Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cat Doors

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube. Slope
it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind blocking.

Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get a
lot of use.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part of
the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube. Slope
it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind blocking.

Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get a
lot of use.

Jeff

I might be tempted to put in something resembling a train caboose.
Just as well give the neighbors something to talk about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube. Slope
it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind blocking.

Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get a
lot of use.

Jeff

Hmmm... or maybe make it a bit longer than necessary, and have 2 doors
to form a little 'airlock'? The upsloping 'tunnel' part could even run
parallel to the outside wall face... cats are nimble enough to make a 90
degree turn.

Just thinking out loud... I've never done or been involved in such a
project.

Good Luck!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2010 3:53 PM, Erik wrote:
In ,
Jeff wrote:

[...]

That sounds like a very good idea because small kids have been sent
through pet doors by burglars to unlock the door and there are some
small adult burglars who can get through pet doors too. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube.
Slope it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind
blocking.
Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they
get a lot of use.

I built mine in a 10" wide board that fits under the partially-closed
window. If the cat door ever needs to go away, I'll just raise the window,
remove the board containing the cat-flap, then close the window.

Oh, there's a screw in the window frame to prevent the goblins, squints,
mopes, do-bads, stink-eyes, etc., from using the cat door contraption as an
entryway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2010 7:00 PM, Earl wrote:
The Daring wrote in
:

Jeff wrote:

[...]

My ganny's house had a big delivery box built into the side. Us kids used
to hide in there. Except everyone knew we'd hide there. LOL. Back in the
day, I don't think anyone would ever imagine it was a burglar's entry
point. o, the box was for delivery of ice before electric refrigerators.

For the pet door, isn't there some sort of locking meachanism and the pet
is supposed to wear the "key" on it's collar?

Yea, the little radio collar or I think there is one that uses the same
technology as the retail anti theft tags found on merchandise. The door
locks to keep critters like raccoons or unauthorized kitties from
entering the home. I like the tunnel idea because I think it might deter
human trespassers. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube. Slope
it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind blocking.

Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get a
lot of use.

Jeff

Hmmm... or maybe make it a bit longer than necessary, and have 2 doors
to form a little 'airlock'? The upsloping 'tunnel' part could even run
parallel to the outside wall face... cats are nimble enough to make a 90
degree turn.

I was thinking of something like that. Getting the two doors offset
would keep a breeze blowing directly in. I had thought about in the
wall, but not enough room. I'll have some Hardy Plank left over that I
can make something out of. If I put the "air lock" inside, I can use
anything.

Just thinking out loud... I've never done or been involved in such a
project.

Good Luck!

Erik

That sounds like a very good idea because small kids have been sent
through pet doors by burglars to unlock the door and there are some
small adult burglars who can get through pet doors too. :-)

We are talking cats here.

I'd like to make it small enough to keep the possums and raccoons
out. Not that I know how small that is, they can squeeze in some tight
places.

Thanks,
Jeff

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:

[...]

I haven't seen any RFID pet doors yet, the ones that have a pet only
lock usually just have a magnet for the pets collar to activate the
lock. Most raccoons and other wild animals don't have magnetic collars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Yea but, what if an anvil gets stuck to te magnet around Fluffy's neck,
how in the heck is she going to drag that thing through the door?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote in
:

We are talking cats here.

I'd like to make it small enough to keep the possums and raccoons
out. Not that I know how small that is, they can squeeze in some tight
places.

Thanks,
Jeff

TDD

Ours is mounted in a walkout basement casement window, with a cat ledge
they must jump to to access the offset swinging doors. Cats travel from
ledge thru 1 door, turn pass between panel where a storm window would be
mounted and where the main sash (raised)would be, turn again thru the
basement access swinger.
2 door 'airlock' (kinda)
keeps wild critters out
cats only need to be 'stuffed' into hole once or twice before they figure
it out.

YMMV
Steve
southiowa
--
There is no such thing as a silly question;
just silly people asking questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part of
the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube. Slope
it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind blocking.

Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get a
lot of use.

Jeff

Good for the neighborhood. Lets the cats out so they can kill birds,
chipmonks, etc. Also so they can wail at night.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Cat Doors - wisdom?

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Also other cats, small dogs, squirrels, rodents, raccoons and other
non-desirable animals can enter through a cat door. Indoor cats that go out
can get into cat fights, get injured, become road kill and/or bring home
fleas, bed bugs, worms and diseases. Indoor cats should stay indoors and
outdoor cats should stay outdoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

[...]
* *I'd like to make it small enough to keep the possums and raccoons
out. Not that I know how small that is, they can squeeze in some tight
places.

