Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Cat Doors

On Dec 26, 5:58*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 26, 8:55*am, TimR wrote:

On Dec 25, 1:07*pm, Marina wrote:

LouB wrote :

Jeff Thies wrote:

* I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
* of
the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

* I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls.
* So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube.
Slope it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind
blocking.

* Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they
get a lot of use.

* Jeff

Good for the neighborhood. Lets the cats out so they can kill birds,
chipmonks, etc. *Also so they can wail at night.

There was a cat that always was under my BR window at 4.00am. It had a bell
on it's collar making noise. *My dog could hear it and always barked like
crazy. *Of course that woke me up each night. One day I talking to a
neighbor and happened to mention what was happening. *I think I said
something like "who the heck puts on a bell and lets a cat out at night".
Lo and behold, the bell jingling stopped. *I didn't know it, but she must
have owned the cat.

Cats cannot detect or respect property boundaries.

Of course not. *They're CATS, not people (many of who also do not
"respect property boundaries"!

The cats you let roam loose do damage in my yard,

Spray them with water from the hose a few times and they will get the
message.
Also put mothballs in the flower/veg beds where the dig and they will
get the message.

*kill small critters - Nature, red in tooth and claw...

and songbirds that live over here,

May sound harsh, but if they don't learn to get out of the way, TS. *I
have seen mocking birds in my back yard who TEASE the cat. *Bad move!

*claw my screens,

Hang mesh bag of mothballs over that part of the screen and they will
get the message.
Also ask owners (if known) to trim their nails. *If they won't, you do
it. *NEVER, NEVER DE-CLAW!!!

*spray their waste in my yard,

Are these unfixed Tomcats? They're usually the only ones who "spray".
Contact your local animal shelter and turn in the cat(s) *to be
fixed..

and torment my dog (who is NOT allowed to go into your yard to do his
business or his digging).
If you can catch them in the act, again, a good sharp blast from a
water *hose repeated a few visits in succession will convey the
message.

How about showing some responsibility for what you own?

Sounds like you might have irresponsible neighbors. * *Possible to
negotiate with them? *You do spray and mothballs and they get claws
clipped and unfixed males fixed.- Hide quoted text -

Mouse traps fix cats.