Posted to misc.consumers.house
gary gary is offline

Default Homeowner's insurance

A thief broke into my garage through a locked entry door.

He stole tools, a suitcase, other items and a key-ring containing a
spare-set of car keys and a remote-transmitter. My HOMEOWNER'S
INSURANCE policy (issued by USAA) will cover all of those items.

To prevent the thief from returning and stealing my car, I had the car
door-locks changed, had new keys made, bought two new
remote-transmitters and had them re-programmed. USAA says I need to
file a claim against my CAR INSURANCE policy (issued by State Farm) for
these items.

Since my car was parked in the garage when the theft occurred,
shouldn't my homeowner's insurance policy cover these items, too?