Tell me about it!!! We went through a siege in which every morning
I'd see the cat's dish overturned , chow spilled out of the jar, his
water befouled. Friend told me that raccoons have no salivary glands,
so they have to wash their food (?). It was awful! I even hung
mothballs over the cat door, but that didn't help. Finally realized I
have to slide the door closer into place every night. Nuisance to
crouch down and turn those tight little screws that hold it in place.
Have to place duct tape across, so raccoon doesn't push door open.
THEN have to call the cat in. Can't leave him out at night; he's
black and already had a $4000 car accident. People have suggested
those electronic doors, but my cat specializes in losing collars...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't put it beyond a raccoon to get a magnet (or a cat to lose
one). They are a lot smarter than cats and can manipulate all kinds of
latches. At least that has been my unfortunate experience.

I have enough trouble with the commercial cat doors to start adding
technology to one. And there is enough food outside to satisfy the possums.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2010 5:44 AM, Steve.IA wrote:
Jeff wrote in
:

We are talking cats here.

I'd like to make it small enough to keep the possums and raccoons
out. Not that I know how small that is, they can squeeze in some tight
places.

Thanks,
Jeff

TDD

Ours is mounted in a walkout basement casement window, with a cat ledge
they must jump to to access the offset swinging doors.

I like that. How did you do the swinging doors?

Cats travel from
ledge thru 1 door, turn pass between panel where a storm window would be
mounted and where the main sash (raised)would be, turn again thru the
basement access swinger.
2 door 'airlock' (kinda)
keeps wild critters out
cats only need to be 'stuffed' into hole once or twice before they figure
it out.

I love it, of course I can't duplicate it exactly! I think the jumping
part is what thins out the non cats. Very clever.

Jeff

YMMV
Steve
southiowa

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2010 9:37 AM, LouB wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part of
the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube.
Slope it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind
blocking.

Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get
a lot of use.

Jeff

Good for the neighborhood. Lets the cats out so they can kill birds,
chipmonks, etc. Also so they can wail at night.

They are good cats, and they do kill a lot of rodents. There are a
couple of vacant lots nearby so it is happy hunting grounds for them and
the hawks and owls. Not all cats are good hunters though. And neutered
cats don't have much reason to wail.

I happen to like chipmunks, it is there unfortunate lot in life to be
both tasty and entertaining.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

[...]
I'd like to make it small enough to keep the possums and raccoons
out. Not that I know how small that is, they can squeeze in some tight
places.

Tell me about it!!! We went through a siege in which every morning
I'd see the cat's dish overturned , chow spilled out of the jar, his
water befouled. Friend told me that raccoons have no salivary glands,
so they have to wash their food (?).

Interesting.

It was awful! I even hung
mothballs over the cat door, but that didn't help. Finally realized I
have to slide the door closer into place every night. Nuisance to
crouch down and turn those tight little screws that hold it in place.
Have to place duct tape across, so raccoon doesn't push door open.
THEN have to call the cat in. Can't leave him out at night; he's
black and already had a $4000 car accident.

Ouch. Might be cheaper to fence in the yard!

People have suggested
those electronic doors, but my cat specializes in losing collars...

I can dig it! I like LouB's idea of a cat door they have to jump to.
Never seen a raccoon jump, nor a possum.

Got more cats than I ever thought I'd have. Started with none and
adopted a stray and put in a cat door and then... Well the neutering
program finally caught up. Two things I should have realized, Cats
reproduce very fast and kittens are not easy to give away.

When I wake up now, I see an assortment of cats just watching me
waiting for me to say "Breakfast"! Then I don't see most of them again
until the next morning! I've sort of taken up the study and photography
of cats. Like they say when you have lemons, you make lemonade.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

anews.com...

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Or, ideally:
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/catrun.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote in
:

Ours is mounted in a walkout basement casement window, with a cat
ledge they must jump to to access the offset swinging doors.

I like that. How did you do the swinging doors?

Masonite panel cut to fit the window opening. Skil saw a hanging door and
attach with small hinges at the top to swing to/fro.
I even sided the outside panel with leftover scraps from the residing job
so it matches the house.

Steve
--
There is no such thing as a silly question;
just silly people asking questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

* Jeff *wrote:

[...]

outdoor cats should stay outdoors.- Hide quoted text -

Indoor-only cats aren't cats any more- they are self-propelled plush
toys. Sure, they live longer- keep you locked up and you probably
would, too.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring wrote in ...

Jeff wrote:

[...]

