Gordon Burditt

At any rate, here's my question: My home, which is mainly brick with some
vinyl siding and painted wood trim elements, is very dirty from the flying
leaves, dirt, etc. kicked up by the storm. I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home. Does anyone know if something like this
is typically covered by homeowner's insurance for hurricanes?

The policy is worded very vaguely (undoubtedly on purpose) and when I asked
Nationwide they told me that my adjustor would have to answer that. My
concern is that if I don't get some of this mess off the house soon it will
perhaps ruin the paint and perhaps even stain the brick. My problem is that
it will be hard to photograph this to clearly show the dirty areas in a
meaningful way in the photos.

You are expected to take reasonable steps to prevent further damage
and insurance companies are expected to pay for such steps. I think
this covers things like boarding up windows before the hurricane
hits and putting plastic over holes in the roof to prevent further
damage to the contents.

I'm not sure that just dirt stains paint and brick, though.

In any case, take photographs before doing cleanup. They may not
show the damage well, but they should show it.

I don't think the insurance company will spring for BUYING a pressure
washer. They may very well spring for RENTING one, or hiring someone
to do it.

I hope your insurance company doesn't insist on 3 original UPC codes
from under the slab before paying off.

Gordon L. Burditt