Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Homeowner's Insurance Claim -- use it to repair roof?

On May 3, 10:29*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 3, 10:14*am, (ms960) wrote:

responding tohttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Homeowner-s-Insurance-Claim-...

ms960 wrote:

The roof is shot because it's at the end of it's lifespan. *The shingles
are just worn out. *None of my neighbors have the same insurance company
that I do, but they all had their roofs replaced due to the hail storm
after filing such a claim. *My insurance company is the only one I know of
to deny a claim from the same storm. *None of the houses in my
neighborhood are any older than mine, yet mine is the only one to be
denied. *Makes me wonder. *

I did get some advice elsewhere (not here) that said it is fraud to use
the money for anything other than the intended repairs (siding). *Most, if
not all, the replies here have said that I can use it however I want.

My hesitation comes from using the money intended for siding replacement
on the roof, and then later having a siding problem for some reason.

I guess, ultimately, the decision is mine to weigh and figure out how to
proceed. *I just don't want to run afoul of the insurance company in any
way.

Thanks.

You're going to have to sign something when you get that moeny. *Read
it.

Yeah, the back of the check.