Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Tony

Default Question FL Homeowner's insurance

I realize this newsgroup may not be the best place to get an answer to this
question, but I thought I'd at least see if anyone else has had experience
with this.

On September16 my home was in Hurricane Ivan. Compared to many homes around
mine, my home was only minimally damaged. (I know a few people with
catastophic damage.) In light of that, I've been very patient in waiting
for my insurance company to send an adjustor to assess my damage. Today
marks 3 weeks since the claim, though, and I haven't yet heard anything from
my adjustor. I'd like to get cleaned up and get on with getting life back
to normal.

On Monday I got a call from Nationwide asking me about my claim. I told
them I still hadn't seen an adjustor. The lady indicated she was very
surprised by that and would put in for me to see one ASAP. I still haven't
heard from anyone.

At any rate, here's my question: My home, which is mainly brick with some
vinyl siding and painted wood trim elements, is very dirty from the flying
leaves, dirt, etc. kicked up by the storm. I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home. Does anyone know if something like this
is typically covered by homeowner's insurance for hurricanes?

The policy is worded very vaguely (undoubtedly on purpose) and when I asked
Nationwide they told me that my adjustor would have to answer that. My
concern is that if I don't get some of this mess off the house soon it will
perhaps ruin the paint and perhaps even stain the brick. My problem is that
it will be hard to photograph this to clearly show the dirty areas in a
meaningful way in the photos.

Worst case scenario, I suppose, is that I'd spend a couple hundred dollars
on something not reimbursed, but ideally I'd like to know before I make the
purchase.

Anyone have any advice?

Tony

Charles Spitzer

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

wouldn't it be far under your deductible even if covered?

if you don't want to spend the money to buy it, rent it for a few dollars
for a day and then it won't matter. typically insurance probably won't cover
tools, but it would cover rental of tools, but that would be FAR under a
deductible.

Tony

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

wouldn't it be far under your deductible even if covered?

if you don't want to spend the money to buy it, rent it for a few dollars
for a day and then it won't matter. typically insurance probably won't
cover tools, but it would cover rental of tools, but that would be FAR
under a deductible.

If it were all I had in the way of expenses, then absolutely it would be far
below my deductible. With other items, though, I'm not going to have
problems meeting the deductible.

Tony

Todd Copeland

"Tony" wrote in message
I realize this newsgroup may not be the best place to get an answer to

this
question, but I thought I'd at least see if anyone else has had experience
with this.

On September16 my home was in Hurricane Ivan. Compared to many homes

around
mine, my home was only minimally damaged. (I know a few people with
catastophic damage.) In light of that, I've been very patient in

waiting
for my insurance company to send an adjustor to assess my damage. Today
marks 3 weeks since the claim, though, and I haven't yet heard anything

from
my adjustor. I'd like to get cleaned up and get on with getting life back
to normal.

Not unusual. Carriers usually handle claims in order of sevaraty. There are
many homes with damaged roofs and water damage to the interior. During
siuations like this, most adjusters work from 7am until 7pm, 7 days a week.
I'm guessing that you also probably fell through the cracks though. A call
every couple of weeks would not hurt.

At any rate, here's my question: My home, which is mainly brick with some
vinyl siding and painted wood trim elements, is very dirty from the flying
leaves, dirt, etc. kicked up by the storm. I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home. Does anyone know if something like this
is typically covered by homeowner's insurance for hurricanes?

It's really a case by cases basis. The policy covers sudden and accident
_damage_. While the dirt and debris could be considered "damage" it really
depends on it's extent. I could see it going either way and I could tell you
no better then anyone else without seeing it. In either case, it should not
affect the paint or brick. Have you tried a strong spray from a garden hose?
I'm guessing that you don't want to lessen the impact of how it looks as not
to negate the possibility that they will allow for it to be pressure washed.
In either case, if they consider it, they should base payment on what
someone else would charge to have this done.

I can also tell you that carriers are more interested in getting a claim
done in one visit rather then bickering about every nickel and dime.

Personally, I'd wait 2 weeks and see what happens.

Gordon Burditt

At any rate, here's my question: My home, which is mainly brick with some
vinyl siding and painted wood trim elements, is very dirty from the flying
leaves, dirt, etc. kicked up by the storm. I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home. Does anyone know if something like this
is typically covered by homeowner's insurance for hurricanes?

The policy is worded very vaguely (undoubtedly on purpose) and when I asked
Nationwide they told me that my adjustor would have to answer that. My
concern is that if I don't get some of this mess off the house soon it will
perhaps ruin the paint and perhaps even stain the brick. My problem is that
it will be hard to photograph this to clearly show the dirty areas in a
meaningful way in the photos.

You are expected to take reasonable steps to prevent further damage
and insurance companies are expected to pay for such steps. I think
this covers things like boarding up windows before the hurricane
hits and putting plastic over holes in the roof to prevent further
damage to the contents.

I'm not sure that just dirt stains paint and brick, though.

In any case, take photographs before doing cleanup. They may not
show the damage well, but they should show it.

I don't think the insurance company will spring for BUYING a pressure
washer. They may very well spring for RENTING one, or hiring someone
to do it.

I hope your insurance company doesn't insist on 3 original UPC codes
from under the slab before paying off.

Gordon L. Burditt

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:25:19 -0500, someone wrote:

....I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home.

