in those dents. It helped somewhat on our floor.

A steam iron might work, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:58:06 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 6/26/2011 5:41 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:11:29 -0400, "Ed wrote:

wrote in message
m...
aemeijers wrote:

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

If the shoes fit properly they shouldn't be painful.

I don't think is it possible for high heels to not be painful, for more
than a few minutes at a time.

I don't have any personal experience, but if you say so. ;-) Stacy
What's-her-name um, looks it up London) on What Not to Wear keeps saying
that if they're fit right they feel fine.

It is a totally un-natural position for
the squeezed toes, arch, and ankle to be in. Women may build up a
tolerance (much like ballet dancers do), but extended wearing can't help
but do damage to the feet.

Evidence?

Look under the desks in any office building-
almost all the women keep a second set of shoes to actually wear during
the day, or don't wear heels (even medium-height ones) at all. And
'these heels are killing me' is a standard refrain at parties, right
before they find a couch to sit on and kick the silly things off as they
tuck their legs up under them.

Hell, I take my shoes off when I'm at my desk. ...and they're walking shoes.

Hey, I'm not a foot fetishist or anything- I have 5 sisters, and I've
heard it all. They all went through their fashionista phase, but
thankfully outgrew it.

I think women look nice in heels but other than that have no skin in the game.
Full disclosure, SWMBO doesn't wear spikes. Never has, to my knowledge (and
we've been married 40 years, if that means anything ;-).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
aemeijers wrote:

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

Andy Capp opined that men like to look at women's legs and high heels give
them a longer look.

It's said that Marilyn Monroe cut 1/4" off one heel of her shoes so she
could get a more natural "wiggle."

The secret to a good wiggle is to walk Indian style, placing each foot on an
imaginary straight line one ahead of the other as she walks. Learned that
from a runway model when I used to do portfolio work for them.

Just watched "Some Like It Hot" the other night. That MM sure had "IT" with
capital letters.

Heard of a lease that specifically prohibited the occupants from wearing
spike heels.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My big old dog only managed to scratch off old hardened varnish.
Never scratched the oak flooring.
After we put her down, we had the floors sanded and 3 coats of poly
put on it.

Pretty drastic penalty for scratching the floors, no? ;-)

hehe.

Or a contractor's kid using a piece of cardboard and 5-gal can as a
merry-go-round while dad is tearing out a wall. :-(

That'll work.

Opening the box the mailman delivered and then dropping the alternator
on the floor will mess it up too.
Just guessing there. I've had to yell at my son not to bring various
auto parts into the house to show me.
"Get that damned manifold out of here!"

Grease does wonders for the paint job, too.

Only problem I had with grease was when he smudged up the bathroom
sink and shower. Don't know how he managed to miss everything else.
After a couple times I laid down the law.
Already had plenty of GoJo and rags in the garage,
Made him recaulk the entire tub/shower too, so it was win-win.
Then I bought him a couple pairs of good coveralls.
A couple sizes too large so you can drop them and step out of them
easy.
He's good now. Almost.
A few days ago he came in from doing some brake work.
Clean hands and freshly laundered coveralls.
When he left I saw the dark chair he sat on was all tan with Oil-Dri
dust.
Must have sat on the garage floor.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 5:32*pm, DD_BobK wrote:

I don't know the compressive capacity of engineered wood floor product
but I assume its in the same ball park as real wood.
Even if the substrate has better compression properties than real
wood, the face ply is still real wood.

That is exactly what I was wondering as I read the original post. My
first thought was that engineered floors might be more susceptible;
but when I think about it I'm not so sure. Our floors are 3/4"
natural oak and after nearly 2-1/2 years they have picked up a few
dings (AKA real-life patina :^} ). However, most have been caused by
some kind of impact such as a Pizza Stone falling from about
6' (didn't do the stone any good either). We also put a little dent
in during the moving process. No heels yet and I don't plan to test.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

But they look great and its nice to know a woman is willing to be
uncomfortable for men

If it were up to me pants and flat shoes would be illegal on women.

A gal in stilletoes wobbles so nice when walking, but yes I do feel
bad for them.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 24, 2011 4:41:36 PM UTC+3, RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 24, 7:38*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

That's because there's an incredible amount of force generated by the
tiny contact area - on the order of thousands of pounds per square
inch, and your daughter's friends heels were worn down so that the
metal support rod was exposed. The manufacturer of that engineered
floor does take high heeled shoes into account - read the manual/
installation instructions and you will see the disclaimer.

Too bad about the floor. You'll notice those marks less over time as
the floor exhibits its inevitable wear over time. It's like the first
ding in a new car door - it really hurts.

Hi
we are a company that operates in Saudi Arabia
too bad we are in different district other wise we could help you by proposing a solution from Chemical company called Chimiver.
it will revive the parquet & reduce the effect that the scratches leave on your wooden flooring.
visit our website where the kink is there & maybe you can find the product at your country.
www.alkayandecor.com

Senior Member

Kurt:

Quote:
Some areas look like they took a BB gun to it.
The heel on stilletto shoes isn't rounded like a BB is. It's a "D" shape.

Take a close look at the indentations with the aid of a bright light held close to the floor so that you can clearly see it's outline. If it's round, then I expect that the tip of the heel was missing from at least one of thse shoes so that the steel pin inside was exposed.

And, of course, the round end of the steel pin is going to exert more pressure at the point of contact than even a small "D" shaped heel will.

I expect one of your sister's friends didn't know her shoes were damaged, or didn't have a second pair of shoes to wear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Similar happened to my wood parquet floor. It appeared that the woman
had lost the rubber soles on her high heels leaving only the heads of
the nails exposed. This happened about 10 years ago and the dents are
still there.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
wrote:
[...]

But did they ever find the body?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 7:38 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
We had a party for our daughter yesterday. The high heels of one her
friends did serious damage to our 3-week-old engineered wood floors. Is
this normal? Seems like high heels should be taken into account. Some
areas look like they took a BB gun to it.

I keep a bathroom scale by the door. If they weigh over 120 and wearing
heels, they don't get in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 6:44*pm, willshak wrote:
....ship....

Similar happened to my wood parquet floor. It appeared that the woman
had lost the rubber soles on her high heels leaving only the heads of
the nails exposed. This happened about 10 years ago and the dents are
still there.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Professionals 'steam' dents out. They did that to our grand piano top
and got pretty close to flat again. [I couldn't watch, so can't share
their technique.]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Professional method to wood floor sanding London with advance and unique service provider that's name Fix Flooring which is helping to archive multiple Flooring like

Floor sanding services
Laminate Flooring Installation
Engineered wood floor install
Choice of laminates
Floor sanding services
Laminate Flooring Installation
Wood floor restorations
Gap Filling
Wood Floor varnishing
Wood Floor staining
Parquet flooring
Floor sanding

Visit for more info : http://www.fixflooring.co.uk/

wood floors bob kater Woodworking 2 May 10th 07 04:15 AM
WOOD FLOORS; nkz9 Woodworking 0 August 12th 06 03:27 PM
where to buy dye for wood floors jo_jo Woodworking 15 July 30th 06 01:23 AM
Bad wood floors Louie Home Repair 6 July 19th 06 01:57 AM
Kitchen floors suggestions ?(cork, vinal, wood, laminate wood) c_kubie Home Repair 14 December 6th 03 08:37 PM