Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't all extension cords grounded if it's code that your outletbe grounded?

Ever need an extension cord at home and all you can find are the two-
prong type? (My wife seems to buy them in bulk). Why do they even make
a 2-prong type when all outlets are supposed to have a ground anyway?

I've told the wife to never buy a 2-prong extension cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2011 12:55 PM so spake thus:

Ever need an extension cord at home and all you can find are the two-
prong type? (My wife seems to buy them in bulk). Why do they even make
a 2-prong type when all outlets are supposed to have a ground anyway?

Short answer: because there are lots of things you can plug in that have
2-prong plugs. (I ASS-ume you're talking about US/North America?). Most
of them are perfectly safe and don't need a ground (double insulated, etc.)

The code (NEC) doesn't have total control over each and every device
that gets plugged into an outlet. And 2-prong cord sets may still be
UL/CSA approved.

I've told the wife to never buy a 2-prong extension cord.

I wouldn't sweat it, unless you have a lot of stuff with grounded plugs
and have to use lots of 2-to-3-prong adapters (which does get really
annoying).

Grounding is a Good Thing, but its benefits are still often wildly
overstated. I've worked on plenty of houses around here with old wiring
(no separate ground conductor), and for 99% of devices they're perfectly
OK. Even computers and other "delicate electronic equipment".

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I have just blown 2 soundcards, by connecting those two while
on 2-prong outlets.......

I replaced the cards, and about 8 2-prong outlets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2011 1:48 PM Sjouke Burry spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I'm surious: just how did that happen? Did you plug 2 things into two
different outlets? Otherwise, hard to see how you could blow a soundcard
just by plugging a computer into a 2-prong outlet.

And I'm ASS-u-ming that your new outlets are actually grounded? Of
course, installing grounded outlets won't help you in an old house which
has 2-wire circuits.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang
where
here
l8tr
by

- from Usenet (what's *that*?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Both computers were on 2-prong.
In which case (I should have known at the time), there is
about half the net voltage on the case, because of the
netfilters build into the computer.(duuu...)
I connected the line input of one computer to the line out
of the other computer, with a 2-male small connector cord.
Well, the tip of that connector touches ground on the
computerside first, when inserting, inputting ~100 volt into the other
computer, and that was definitely that.
Now why both cards were gone, is harder to explain, unless the
other card had a floating ground, in which case you can kill both
cards.....
But I have no schematics for those two cards, one of which was build
into mother board card.
Luckily the bios allowed to disable the malfunctioning chip.
7 euros for one soundcard and an old soundblaster for for the other
(old)computer, restored things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 3:55*pm, so wrote:
Ever need an extension cord at home and all you can find are the two-
prong type? (My wife seems to buy them in bulk). Why do they even make
a 2-prong type when all outlets are supposed to have a ground anyway?

I've told the wife to never buy a 2-prong extension cord.

Bigger question:

Why does wife keep buying extension cords?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You aren't in the USA? In the US, most appliances now have a
polarized plug. One blade is wider, and such a situation is
far less likely.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

so wrote:
Ever need an extension cord at home and all you can find are the two-
prong type? (My wife seems to buy them in bulk). Why do they even make
a 2-prong type when all outlets are supposed to have a ground anyway?

I've told the wife to never buy a 2-prong extension cord.

Excellent advice.
When you've got a 3-prong appliance and only a 2-prong extension,
you're possibly at some risk. Better to have any one you grab have
the ground IF needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
You aren't in the USA? In the US, most appliances now have a
polarized plug. One blade is wider, and such a situation is
far less likely.

No, Netherlands, 240 Volt mains non-polarized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can imagine that makes it possible to do that. Ah, well.
It's the power available where you live, so you use it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in
message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
You aren't in the USA? In the US, most appliances now have
polarized plug. One blade is wider, and such a situation
is
far less likely.

