Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Cat Doors

On 12/25/2010 11:56 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 24, 7:06 pm, Jeff wrote:

On 12/24/2010 3:53 PM, Erik wrote:
In ,
Jeff wrote:

I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

[...]
I'd like to make it small enough to keep the possums and raccoons
out. Not that I know how small that is, they can squeeze in some tight
places.

Tell me about it!!! We went through a siege in which every morning
I'd see the cat's dish overturned , chow spilled out of the jar, his
water befouled. Friend told me that raccoons have no salivary glands,
so they have to wash their food (?).

Interesting.

It was awful! I even hung
mothballs over the cat door, but that didn't help. Finally realized I
have to slide the door closer into place every night. Nuisance to
crouch down and turn those tight little screws that hold it in place.
Have to place duct tape across, so raccoon doesn't push door open.
THEN have to call the cat in. Can't leave him out at night; he's
black and already had a $4000 car accident.

Ouch. Might be cheaper to fence in the yard!

People have suggested
those electronic doors, but my cat specializes in losing collars...

I can dig it! I like LouB's idea of a cat door they have to jump to.
Never seen a raccoon jump, nor a possum.

Got more cats than I ever thought I'd have. Started with none and
adopted a stray and put in a cat door and then... Well the neutering
program finally caught up. Two things I should have realized, Cats
reproduce very fast and kittens are not easy to give away.

When I wake up now, I see an assortment of cats just watching me
waiting for me to say "Breakfast"! Then I don't see most of them again
until the next morning! I've sort of taken up the study and photography
of cats. Like they say when you have lemons, you make lemonade.

Jeff