Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homeowner's Insurance Claim -- use it to repair roof?

There was a hailstorm that came through our area last year, and I got
around
to filing a claim as I suspected that some damage was sustained to our
roof.
Just about everyone on our street had suffered roof/siding damage as well.

The adjuster came out and found no damage to the roof, but did find damage
to the siding, so they paid a claim to have the siding repaired only.

My siding is fine, the damage is cosmetic. The roof is shot and
desperately
needs replacing. Can I use the claim money paid for the siding to replace
the roof instead? What trouble will I get myself into? My insurance
company is USAA.

Need help/advice as I'm going to have to figure out how to cough up almost
$10k if I have to replace the roof out of pocket.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ms960" wrote in message
oups.com...
There was a hailstorm that came through our area last year, and I got
around
to filing a claim as I suspected that some damage was sustained to our
roof.
Just about everyone on our street had suffered roof/siding damage as well.

The adjuster came out and found no damage to the roof, but did find damage
to the siding, so they paid a claim to have the siding repaired only.

My siding is fine, the damage is cosmetic. The roof is shot and
desperately
needs replacing. Can I use the claim money paid for the siding to replace
the roof instead? What trouble will I get myself into? My insurance
company is USAA.

Need help/advice as I'm going to have to figure out how to cough up almost
$10k if I have to replace the roof out of pocket.

Thanks!

They won't cover damage to the siding if it occurs in the future unless you
can prove that you replaced it after the last claim. Or in the event of a
total loss they will deduct the previously paid amount from the total loss
value.

If they cut you a check for the damage and you have in your hands you can
spend it any way you like. Getting someone to give you a bill for siding
when they are really doing a roof would be fraud and both of you can get in
a heap of trouble for that.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/2011 12:39 PM, ms960 wrote:
There was a hailstorm that came through our area last year, and I got
around
to filing a claim as I suspected that some damage was sustained to our
roof.
Just about everyone on our street had suffered roof/siding damage as well.

The adjuster came out and found no damage to the roof, but did find damage
to the siding, so they paid a claim to have the siding repaired only.

My siding is fine, the damage is cosmetic. The roof is shot and
desperately
needs replacing. Can I use the claim money paid for the siding to replace
the roof instead? What trouble will I get myself into? My insurance
company is USAA.

Need help/advice as I'm going to have to figure out how to cough up almost
$10k if I have to replace the roof out of pocket.

Thanks!

Have a trusted roofer come out and assess your roof. Then submit the
claim to your insurance company.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 12:39*pm, (ms960) wrote:
[...]

If there was hail damage you should be able to photograph it, get a
roofer out to look it over because maybe the insurance co adjuster
missed it. Did you get siding bids as well to see if he offered
enough? How about gutters and cracked glass. You can use the money for
whatever you want. Get a few contractors out to look it over
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 2, 1:39*pm, (ms960) wrote:
[...]

Hail can not damage roof, but it can dent flashing. I don't see why
you can't use money as needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 May 2011 16:05:48 -0500, JimT wrote:

[...]

His roof is shot, but apparently not hail damaged, so it is not an
insurance claim. He needs to replace the roof, even if it means a
second mortgage on the house to pay for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/11 3:32 PM, zek wrote:
On May 2, 1:39 pm, (ms960) wrote:
[...]

What ??
Go to Google Images, search "hail damaged roof", you will see
thousands of pics of roof damage. (Especially slate roofs, they look
like they have bullet holes in them !)
Posted to alt.home.repair

ms960 wrote:
[...]

You may use the money to repair your roof, fix the siding, or have wild
week-end in Vegas. The money is yours to do with as you see fit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
zek spewed forth:
On May 2, 1:39 pm, (ms960) wrote:
[...]

Really?
I had my roof replaced 19 years ago because of hail.
Please don't tell Liberty Mutual than, Mkay?

Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...of-632743-.htm
ms960 wrote:
A little more details, for those who asked:

I had a "storm-chaser" company come out and do an assessment of the roof,
and claimed there was all kinds of hail damage to the roof. They then met
with the insurance adjuster. After which, the adjuster denied there was
hail damage anywhere to the house and flat out denied my claim.

I then hired a respected company come out and perform their own
assessment, along with photos, estimates, and sketch-ups. I pressed the
issue with the insurance company, so they hired a structural engineer to
do a reassessment. The structural engineer meet with this second company
and found hail damage to the siding, but not the roof. The insurance
company paid the claim for the siding to be repaired, but obviously
nothing for the roof.

I really could care less about my siding. As I said, it's mostly
cosmetic, and my house has a brick front, so it's not very visible. The
roof, on the other hand, from everyone's assessments, is shot. It's a 30-
yr old roof and desperately in need of replacement, but without any help
from the insurance company, it's going to be expensive.

So that's the impetus for my first question -- can I use the money from
the insurance company that was for the siding instead for the roof? I've
heard from a lot of people, here included, and there doesn't seem to be a
clear cut answer either way.

Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

(ms960) wrote in
oups.com:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rance-Claim-us
e-it-to-repair-roof-632743-.htm ms960 wrote:
[...]

As has been said here before, the money is yours now to be used as you
see fit. For the next claim on damage to your home, the insurance
company will look at what you did with the proceeds of this claim.

If your car gets rear-ended, and the insurance company pays for the
damage to the rear end of the car, you can use the money to buy a new
motorcycle. But if you get another accident with the car, say a
sidewswipe, the insurance company will see what you did with the previous
claim, and it will be a corrupt or stupid adjuster who says that the
sideswipe caused the damage to the rear of the car.

