Posted to alt.home.repair
Nelly[_2_] Nelly[_2_] is offline

Default wood floors

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Nelly" wrote
Large dogs need to have nails clipped often. They can scratch the
surface of some wood flooring material. Happened to a previous
neighbor.
==========

Problem, Oren?
I've yet to see any dog damage to a floor that can compare to that of a
5'8", 125-lb woman walking around in what amounts to nail punches.

Depends on what you've seen. Heels make them tiny indents, but dog nails
can scratch the hell out of the surface. Neither one belongs on hardwood.
==========

Don't know how dogs came into this, and maybe I've just forgotten but it
seemed like the deepest damage my lab did was from scratching at the door.
Plenty of that around. But neglected heels ruin in seconds, & some of the
damage I've seen was deeper than dents, especially on softer surfaces like
decks & "linoleum". Probably the shoes would have to be let go shamefully
long to do some of what I've seen, but it really doesn't take long for them
to start. I doubt I got much more than 10 walking hours per pair before the
nails were visible.
They should all come with warnings.
If I ever get nice flooring again, I think I'll suddenly remember I was from
Michigan & have guests leave their shoes at the door, if I see any
stilettos.