Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cat Doors - wisdom?

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:43:36 -0800 (PST), aemeijers
wrote:

On Dec 25, 10:23*am, "EXT" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

On 12/24/2010 3:53 PM, Erik wrote:
In ,
* Jeff *wrote:

* * I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part
of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall
rather than the door.

* * I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls.
So
either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube. Slope
it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind blocking.

* * Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else?
The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get a
lot of use.

* * Jeff

Hmmm... or maybe make it a bit longer than necessary, and have 2 doors
to form a little 'airlock'? The upsloping 'tunnel' part could even run
parallel to the outside wall face... cats are nimble enough to make a 90
degree turn.

Just thinking out loud... I've never done or been involved in such a
project.

Good Luck!

Erik

That sounds like a very good idea because small kids have been sent
through pet doors by burglars to unlock the door and there are some
small adult burglars who can get through pet doors too. :-)

Also other cats, small dogs, squirrels, rodents, raccoons and other
non-desirable animals can enter through a cat door. Indoor cats that go out
can get into cat fights, get injured, become road kill and/or bring home
fleas, bed bugs, worms and diseases. Indoor cats should stay indoors and
outdoor cats should stay outdoors.- Hide quoted text -

Indoor-only cats aren't cats any more- they are self-propelled plush
toys. Sure, they live longer- keep you locked up and you probably
would, too.

Ok, he have a couple of self-propelled plush toys that just think they're
cats. ;-) We had one to the ripe old age of 22, though for about half her
life she did go outside. Our last four or five never have been outside alone.