No way will they pay for a purchase. If its considered covered
damage, they will pay for the work or the rental of the equipment but
not pay for equipment for you to keep. The general opportunities to
take advantage are obvious - so there is a general practice even if
you claim that in some specific case it would be cheaper, etc.

You could probably rent one, but I'd still be concerned with this
being borderline, cleaning vs. clean-up, cleaning of dirt vs. repair
of damage. If its approved by the company as "damage" you could hire
someone to do it - yeah even if that would cost more than buying
yourself a pressure washer.

-v.

Tony

"v" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:25:19 -0500, someone wrote:

....I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home.

No way will they pay for a purchase. If its considered covered
damage, they will pay for the work or the rental of the equipment but
not pay for equipment for you to keep. The general opportunities to
take advantage are obvious - so there is a general practice even if
you claim that in some specific case it would be cheaper, etc.

You could probably rent one, but I'd still be concerned with this
being borderline, cleaning vs. clean-up, cleaning of dirt vs. repair
of damage. If its approved by the company as "damage" you could hire
someone to do it - yeah even if that would cost more than buying
yourself a pressure washer.

It is very odd trying to figure out what insurance will cover. I wish I
knew better, since it would help me get the maximum benefit from my
coverage. I know several people who bought generators to power
refrigerators, etc. after the hurricane. Insurance reimbursed them for
those purchases. I know several people who bought chainsaws to remove trees
from off of items on their property. Those also were reimbursed.

I'm not trying to 'game' the system, but if there's something that insurance
will cover, I'd rather get the equipment and do it now rather than wait who
knows how long until I can see an adjustor. I'd also like to put the storm
behind me, but the more I take care of now before the adjustor comes, the
more I'm likely to be out of pocket for the repairs.

Around here, hiring anyone to do anything cleanup related costs an
incredible sum. I know people who are paying outrageous amount for tree
removal, etc. Unless you have a big job, it's not likely that you even can
find anyone willing to take on the work.

I fully understand that insurance companies will take quite some time to get
around to everyone. I just wish that in the interim there were some way to
get an answer to my questions. At this point I have been given the name of
the adjustor assigned to my case, but the phone call I made to him last week
has gone unreturned so far.

Tony

Todd Copeland

"v" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:25:19 -0500, someone wrote:
....I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home.

No way will they pay for a purchase. If its considered covered
damage, they will pay for the work or the rental of the equipment but
not pay for equipment for you to keep. The general opportunities to
take advantage are obvious - so there is a general practice even if
you claim that in some specific case it would be cheaper, etc.

You could probably rent one, but I'd still be concerned with this
being borderline, cleaning vs. clean-up, cleaning of dirt vs. repair
of damage. If its approved by the company as "damage" you could hire
someone to do it - yeah even if that would cost more than buying
yourself a pressure washer.

For the most part you are incorrect. Insurance companies don't pay based on
the cost insured for work. In this case, they will asses the damage (via
personal inspection or estimate submitted) and pay based on this amount. A
check will be issued and the person can then have the work done however they
want.

If the person wants to take the money paid, buy a pressure washer and do the
work themselves, this is fine. The person would either be saving money by
doing it themselves (thereby paying themselves for there labor = equal deal)
or loose a little money in incurring the expense for a pressure washer (but
obtain a pressure washer in trade).

An insurance company could care less how the money is spent. There
obligation is to issue payment. It's the homeowners responsibility to make
sure those funds are used for repairs and in the OP's case, they would be.

What the carrier _won't_ pay for, and what you may have meant, is
_preventative maintainance_ (such as Gordon mentions... but boarding up your
come is not covered under a standard property policy). The difference in the
OP's situation is that the "damage" has already been done. So it's no longer
preventative.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:00:28 -0500, someone wrote:

It is very odd trying to figure out what insurance will cover....

Amen brother.

.... I know several people who bought generators to power
refrigerators, etc. after the hurricane. Insurance reimbursed them for
those purchases. I know several people who bought chainsaws to remove trees
from off of items on their property. Those also were reimbursed.

Wow, surprised to hear that, maybe insurance recognized the reality
that in those mass disaster situations, there was no rental eq
available. I had the opposite experience, buying electric heaters in
a hurry to prevent further pipe damage in a house where the boiler had
gone down in cold weather.

Afterwards, they paid for all the plumbing repair of pipes that did
burst before I could get the temporary heat in. But I was
specifrically told that I would have been reimbursed for heater rental
but not purchase, since on a purchase I still had them afterwards.
Even when I offered to turn over the units to them - nope they didn't
want them either.

I'm not trying to 'game' the system, but if there's something that insurance
will cover, I'd rather get the equipment and do it now...

Not accusing you. Best bet maybe to make a few more calls and see if
they'll "buy it". (Unintended pun!)

Good luck, glad I'm not in hurricane country.

-v.
JerryL

"v" wrote in message
[...]

FEMA was paying for chainsaws and generators if you purchased them withing
30 days of the emergency declaration and you could prove that you have no
power for several days and had downed trees on your property.

Hal Hanig

v wrote:

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:00:28 -0500, someone wrote:

Good luck, glad I'm not in hurricane country.

Count your blessings unless, of course, you happen to be in tornado country.
(^-^)))

J T

Or, like me, in terrorist country. At least foks in torando country probably
don't have to worry about that too much, though they might also be in
Columbine country.

Guess there's something to worry about everywhere, for which there's no
insurance.