I think the insurance company is saying that you have a roof that's at
the end of its life. Normal maintenance requires replacement. There is
no hail damage of any consequence since the roof was shot before the
hail. Unless you make new dormers or otherwise remodel (when the new
roof would be an "improvement", taxwise), the new roof is an out of
pocket expense.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 7:58*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
ms960 wrote:

So that's the impetus for my first question -- can I use the money
from the insurance company that was for the siding instead for the
roof? *I've heard from a lot of people, here included, and there
doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer either way.

Yes.

I agree. I think you can use the money anyway you like. It's not
fraud unless you have another storm and try to claim the siding got
damaged again. That's fraud.

Peple do the same thing with car insurance all the time. You can
decide not to fix your car if you think you can live with the damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/2011 1:39 PM, ms960 wrote:
There was a hailstorm that came through our area last year, and I got
around
to filing a claim as I suspected that some damage was sustained to our
roof.
Just about everyone on our street had suffered roof/siding damage as well.

The adjuster came out and found no damage to the roof, but did find damage
to the siding, so they paid a claim to have the siding repaired only.

My siding is fine, the damage is cosmetic. The roof is shot and
desperately
needs replacing. Can I use the claim money paid for the siding to replace
the roof instead? What trouble will I get myself into? My insurance
company is USAA.

Need help/advice as I'm going to have to figure out how to cough up almost
$10k if I have to replace the roof out of pocket.

Thanks!

I've had USAA insurance since 1976 and unfortunately, have had many auto
and homeowner's claims with them. My experience has been excellent. I
have found them to be very customer oriented and to provide excellent
claims service.

You did not say explicitly why you feel that your roof is "shot". Is it
because of the storm, is it near the end of its normal lifespan, or
both. If you feel that the storm significantly damaged your otherwise
in-good-condition roof, call USAA back, explain your concerns, and ask
them for a second adjuster to come and take a look. Your investment
will only be a toll-free call and a few minutes of your time. Chances
are that they will agree to your request. However, if the roof is near
the end of its normal lifespan, it will probably be considered the same
as a 1990 Chevy with $7,000 of collision damages - i.e., you would get a
few hundred $ at most, even if you were paying for comprehensive
collision coverage with no deductible.

As for using the proceeds of an insurance claim for a purpose other than
intended by the insurance company, I'm not a lawyer and won't offer a
legal opinion. I would be concerned however that it might violate the
terms of your insurance policy and be grounds for USAA to cancel your
policy and/or your eligibility for any other insurance products that
they sell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...of-632743-.htm
ms960 wrote:

The roof is shot because it's at the end of it's lifespan. The shingles
are just worn out. None of my neighbors have the same insurance company
that I do, but they all had their roofs replaced due to the hail storm
after filing such a claim. My insurance company is the only one I know of
to deny a claim from the same storm. None of the houses in my
neighborhood are any older than mine, yet mine is the only one to be
denied. Makes me wonder.

I did get some advice elsewhere (not here) that said it is fraud to use
the money for anything other than the intended repairs (siding). Most, if
not all, the replies here have said that I can use it however I want.

My hesitation comes from using the money intended for siding replacement
on the roof, and then later having a siding problem for some reason.

I guess, ultimately, the decision is mine to weigh and figure out how to
proceed. I just don't want to run afoul of the insurance company in any
way.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 10:14*am, (ms960) wrote:
responding tohttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Homeowner-s-Insurance-Claim-...

ms960 wrote:

[...]

You're going to have to sign something when you get that moeny. Read
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ms960 wrote:

[...]

A 30 year-old roof is probably shot due to age, in addition to any
hail damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the check is large and you have a mortage the money goes to the
mortage company to assure the property doesnt go down in value.

This involves perodic inspections during repairs, photos of work to
prove its been done to code etc etc etc.

a real PIA.

for 500 bucks they may just cut you a check but if its a lot of
money theres a long list of requirements so you cant just get the
check and go to vegas
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

ms960 wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the back of the check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:26:10 -0600, Reed wrote:

On 5/2/11 3:32 PM, zek wrote:
On May 2, 1:39 pm, (ms960) wrote:
[...]

Which is one GOOD reason slate roofs are very uncommon in the
American mid-west and south (and actually MOST of North America.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 May 2011 12:06:16 GMT, Han wrote:

(ms960) wrote in
roups.com:

[...]

That may be the way it works in the USA, but here in Canada they pay
for the authourized repairs unless they give you a "cash settlement".

In the case of a car, the car is not insurable untill the repairs are
done (third party liability, possibly, but collision or comprehensive,
no way) A car that gets "paid out" is generally branded as a "total"
and requires an extensive inspection to put it back on the road and
have it insured.

You COULD be opening yourself up to charges having the insurance
company pay for one thing while getting another - consult with a legal
professional or insurance professional in your state.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

wrote in
:

On 03 May 2011 12:06:16 GMT, Han wrote:

(ms960) wrote in
groups.com:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...surance-Claim-
[...]

Personally I have gone the opposite route. Damage (self-inflicted) on
the car went unrepaired and a new insurnce company now knows the
condition of the car. No money changed hands at any point. But I think
your comments were directed more at the OP.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would have the insurance oney replace the siding ADD INSULATION! and
try to have the roof replaced at that time too.

You might check with your states insurance commision, if all the other
same age homes were approved for roof damage, the insurance commision
MIGHT be able to get yours approved too.

do you have replacement insurance? or depreciated insurance?

replacement insurance costs more but whatever loss gets you a BRAND
NEW whatever

depreciated cheap insurance works as follows

the 30 year old roof is damaged. a new roof is 10 grand. Divide 10
grand by 30 years, unlucky you heres your check foir 250 bucks have a
nice day, you are paid in full.

look if insurance wouldnt cover it you still needed a new roof its 30
years old

Its cheaper to replace NOW before roof leaks damage rof deck and bring
down interior cielings and cause mold!