No truer words could be said. In fact indoor cats have to be special
low cal diets. Indoor cats are a study in inactivity.

My indoor/outdoor cats lead cat lives, are often on the go, and are
much better behaved than the indoor only cats I've had in the past. I
mean they have real cat things to do, not just play with the furniture
and get fixated on having some treat or such.

They look happy to me, and they all have such different approaches to
being a cat.

Jeff

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote in
:

On 12/25/2010 9:37 AM, LouB wrote:

Good for the neighborhood. Lets the cats out so they can kill birds,
chipmonks, etc. Also so they can wail at night.

They are good cats, and they do kill a lot of rodents.

Have they brought you any?
I had a cat once that brought me dead mice,and a live bird which it
released indoors,that was hilarious;my mom a bird-lover trying to get the
bird out of the house while the cat was leaping all over the place trying
to recapture it. 8-)

There are a
couple of vacant lots nearby so it is happy hunting grounds for them and
the hawks and owls. Not all cats are good hunters though. And neutered
cats don't have much reason to wail.

I happen to like chipmunks, it is there unfortunate lot in life to be
both tasty and entertaining.

Jeff

it's not easy for a cat to catch a healthy chipmunk,squirrel,or bird.
there's no shortage of them,either.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:43:36 -0800 (PST), aemeijers
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

* Jeff *wrote:

[...]

Ok, he have a couple of self-propelled plush toys that just think they're
cats. ;-) We had one to the ripe old age of 22, though for about half her
life she did go outside. Our last four or five never have been outside alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 8:11*pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:43:36 -0800 (PST), aemeijers
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

Jeff wrote:

[...]

life she did go outside. *Our last four or five never have been outside alone.- Hide quoted text -

At least they get some time out in the exercise yard. Sunlight, fresh
air, and sensory input- what a combination. Considering what a cat's
senses and athletic skills are compared to a human, a suburban house
must be like a sensory deprivation tank for them. No wonder so many go
wacko, or get stuck at the adolescent stage, socially.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2010 7:10 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
Jeff wrote in
:

On 12/25/2010 9:37 AM, LouB wrote:

Good for the neighborhood. Lets the cats out so they can kill birds,
chipmonks, etc. Also so they can wail at night.

They are good cats, and they do kill a lot of rodents.

Have they brought you any?

Quite a few, although not so many lately. I've got pics!

The Chipmunks usually show up live, the mice never.

I had a cat once that brought me dead mice,and a live bird which it
released indoors,that was hilarious;my mom a bird-lover trying to get the
bird out of the house while the cat was leaping all over the place trying
to recapture it. 8-)

Oh, I can imagine!

There are a
couple of vacant lots nearby so it is happy hunting grounds for them and
the hawks and owls. Not all cats are good hunters though. And neutered
cats don't have much reason to wail.

I happen to like chipmunks, it is there unfortunate lot in life to be
both tasty and entertaining.

Jeff

it's not easy for a cat to catch a healthy chipmunk,squirrel,or bird.

I believe that. It's a skill, I've seen the kittens going off with Mom
to learn. Some cats are excellent hunters, some are failures. All are
intensely interested. It's instinctive.

there's no shortage of them,either.

Not here, any ways.

I understand that down under, feral cats are a real threat to some
birds. I rarely see them take a bird though.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 19:46:22 -0800 (PST), aemeijers
wrote:

On Dec 25, 8:11*pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:43:36 -0800 (PST), aemeijers
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

Jeff wrote:

[...]

That's never happened with our cats. They've all been quite normal,
cats. Both are sleeping on my wife now (one is normally on me, but
I've been moving around too much).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

My hunter friends usually shoot feral cats out in the woods.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 8:29*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

* *I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. *So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube. Slope
it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind blocking.

* *Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get a
lot of use.

* *Jeff

You can get cat door that only open for your cat(s). The cat has to
wear a collar though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

* * Jeff * *wrote:

[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't have a cat in the house. Filthy creatures. They climb
everywhere, including on the kitchen units and park their filthy arses
on them. If you have a cat in the house, you are eating cat ****.
At least dogs stay on the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:

My hunter friends usually shoot feral cats out in the woods.

A few years ago the NRA held its annual convention and trade show in my
town. At the Glock booth, R. Lee Ermey (Full Metal Jacket, Mail Call, etc.)
was autographing photos of himself with various Glock handguns.

I stepped behind him and said:

"Lee, as you may know, a Minnesota legislator has introduced a bill to
provide an open hunting season for feral felines! I'm planning on putting
together a tape of 'Celebrity Cat Calls' for these new hunters.

