Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad tires---front or back

Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Herb Eneva wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

I think first of all you shouldn't have tires that bad that you're
concerned...

However, the logic is precisely backwards...it's much easier to control
if you have both front tires than only one--it is, after all, those that
are tied to the steering wheel.

It's also more likely to cause a rollover if a front drops and gouges
thus causing a full-bore cranking of the front wheels one direction or
t'other at speed.

Put the new ones on the front...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sep 2, 2:14*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

==
Best tires on front.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 3:14*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

Other than using one for a spare and only a spare, I wouldn't!

But what the hell, I am crazy old man who enjoys life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:14:49 -0400, Herb Eneva wrote:

Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

You want the best tires in the front where the steering and most of the
braking occurs and where the most weight is and if front wheel drive,
where the traction is needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb Eneva wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Buy a casket with lug nuts. Then they can put your tires on it
when they bury you.
If you're tires are so bad that you worry about where to put them,
they need to be REPLACED.
Take a survey of your family members. "What color casket would you like?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-02, mike wrote:

Buy a casket with lug nuts. Then they can put your tires on it
when they bury you.
If you're tires are so bad that you worry about where to put them,
they need to be REPLACED.
Take a survey of your family members. "What color casket would you like?"

The correct answer!

I jes had my bad front tires replaced. The tire dealer said the tread
was already separating from the core and it was jes a matter of miles
before I lost a front tire. Replace them.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 4:14*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

Watch this video...some people might be surprised.

http://www.dunntire.com/Learning_Cen...ideo_new_tires

or read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

or this:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Care.html#s9

Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 7:03*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 2, 4:14*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:

Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

Watch this video...some people might be surprised.

http://www.dunntire.com/Learning_Cen...ideo_new_tires

or read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

or this:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Care.html#s9

Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD

"Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD
or AWD"

Allow me to rephrase that...

Answer: The tires with the deepest tread go on the rear of the vehicle
- FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD

If the new tires do not have as deep a tread as the old ones then they
should go on the front.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb Eneva wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid
will be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Best tires on the front to help with emergency braking.

In emergency braking, weight shifts to the front, providing increased
frictional force.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Sep 2, 6:03*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 2, 4:14*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:

Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

Watch this video...some people might be surprised.

http://www.dunntire.com/Learning_Cen...ideo_new_tires

or read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

or this:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Care.html#s9

Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD

Note that all the recommendations mentioned are based on hydroplaning
on wet roads. Blowouts and flats at highway speed are a entirely
different case. So the decision should be based on your expected
conditions. Would drivers in the SW really be concerned with
hydroplaning more than tire heat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Bad tires go to the recycling place.

Best tires go on the back,
Good or better tires on the front.

I see many answer to put the good tires on the front. That was the common
method for many years, but now it is proved that the better tires should go
on the rear. I cannot recall where I saw it, but a web site has a video
showing why and it does make sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 7:32*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Herb Eneva wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid
will be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

Best tires on the front to help with emergency braking.

In emergency braking, weight shifts to the front, providing increased
frictional force.

Think about what you just said.

As the extra weight shifts to the front, the weight will increase the
traction. Therefore, the increased traction compensates for the less
tread. I can't shift weight to the rear, so the rear tires have more
chance of skidding if they have less tread.

Besides, most drivers can control a skidding front end better than a
skidding rear end. Therefore it makes more sense to do our best to
keep the rear end from skidding.

Let's keep in mind that we're not talking bald tires vs. brand new. If
anyone is driving on unsafe tires, then all bets are off.

Look, it's not just me making this argument. Please find me a modern,
credible site that says the best tires go on the front. I know that
that used to be the conventional thinking and even I was surprised to
see a sign stating that in a tire shop a few months ago.

Times - and wisdom - change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 7:39*pm, Red wrote:
[...]

Yes I noticed that, but there are also many other sites that say the
same thing about rear placement of the best tires and don't mention
hydroplaning. Braking traction and skidding, even in good conditions,
are stated as the reasons.

See my response to HeyBub about weight transfer. I ain't making this
up, I'm just keeping up with the times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:55:44 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Bad tires go to the recycling place.

Best tires go on the back,
Good or better tires on the front.

I see many answer to put the good tires on the front. That was the common
method for many years, but now it is proved that the better tires should go
on the rear. I cannot recall where I saw it, but a web site has a video
showing why and it does make sense.

That's what I would think, too. The back end had better stay back there.
OTOH, a blowout in the front can ruin your day, too. Modern tires don't tend
to self-destruct that way, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2010 8:20 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:55:44 -0400, "Ed wrote:

"Herb wrote in message
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Bad tires go to the recycling place.

Best tires go on the back,
Good or better tires on the front.

