Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Homeowner's Insurance Claim -- use it to repair roof?

"ms960" wrote in message
oups.com...
There was a hailstorm that came through our area last year, and I got
around
to filing a claim as I suspected that some damage was sustained to our
roof.
Just about everyone on our street had suffered roof/siding damage as well.

The adjuster came out and found no damage to the roof, but did find damage
to the siding, so they paid a claim to have the siding repaired only.

My siding is fine, the damage is cosmetic. The roof is shot and
desperately
needs replacing. Can I use the claim money paid for the siding to replace
the roof instead? What trouble will I get myself into? My insurance
company is USAA.

Need help/advice as I'm going to have to figure out how to cough up almost
$10k if I have to replace the roof out of pocket.

Thanks!

They won't cover damage to the siding if it occurs in the future unless you
can prove that you replaced it after the last claim. Or in the event of a
total loss they will deduct the previously paid amount from the total loss
value.

If they cut you a check for the damage and you have in your hands you can
spend it any way you like. Getting someone to give you a bill for siding
when they are really doing a roof would be fraud and both of you can get in
a heap of trouble for that.

Colbyt