Posted to alt.home.repair
ms960 ms960 is offline

Default Homeowner's Insurance Claim -- use it to repair roof?

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...of-632743-.htm
ms960 wrote:

The roof is shot because it's at the end of it's lifespan. The shingles
are just worn out. None of my neighbors have the same insurance company
that I do, but they all had their roofs replaced due to the hail storm
after filing such a claim. My insurance company is the only one I know of
to deny a claim from the same storm. None of the houses in my
neighborhood are any older than mine, yet mine is the only one to be
denied. Makes me wonder.

I did get some advice elsewhere (not here) that said it is fraud to use
the money for anything other than the intended repairs (siding). Most, if
not all, the replies here have said that I can use it however I want.

My hesitation comes from using the money intended for siding replacement
on the roof, and then later having a siding problem for some reason.

I guess, ultimately, the decision is mine to weigh and figure out how to
proceed. I just don't want to run afoul of the insurance company in any
way.

Thanks.