Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

Default Make insurance claim on roof or pay for myself?

I have a roof which needed replacing before we had a storm. Do I make a
claim since the storm took a shingle or two off? My house is a modest
single family site built and it's paid for. I've owned it for 15 years and
never made a claim. (State Farm insurance).

Also, in general I have a separate but related question about how often to
make claims. Clark Howard seems to think you should max out your deductible
and only make a claim if the house explodes, then pay out of pocket for
non-catastrophes. However, another person who's opinion I respect says to
use it whenever you have a legit claim. This person has been a home owner
for 30 years and owns 17 rental houses.

Clark's comments:

"Unless your mortgage company prohibits it, Clark would like you to boost
your deductible to $2,500. Most people have a $500 deductible, but that is
not a good idea. Why? First of all, you pay a lot more in insurance costs.
Secondly, if you make a claim against your homeowner's insurance for a small
amount of money, the insurer may treat your horribly. Sure, they'll pay the
claim. But they may fire you after. So, you only want to use homeowner's
insurance for catastrophes."

http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shown...04/08/09/8450/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dan" wrote in message

[...]

Catastrophes is probably a bit extreme, but I'd not make a claim for $100 or
so for the reasons Clark outlines. I've not had reason to try out his
theory so I don't know if my insurance company would drop me or not. I've
heard stories of companies dropping long time policy holders even with no
claims as they figure the law of averages is going to catch up to them.

How much are you looking at for cost?

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dan" wrote in message

I have a roof which needed replacing before we had a storm. Do I make a
claim since the storm took a shingle or two off? My house is a modest
single family site built and it's paid for. I've owned it for 15 years
and never made a claim. (State Farm insurance).

I have had two roofs replaced on the same house by insurance. Think I had
the 500 deductiable. Once a hurricane blew off the shingles. I live about
200 miles from the coast but the huricane came way inland. About 15 years
later a hail storm dammaged the shingles. Most of the other 10 houses in
the same development had similar experiances.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"dan" wrote in message

[...]

Based on an online roofing calculator: about $1,700 for 20yr asphalt
shingles but I haven't got an actual estimate yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"dan" wrote in message

I have a roof which needed replacing before we had a storm. Do I make a
claim since the storm took a shingle or two off? My house is a modest
single family site built and it's paid for. I've owned it for 15 years
and never made a claim. (State Farm insurance).

I have had two roofs replaced on the same house by insurance. Think I had
the 500 deductiable. Once a hurricane blew off the shingles. I live about
200 miles from the coast but the huricane came way inland. About 15 years
later a hail storm dammaged the shingles. Most of the other 10 houses in
the same development had similar experiances.

ok, thanks to all for the replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 5:09*am, "dan" wrote:
[...]

It took off a shingle or maybe two and you realy think you are
justified in making a claim on an old roof that is bad anyway, make
your claim as many scumbags do, Then when they drop you, you will know
why you are high risk and now deserve to pay more to a different
company. False claims raise everyones rates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dan" wrote in message

[...]

I'd consider that amount too low to be worth a claim, particularly if it
needed replacing anyway. An insurance appraiser isn't stupid and if the
roof was clearly in need of replacing anyway and the actual storm damage
was minimal, they aren't going to give you a whole new roof for free.

I'd also consider DIY if the roof isn't too complex and you're up to it.
I've done a couple roofs myself and they weren't difficult. They're
still just fine 10+ years later too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 9:44*am, ransley wrote:
On Jun 22, 5:09*am, "dan" wrote:

[...]

company. False claims raise everyones rates.- Hide quoted text -

If all it did was blow off a shingle or two on a roof at the end of
it's life, I doubt the insurance company is going to pay for a whole
new roof. They will also look at whether other houses in the area had
storm damage. If I were the adjuster, I'd give you the cost to repair
the blown off shingles, not the cost of a new roof.

As far as deductibles, I would look at how much the premium goes down
as the deductible goes up. For most people, a deductible of at least
a $1000 makes sense. In essence, you are self insuring small claims
and avoiding putting in small claims that can cause your rates to go
up or for you to be dropped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Based on an online roofing calculator: about $1,700 for 20yr asphalt
shingles but I haven't got an actual estimate yet.

Is that the quote to repair the wind damage or to re-roof the house?

Please remember that the insurnace company may not be obligated to re-roof
the entire house, or even one side, if the damage is minor and can be
repaired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If all it did was blow off a shingle or two on a roof at the end of
it's life, I doubt the insurance company is going to pay for a whole
new roof. They will also look at whether other houses in the area had
storm damage. If I were the adjuster, I'd give you the cost to repair
the blown off shingles, not the cost of a new roof.

As far as deductibles, I would look at how much the premium goes down
as the deductible goes up. For most people, a deductible of at least
a $1000 makes sense. In essence, you are self insuring small claims
and avoiding putting in small claims that can cause your rates to go
up or for you to be dropped.

I am not sure if I read and understood the OP's second question but to me it
almost seemed like he was suggesting that you could "save up" multiple
incidents until you had enough and then treat them as one claim with one
deductible.

That's not the way it works. The deductible applies to each loss
separately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan,

What exactly are you asking? You have a claim for the loss of a few
shingles. That your roof needs replacing does not mean that the insurer will
pay for replacing the roof, he will replace the lost shingles (and probably
pro-rate them)
$1700 to replace a few shingles sounds rather pricey to me but I'm cheap
and would DIY this. But if you have several estimates for $1700 to replace a
few shingles, and a $1000 deductible that would give you $700 towards
replacing the entire roof.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:20:35 -0600, "Doug Brown"
wrote:

Based on an online roofing calculator: about $1,700 for 20yr asphalt
shingles but I haven't got an actual estimate yet.

Is that the quote to repair the wind damage or to re-roof the house?

Please remember that the insurnace company may not be obligated to re-roof
the entire house, or even one side, if the damage is minor and can be
repaired.

I have a $1000 deductable policy. A single claim might raise your
next year premium payment; however it might be worth it if the claim
is substantial. For a $2-4K roof job, I'd probably pay myself and
forget about a claim. Be prepared if additional damage and more work
is discovered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Homeowners Hub site is not a help forum.
It's an *advertising* forum that invades real
forums (like "alt.home.repair", part of
"usenet") parasitically in order to generate
free advertising for itself, which continually
advances its search engine placement, thereby
increasing its own revenue through its click-
through advertising commissions.

So the first thing you should do is write them
an email and tell them to quit spamming.

Then try to find your way here through proper
channels. Please do a google search on "Usenet"
and post the regular way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus