Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cat Doors

On Dec 30, 10:15*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 12/30/2010 3:07 AM, harry wrote:

On Dec 29, 5:38 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 12/29/2010 11:02 AM, harry wrote:

On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, * *wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

Sure there are. Visit any farm or temperate-climate area with
sufficent game to support a reproducing population. Where do you think
the Egyptions or whoever got theirs? *Just like dogs and humans bonded
for hunting purposes, cats and humans bonded for rodent control
purposes. The 4-legged ones that hung around with humans ate better,
and were more successful at passing their genes on. Some animal
shrinks claim that domesticated dogs and cats suffer from arrested
adolesence, since humans dote on them, and the ones that act like wild
animals get expelled or killed. And yes, their life in the wild is
shorter and nastier. If humans hadn't mostly eliminated wolves and
other predators, there would be no feral cat/dog problem.

You recall the Bible story of Joseph who predicted seven bountiful years
followed by seven lean years thereby encouraging Pharaoh to store up grain?

The Egyptians were the first to practice large-scale agriculture and, to
store up the harvest, they had to have granaries. The goddamn (Ra-damned?)
mice began eating the grain as fast as the Egyptians could store it!

Then some enterprising soul brought to Egypt a critter known as an "African
Tree Cat," which promptly set about catching mice. The African Tree Cats
caught a LOT of mice. So much so the Egyptians deified the cat, calling the
new god "Bastet."

Mummified cats are quite commonly found in Egyptian tombs.
Together with just about every other animal they could lay hands on.

Agriculture started in Iraq. *Saddams ancestors had civilisation long
before the rest of us.

But what happened to them that caused them to revert to savagery. It's
like Egypt, once the center of civilization and now the people have
devolved into Proto-Mesopotamians.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

There were constant wars between neighbouring powers. What finished
them off was the invasion of the mongols who destroyed ancient
Baghdad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad...ids_in_Baghdad
The Ottoman Turks and WW1 didn't help either.

It's amazing at what happens to advanced civilizations at their peak. I
wonder, could it be because the people become too comfortable and maybe
too complacent? Imagine what would have happened if the Roman Empire had
endured for another 500 years. What's your opinion?

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Empires rise and they fall. External forces take them over when the
inhabitants become indolent and their governments corrupt. By corrupt
I mean self serving rather then serving the community. They develope a
sense of entitlement.
Exactly what's happening to both our countries. We need new
revolutions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 10:17*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 12/30/2010 3:13 AM, harry wrote:

On Dec 29, 9:47 pm, *wrote:
harry wrote:

There are no wild cats of the domestic sort in the wild. *The nearest
is possibly a wild cat there is in Scotland and possibly elsewhere but
they are quite different in temperament to a domestic cat.

It's a mistake to ascribe human emotions/behaviour to animals. *They
are not children either though some people regard them as "surrogate
children". There is a reason for their behavour but not the same
reason as humans.

1. "Wild" and "domestic" are not exclusive. "Wild" and "domesticated" might
be. Just as domesticated cats can go feral (or start out that way), wild
cats can, and were, domesticated.

All of the cats we have today in the West originated with the Egyptians
domesticating an African wild cat (Felis silvestris lybica). Domestic cats
in other parts of the world had a slightly different ancestor.

II. Animals DO exhibit some of the same emotions as do two-leggers. The same
parts of their brains are excited with the same stimuli that causes emotions
in humans. The more primitive emotions lie in the Lymbic System, whose basic
functions can be remembered by the four Fs: Flight, Feeding, Fighting, and
Reproduction.

Those are not emotions. They are responses and survival instincts.
That is as far as most animals get except possibly chimpanzees who
have (so I'm told) 98.5% the same DNA as us. *There are people here
who might hit 99% I believe.

I've often been told that I have the characteristics of a great ape,
usually by some woman who has just slapped me. :-)

TDD- Hide quoted text -

So. Exactly what were you up to to get slapped? Bit of groping eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2010 7:18 AM, harry wrote:

On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

The old "Give them bread and circuses" bit, eh? I see it now with a
great majority of people watching "Dancing Wit The Stars" instead of
something interesting like "The History Channel". Will it be up to
those who prefer pursuing what's interesting to save The World or will
they be overwhelmed by the superior number of dolts? I need to win the
lottery and move to Belize. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

It's amazing at what happens to advanced civilizations at their peak.
I wonder, could it be because the people become too comfortable and
maybe too complacent? Imagine what would have happened if the Roman
Empire had endured for another 500 years. What's your opinion?

Hindsight is often compressed.

It took Rome longer to FALL than the U.S. has been in existence!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2010 7:19 AM, harry wrote:

On Dec 29, 9:47 pm, wrote:
harry wrote:

[...]

