JerryL

"v" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:00:28 -0500, someone wrote:

It is very odd trying to figure out what insurance will cover....

Amen brother.

.... I know several people who bought generators to power
refrigerators, etc. after the hurricane. Insurance reimbursed them for
those purchases. I know several people who bought chainsaws to remove
trees
from off of items on their property. Those also were reimbursed.

Wow, surprised to hear that, maybe insurance recognized the reality
that in those mass disaster situations, there was no rental eq
available. I had the opposite experience, buying electric heaters in
a hurry to prevent further pipe damage in a house where the boiler had
gone down in cold weather.

Afterwards, they paid for all the plumbing repair of pipes that did
burst before I could get the temporary heat in. But I was
specifrically told that I would have been reimbursed for heater rental
but not purchase, since on a purchase I still had them afterwards.
Even when I offered to turn over the units to them - nope they didn't
want them either.

I'm not trying to 'game' the system, but if there's something that
insurance
will cover, I'd rather get the equipment and do it now...

Not accusing you. Best bet maybe to make a few more calls and see if
they'll "buy it". (Unintended pun!)

Good luck, glad I'm not in hurricane country.

-v.

FEMA was paying for chainsaws and generators if you purchased them withing
30 days of the emergency declaration and you could prove that you have no
power for several days and had downed trees on your property.