Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grounded switch tap

Hi

I'm trying to locate (in the US) a *grounded* (i.e.3-prong) plug in switch
tap.

I've got a standard 15amp outlet that I have an appliance that I need to be
switch on-and-off-able (is that a word) at the outlet.

Leviton make a non-grounded version (2-prong in, and 2-prong out), but I
need it to be grounded.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Den

Posted to alt.home.repair

This what you mean?

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...B5 8&pid=1208

I beleive It is against the NEC to have the grounded and grounding
conductors switched.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:16:57 GMT, "Den Murray" wrote:

Hi

I'm trying to locate (in the US) a *grounded* (i.e.3-prong) plug in switch
tap.

I've got a standard 15amp outlet that I have an appliance that I need to be
switch on-and-off-able (is that a word) at the outlet.

Leviton make a non-grounded version (2-prong in, and 2-prong out), but I
need it to be grounded.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Den

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you've got the space, how about a power strip like the 2nd picture
on this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_strip

Den Murray wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to locate (in the US) a *grounded* (i.e.3-prong) plug in switch
tap.

I've got a standard 15amp outlet that I have an appliance that I need to be
switch on-and-off-able (is that a word) at the outlet.

Leviton make a non-grounded version (2-prong in, and 2-prong out), but I
need it to be grounded.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Den

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tazz spake thus:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:16:57 GMT, "Den Murray" wrote:

I'm trying to locate (in the US) a *grounded* (i.e.3-prong) plug in switch
tap.

I've got a standard 15amp outlet that I have an appliance that I need to be
switch on-and-off-able (is that a word) at the outlet.

Leviton make a non-grounded version (2-prong in, and 2-prong out), but I
need it to be grounded.

Any ideas?

This what you mean?

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...B5 8&pid=1208

I beleive It is against the NEC to have the grounded and grounding
conductors switched.

I think the OP is asking about an *inline* switch in a cordset (plug &
outlet), so they can put it between the outlet and appliance to switch
it on & off.

But while what you suggested isn't what they asked for, it should work,
so long as they only need one outlet in the box (or on that side of a
double box).

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Den Murray" wrote in message
Hi

I'm trying to locate (in the US) a *grounded* (i.e.3-prong) plug in switch
tap.

I've got a standard 15amp outlet that I have an appliance that I need to
be switch on-and-off-able (is that a word) at the outlet.

Leviton make a non-grounded version (2-prong in, and 2-prong out), but I
need it to be grounded.

Easy enough to make one; though it will be very expensive extension cord. I
think you are looking for an extension cord, aren't you. "Plug in switch
tap"???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Den Murray spake thus:

No ... what I want plugs into a standard 15amp outlet and has a switch and
an outlet on it.

You could make one yourself, with a "handy box", that switch/outlet
combo someone else posted a link to, a short piece of 3-wire cord and a
plug. Wouldn't be all ivory-plastic-encapsulated pretty, but would work
and be safe.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority."
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Tazz spake thus:

[...]

My guess is the OP wants a plug-in cube kinda like a grounding adapter
that has a switch built into it. (Haven't seen one.)

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Den Murray :

I'm trying to locate (in the US) a *grounded* (i.e.3-prong) plug in switch
tap.

I've got a standard 15amp outlet that I have an appliance that I need to be
switch on-and-off-able (is that a word) at the outlet.

Leviton make a non-grounded version (2-prong in, and 2-prong out), but I
need it to be grounded.

Any ideas?

A cheap power bar with switch.

Yes, you can build something a bit more specific to your purposes,
but probably not for less than the $5 or so you can get a power bar,
nor quite as pretty ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:12:24 -0500, Bud--
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Tazz spake thus:

[...]

I've seen them for two prongs but not for three. I use a couple,
including to turn the power off to my scanner, which I almost never
use.

bud--