Human females are a mystery to me, quite often they claim I've offended
them some how and I'm often baffled as to the reason. I thought it might
be the drooling and crazy eyes but I discovered another reason quite by
accident. Half my relatives are Southern Baptists and I live
here in the middle of the Bible belt so the area is overrun with them.
I can offend a Southern Baptist woman by simply saying "Hello". They're
offended because "Hell" is a swear word and "O" is a sexual reference.
I can't win with them. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:36:21 -0700, "chaniarts"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
I've thought about a cat door (we have the backyard fenced so that
they can't get out) but we do have racoons and possums back there
(here in the middle of New York City) so I'd rather know when they're
back there.

what kind of fence to you have to contain your cat? one of mine, which was
declawed when i got him, could scale an 8' block fence without problems. he
used to sit on top of the fence and drive the lab next door crazy.

Standard four foot chain link fence and I've added another four feet
or so of Home Despot green chicken wire of some sort. The secret is
that the top foot or so is bent in at a 45° angle. They can climb up
but climbing around that infacing tilt isn't so easy. Folks sell
fences for this purpose (http://www.catfencein.com) but I saw what
they did and did the same thing for a lot less money. Their's is nicer
though.

I didn't go the razor-wire route; we don't want the neighbors thinking
that we're running some sort of penal colony.

I have one part of the fence hinged so the enemy cats that get in can
get out before I let mine out. That's another reason I don't put in
the cat door - I'd have to leave the escape route closed and
confrontations would result. My alpha goes after any other cat that
comes near the yard. Very territorial that one.

Oh, it isn't impossible for cats to get out even if the opening is
closed. There are four evergreens that have grown over the top of the
fence, and I've seen other cats shoot up the trees and right over the
fence when I enter the yard. Two of my cats have even gotten on top of
the fence that way but they never did it again - I guess they forgot
or just don't want to leave that badly.

I also have collars on the cats with a tracking device
(www.loc8tor.com) which comes in handy when I need to find them - more
often inside the house or yard than outside. I do have one recent
addition that I pulled off the street named Scooter who still has OUT
priviliges. He'll sometimes go out the front door in the morning when
I feed the strays (they're his buddies) and decide not to come back in
when I leave for work. I've used the loc8tor to track him down a few
times.

That's actually why I took in Scooter. He kept trying to come into the
yard when my cats were back there and did it a few times. He is
incredibly friendly and must have been inside at one time and saw an
opening. I finally decided that I'd better have them become housemates
rather than enemies. It hasn't really worked out quite that well, he's
still the odd-cat-out most of the time but they usually don't hiss at
each other anymore.

You can't really count on the loc8tor too much though since the
collars are the break-away type; anything else is too dangerous for a
cat. There have been at least three occasions where he's come back
without the collar and I've always tracked it down later. Cool toy.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:49:11 -0600, "
wrote:

On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Mohammed.

It's like Egypt, once the center of civilization and now the people have
devolved into Proto-Mesopotamians.

See any pattern yet?

Sort of like Christianity set back western civilization for a few
hundred years, nothing like a few dark ages. Religion does that. But
of course, what really caused most of the problems were (sorry Harry)
the British. After all, it was the British (and US of course) that put
in Saddam, and the Shah in Iran. What we get now is referred to as
"blow back".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2010 7:50 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

It's amazing at what happens to advanced civilizations at their peak.
I wonder, could it be because the people become too comfortable and
maybe too complacent? Imagine what would have happened if the Roman
Empire had endured for another 500 years. What's your opinion?

Hindsight is often compressed.

It took Rome longer to FALL than the U.S. has been in existence!

Well, we're not eating and drinking lead but there are plenty of
other things destroying the minds and bodies of the citizenry.
Some of the TV shows are targeted attacks at certain parts of the
human brain. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

I watched a documentary that had some information about Brazil and it
described Brazilian natives being so impressed with the early Christian
missionaries that they wanted their power so they ate them. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 01:09:11 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, *wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

See any pattern yet?- Hide quoted text -

A bit like America's path today?

No, harry, quite like Europe today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 9:47 pm, * *wrote:
harry wrote:

[...]

Not much difference between crazy muslims and crazy christians.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, * wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

I spent a few weeks in Brasil on holiday. It was all disappointingly
civilised.
They have cowboys there and indians too. I spent a few days on ranches
too.
The industrialisation on the Atlantic coast cities is amazing. I saw a
twentyfour lane highway near Sao Paulo. I can tell you their buses
are ten times better than the ones in America. I never set foot in an
aeroplane in S. America.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

No, harry, quite like Europe today.- Hide quoted text -

Ah, you been here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2010 1:12 AM, harry wrote:

On Dec 29, 9:47 pm, wrote:
harry wrote:

[...]

Na, they'll both kill you over trivialities of culture. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:26:00 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

On Dec 29, 12:57 pm, wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Come on harry, it's all over Hollywood. You should have seen it by now.