Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Homeowner's insurance

A thief broke into my garage through a locked entry door.

He stole tools, a suitcase, other items and a key-ring containing a
spare-set of car keys and a remote-transmitter. My HOMEOWNER'S
INSURANCE policy (issued by USAA) will cover all of those items.

To prevent the thief from returning and stealing my car, I had the car
door-locks changed, had new keys made, bought two new
remote-transmitters and had them re-programmed. USAA says I need to
file a claim against my CAR INSURANCE policy (issued by State Farm) for
these items.

Since my car was parked in the garage when the theft occurred,
shouldn't my homeowner's insurance policy cover these items, too?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"gary" writes:

A thief broke into my garage through a locked entry door.

He stole tools, a suitcase, other items and a key-ring containing a
spare-set of car keys and a remote-transmitter. My HOMEOWNER'S
INSURANCE policy (issued by USAA) will cover all of those items.

To prevent the thief from returning and stealing my car, I had the car
door-locks changed, had new keys made, bought two new
remote-transmitters and had them re-programmed. USAA says I need to
file a claim against my CAR INSURANCE policy (issued by State Farm) for
these items.

Since my car was parked in the garage when the theft occurred,
shouldn't my homeowner's insurance policy cover these items, too?

Not sure how your specific policy reads, but I'd encourage you to read
the language and make a judgement of the veracity of this. Seems odd
to me too. It wouldn't surprise me if it falls through the cracks of
both policies honestly since it's preventive in nature rather than a
loss of use issue.

After this is settled, a home and highway policy typically saves you a
good chunk of money and would have the benefit of eliminating this
sort of fingerpointing and providing one stop shopping.

The new remote transmitters probably weren't necessary by the way.
Popping open the cover and re-setting some of the dip switches and
hitting the learn button on your opener and hitting the button of the
transmitters was probably all you needed there.

Sorry this happened to ya all the same. Let us know how it shakes
out. Maybe someone here has similar experience they can relay.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"gary" wrote:

USAA says I need to
file a claim against my CAR INSURANCE policy (issued by State Farm) for
these items.

Since my car was parked in the garage when the theft occurred,
shouldn't my homeowner's insurance policy cover these items, too?

In my experience, USAA is pretty straight when it comes to claims. In this case,
they are right on. Its no different than if your car was parked in the driveway
in a hailstorm. The comprehensive section of your auto policy applies, not your
homeowners insurance.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Hi Todd,

The remote-transmitters locked and unlocked my car doors (they did not
open and close the garage door).

Gary

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"gary" wrote:

The remote-transmitters locked and unlocked my car doors (they did not
open and close the garage door).

Right. But they are usually programmable to match the vehicle. So if you changed
the vehicle code, all you needed to do was re-program the remote - not buy new
ones.