No, Netherlands, 240 Volt mains non-polarized.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2011 2:55 PM, so wrote:
Ever need an extension cord at home and all you can find are the two-
prong type? (My wife seems to buy them in bulk). Why do they even make
a 2-prong type when all outlets are supposed to have a ground anyway?

I've told the wife to never buy a 2-prong extension cord.

why would you waste a three wire cord on a two wire device? Most
household devices are just two pronged anyway.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I've told the wife to never buy a 2-prong extension cord.

I wouldn't sweat it, unless you have a lot of stuff with grounded
plugs and have to use lots of 2-to-3-prong adapters (which does get
really annoying).

The irritation can be removed by the surgical use of a Dremel equipped with
a cut-off blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A lot of devices, the ground prong is necessary for safety.
(Wet and dry shop vacs for example). I'd really hesitate to
cut off ground prongs.

Years ago, I read on the OSHA web site, it's illegal for
business to use repaired extension cords. I'm guessing cut
off ground prongs are also illegal for business to use.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I wouldn't sweat it, unless you have a lot of stuff with
grounded
plugs and have to use lots of 2-to-3-prong adapters (which
does get
really annoying).

The irritation can be removed by the surgical use of a
Dremel equipped with
a cut-off blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I've told the wife to never buy a 2-prong extension cord.

I wouldn't sweat it, unless you have a lot of stuff with grounded
plugs and have to use lots of 2-to-3-prong adapters (which does get
really annoying).

The irritation can be removed by the surgical use of a Dremel equipped with
a cut-off blade.

Only if you like to do things the hard way. Most of my ground plugs have
been ripped out with a pair of channel lock pliers, neanderthal style.
Takes about 1 second, and leaves no sharp edge to endanger your favorite
critters, the children. By the time you plug in your Dremel and turn on
the switch, I'm already enjoying my electricity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

A lot of devices, the ground prong is necessary for safety.
(Wet and dry shop vacs for example). I'd really hesitate to
cut off ground prongs.

Years ago, I read on the OSHA web site, it's illegal for
business to use repaired extension cords. I'm guessing cut
off ground prongs are also illegal for business to use.

Shop Vacs are plastic, so not much danger there to be sure. But as far
as danger goes, I'm guessing you've never soldered live equipment. The
danger there often lies in *not* ripping out the ground plug of the
soldering iron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I've told the wife to never buy a 2-prong extension cord.

I wouldn't sweat it, unless you have a lot of stuff with grounded
plugs and have to use lots of 2-to-3-prong adapters (which does get
really annoying).

The irritation can be removed by the surgical use of a Dremel
equipped with a cut-off blade.

Only if you like to do things the hard way. Most of my ground plugs
have been ripped out with a pair of channel lock pliers, neanderthal
style. Takes about 1 second, and leaves no sharp edge to endanger
your favorite critters, the children. By the time you plug in your
Dremel and turn on the switch, I'm already enjoying my electricity.

Ah! Good idea!

I've been perplexed on how to saw off the ground plug on the Dremel itself !

It takes too long to get the machine up to speed and rapidly yank the plug
to feed it to the cut-off wheel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only if you like to do things the hard way. Most of my ground plugs have
been ripped out with a pair of channel lock pliers, neanderthal style.
Takes about 1 second, and leaves no sharp edge to endanger your favorite
critters, the children. By the time you plug in your Dremel and turn on
the switch, I'm already enjoying my electricity.

Natural selection will end your genetic code on earth.

If the device you plug in that extension cord has a hot to chassis
accidental connection you can get a lethal shock.

gronds are really key to safe operations

Grounded speaker N_Cook Electronics Repair 1 August 15th 10 04:21 PM
3-way grounded neutral? Doug[_6_] Home Repair 21 February 12th 08 11:53 PM
Should My Washer Be Grounded? John Ross Home Repair 13 May 28th 07 12:37 AM
Grounded outlet m Ransley Home Repair 23 November 11th 06 05:14 PM
Grounded switch tap Den Murray Home Repair 9 October 18th 06 05:52 AM