Todd Copeland

"Tony" wrote in message
I realize this newsgroup may not be the best place to get an answer to

this
question, but I thought I'd at least see if anyone else has had experience
with this.

On September16 my home was in Hurricane Ivan. Compared to many homes

around
mine, my home was only minimally damaged. (I know a few people with
catastophic damage.) In light of that, I've been very patient in

waiting
for my insurance company to send an adjustor to assess my damage. Today
marks 3 weeks since the claim, though, and I haven't yet heard anything

from
my adjustor. I'd like to get cleaned up and get on with getting life back
to normal.

Not unusual. Carriers usually handle claims in order of sevaraty. There are
many homes with damaged roofs and water damage to the interior. During
siuations like this, most adjusters work from 7am until 7pm, 7 days a week.
I'm guessing that you also probably fell through the cracks though. A call
every couple of weeks would not hurt.

At any rate, here's my question: My home, which is mainly brick with some
vinyl siding and painted wood trim elements, is very dirty from the flying
leaves, dirt, etc. kicked up by the storm. I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home. Does anyone know if something like this
is typically covered by homeowner's insurance for hurricanes?

It's really a case by cases basis. The policy covers sudden and accident
_damage_. While the dirt and debris could be considered "damage" it really
depends on it's extent. I could see it going either way and I could tell you
no better then anyone else without seeing it. In either case, it should not
affect the paint or brick. Have you tried a strong spray from a garden hose?
I'm guessing that you don't want to lessen the impact of how it looks as not
to negate the possibility that they will allow for it to be pressure washed.
In either case, if they consider it, they should base payment on what
someone else would charge to have this done.

I can also tell you that carriers are more interested in getting a claim
done in one visit rather then bickering about every nickel and dime.

Personally, I'd wait 2 weeks and see what happens.