Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Homeowner's Insurance Claim -- use it to repair roof?

On 5/2/2011 12:39 PM, ms960 wrote:
There was a hailstorm that came through our area last year, and I got
around
to filing a claim as I suspected that some damage was sustained to our
roof.
Just about everyone on our street had suffered roof/siding damage as well.

The adjuster came out and found no damage to the roof, but did find damage
to the siding, so they paid a claim to have the siding repaired only.

My siding is fine, the damage is cosmetic. The roof is shot and
desperately
needs replacing. Can I use the claim money paid for the siding to replace
the roof instead? What trouble will I get myself into? My insurance
company is USAA.

Need help/advice as I'm going to have to figure out how to cough up almost
$10k if I have to replace the roof out of pocket.

Thanks!

Have a trusted roofer come out and assess your roof. Then submit the
claim to your insurance company.

Jim