Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tony

Default Question FL Homeowner's insurance

I realize this newsgroup may not be the best place to get an answer to this
question, but I thought I'd at least see if anyone else has had experience
with this.

On September16 my home was in Hurricane Ivan. Compared to many homes around
mine, my home was only minimally damaged. (I know a few people with
catastophic damage.) In light of that, I've been very patient in waiting
for my insurance company to send an adjustor to assess my damage. Today
marks 3 weeks since the claim, though, and I haven't yet heard anything from
my adjustor. I'd like to get cleaned up and get on with getting life back
to normal.

On Monday I got a call from Nationwide asking me about my claim. I told
them I still hadn't seen an adjustor. The lady indicated she was very
surprised by that and would put in for me to see one ASAP. I still haven't
heard from anyone.

At any rate, here's my question: My home, which is mainly brick with some
vinyl siding and painted wood trim elements, is very dirty from the flying
leaves, dirt, etc. kicked up by the storm. I would like to purchase a
pressure washer to clean my home. Does anyone know if something like this
is typically covered by homeowner's insurance for hurricanes?

The policy is worded very vaguely (undoubtedly on purpose) and when I asked
Nationwide they told me that my adjustor would have to answer that. My
concern is that if I don't get some of this mess off the house soon it will
perhaps ruin the paint and perhaps even stain the brick. My problem is that
it will be hard to photograph this to clearly show the dirty areas in a
meaningful way in the photos.

Worst case scenario, I suppose, is that I'd spend a couple hundred dollars
on something not reimbursed, but ideally I'd like to know before I make the
purchase.

Anyone have any advice?

Tony