Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default wood floors

On 6/25/2011 3:09 PM, Nelly wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Nelly" wrote
Large dogs need to have nails clipped often. They can scratch the
surface of some wood flooring material. Happened to a previous
neighbor.
==========

Problem, Oren?
I've yet to see any dog damage to a floor that can compare to that of
a 5'8", 125-lb woman walking around in what amounts to nail punches.

Depends on what you've seen. Heels make them tiny indents, but dog nails
can scratch the hell out of the surface. Neither one belongs on hardwood.
==========

Don't know how dogs came into this, and maybe I've just forgotten but it
seemed like the deepest damage my lab did was from scratching at the
door. Plenty of that around. But neglected heels ruin in seconds, & some
of the damage I've seen was deeper than dents, especially on softer
surfaces like decks & "linoleum". Probably the shoes would have to be
let go shamefully long to do some of what I've seen, but it really
doesn't take long for them to start. I doubt I got much more than 10
walking hours per pair before the nails were visible.
They should all come with warnings.
If I ever get nice flooring again, I think I'll suddenly remember I was
from Michigan & have guests leave their shoes at the door, if I see any
stilettos.

Never did understand why women wear those idiotic foot cripplers. Most
men could care less, and would prefer the ladies around them to be
comfortable, and therefore less cranky.

But having said that- I remember a Reader's Digest 'Life's most
embarrassing moments' filler piece where a lady describes going to a
museum in Europe, wearing heels, and the door-person hands her a couple
of plastic doo-hickeys. She assumes they are headphones, and tries to
fit them to her ears, until another tourist shows her that they are
snap-on heel guards to protect the priceless inlaid wood floors in the
museum.

--
aem sends...