"Would you be willing to say 'Here kitty, kitty...' for the project?"

He stopped autographing.

He put down his pen.

He turned to face me.

"That is the most ****ED UP idea I have EVER heard!"

Oh well... It's good I had a day job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 1:07*pm, Marina wrote:
LouB wrote :

Jeff Thies wrote:

* I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
* of
the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

* I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls.
* So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube.
Slope it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind
blocking.

* Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they
get a lot of use.

* Jeff

Good for the neighborhood. Lets the cats out so they can kill birds,
chipmonks, etc. *Also so they can wail at night.

There was a cat that always was under my BR window at 4.00am. It had a bell
on it's collar making noise. *My dog could hear it and always barked like
crazy. *Of course that woke me up each night. One day I talking to a
neighbor and happened to mention what was happening. *I think I said
something like "who the heck puts on a bell and lets a cat out at night".
Lo and behold, the bell jingling stopped. *I didn't know it, but she must
have owned the cat.

Cats cannot detect or respect property boundaries.

The cats you let roam loose do damage in my yard, kill small critters
and songbirds that live over here, claw my screens, spray their waste
in my yard, and torment my dog (who is NOT allowed to go into your
yard to do his business or his digging).

How about showing some responsibility for what you own?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 2:54*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 12/25/2010 4:43 PM, aemeijers wrote:

"The Daring *wrote in ...

* *Jeff * *wrote:

[...]

I would never keep a domestic animal indoors all its life. Doing that says it exists for your gratification. Sure, we do keep pets for our "gratification", but that doesn't mean making them live an unnatural life. Even keeping birds in a case seems cruel.

After my terrible, expensive experience with cat accident, vet urged
me to keep him indoors. They always do that, no doubt out of sincere
concern for the animal. But I just don't think that's right, even in
an urban environment. So "we" (cat and I) compromise by letting him
go in and out during the day and keeping him in at night. No doubt
this is the reverse of the animal's usual hunting behaviour, but it's
the best "we" can do rather than make him a "plush toy" as one poster
cogently expressed.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

* * Jeff * *wrote:

[...]

Harry, your world view is nothing if not consistent!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 8:55*am, TimR wrote:
On Dec 25, 1:07*pm, Marina wrote:

LouB wrote :

Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

Of course not. They're CATS, not people (many of who also do not
"respect property boundaries"!

The cats you let roam loose do damage in my yard,

Spray them with water from the hose a few times and they will get the
message.
Also put mothballs in the flower/veg beds where the dig and they will
get the message.

kill small critters - Nature, red in tooth and claw...

and songbirds that live over here,

May sound harsh, but if they don't learn to get out of the way, TS. I
have seen mocking birds in my back yard who TEASE the cat. Bad move!

claw my screens,

Hang mesh bag of mothballs over that part of the screen and they will
get the message.
Also ask owners (if known) to trim their nails. If they won't, you do
it. NEVER, NEVER DE-CLAW!!!

spray their waste in my yard,

Are these unfixed Tomcats? They're usually the only ones who "spray".
Contact your local animal shelter and turn in the cat(s) to be
fixed..

and torment my dog (who is NOT allowed to go into your yard to do his
business or his digging).
If you can catch them in the act, again, a good sharp blast from a
water hose repeated a few visits in succession will convey the
message.

How about showing some responsibility for what you own?

Sounds like you might have irresponsible neighbors. Possible to
negotiate with them? You do spray and mothballs and they get claws
clipped and unfixed males fixed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 8:54 AM, harry wrote:

Jeff wrote:

[...]

I have a lady friend who's a raving Liberal Democrat and she owns a
Toyota Prius with an Obama bumper sticker. She also owns several dogs
and cats. One day during a conversation about the critters, I started
explaining the finer points of cat juggling. The look on her face was
priceless and I had to explain that I was being fecesious[sic]. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

* * Jeff * *wrote:

[...]

Harry, your world view is nothing if not consistent!- Hide quoted text -

Consisent and correct. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 5:58*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 26, 8:55*am, TimR wrote:

On Dec 25, 1:07*pm, Marina wrote:

LouB wrote :

Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

clipped and unfixed males fixed.- Hide quoted text -

Mouse traps fix cats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

* * *Jeff * * *wrote:

[...]

I didn't know you had Liberal Democrats in America. However.........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Democrats
I feel sure you would consider them to be commies. I certainly do.

As for Priuses (Prii?), complete waste of time. They only deliver
reduced petrol economy about town, on the motorway they are worse.
More wieght to heft around.
A good diesel will beat them hands down.
Handy for sneaking up on pedestrians.