I see many answer to put the good tires on the front. That was the common
method for many years, but now it is proved that the better tires should go
on the rear. I cannot recall where I saw it, but a web site has a video
showing why and it does make sense.

That's what I would think, too. The back end had better stay back there.
OTOH, a blowout in the front can ruin your day, too. Modern tires don't tend
to self-destruct that way, though.

Stuff That Can Kill You, is not the place to cut corners. Even if i have
to postpone buying something else, I won't skimp on tires or brakes.
Engine dying is a PITA, but unlikely to kill you (other than in the
middle of a left turn, of course.) I've had a blowout at speed-
thankfully on the rear- and it was not fun. I've had brakes crap out
without warning- thankfully at low speed, and the handbrake still
worked- but again, not fun.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb wrote in message
[...]

No argument. Some don't have the sense they were born with, though.

Engine dying is a PITA, but unlikely to kill you (other than in the
middle of a left turn, of course.) I've had a blowout at speed-
thankfully on the rear- and it was not fun. I've had brakes crap out
without warning- thankfully at low speed, and the handbrake still
worked- but again, not fun.

I've never had a catastrophic blowout. I just had a rear tire go flat quickly
at highway speed (hit something in the road) but it wasn't an instantaneous
thing. It wasn't a sudden failure, however. I knew what was happening by the
time it was flat.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sep 2, 6:17*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 2, 7:32*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Herb Eneva wrote:
[...]

Exactly so...we were taught that the best tread should be on the front
for winter driving if we couldn't afford four new tires...now we are
told otherwise and the tire salesman say get ALL four winter tires to
be safe.
Since when most cars were rear drive and we were taught how to drive,
things have changed. My present vehicle has front wheel drive and it
took a while to get used to this.
==
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 7:32*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Herb Eneva wrote:
[...]

Of course they wouldn't have any other motivation to sell four tires rather
than two, right? Costco wouldn't sell two snow tires, some years back. All
tires had to be matched. I let my membership lapse shortly after.

Since when most cars were rear drive and we were taught how to drive,
things have changed. My present vehicle has front wheel drive and it
took a while to get used to this.

FWD is quite different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2010 3:14 PM, Herb Eneva wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

agree. btdt a few times.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:03:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sep 2, 4:14Â*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* What do ya`ll think?

Watch this video...some people might be surprised.

http://www.dunntire.com/Learning_Cen...ideo_new_tires

or read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

or this:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Care.html#s9

Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD

Having driven competetively I'd have to dissagree. But the BEST is to
have all 4 tires up to snuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

Bad tires go to the recycling place.

Best tires go on the back,
Good or better tires on the front.

I see many answer to put the good tires on the front. *That was the common
method for many years, but now it is proved that the better tires should go
on the rear. *I cannot recall where I saw it, but a web site has a video
showing why and it does make sense.

That's what I would think, too. *The back end had better stay back there.
OTOH, a blowout in the front can ruin your day, too. *Modern tires don't tend
to self-destruct that way, though.

==
A blow-out at 110 MPH can still be quite jolting when it
happens...especially so with a front tire. I have had them run right
off the rim...not for the faint of heart while driving in the
mountains.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:31:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sep 2, 7:03Â*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That was true with rear wheel drive and no ABS
As far as hydroplaning, yes it can be an issue with the over-width
tires on todays cars if they are bald. But driving in the rain in not
the majority of your driving - and hydroplaning conditions occur only
a few times a year for a few minutes at a time. A sensible driver just
slows down under those conditions. The REST of the time, better
traction on the front is more advantageous.

The video showing the hydroplaning shows drivers driving WAY TOO FAST
FOR CONDITIONS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Bad tires go to the recycling place.

Best tires go on the back,
Good or better tires on the front.

I see many answer to put the good tires on the front. That was the common
method for many years, but now it is proved that the better tires should go
on the rear. I cannot recall where I saw it, but a web site has a video
showing why and it does make sense.

That's what I would think, too. The back end had better stay back there.
OTOH, a blowout in the front can ruin your day, too. Modern tires don't tend
to self-destruct that way, though.

Oh?
What happens when you hit trash on the road and it slices the
sidewall?? One of the most common causes of sudden tire failure - and
it USUALLY affects the front tires. Also, radial tires are not
terribly forgiving of curb scuffs to the sidewall - which can cause
premature failure of the sidewall, and again affect the front wheels
more than the rear.
Granted, these situations are no respector of tread depth, but the new
tire is most likely to be in better condition, structually, than the
old tire.
I will continue to keep the best tires on the front of my front wheel
drive vehicles, and drive sanely in adverse conditions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 2, 7:32 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Herb Eneva wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front.
If you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the
problem is with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the
rear the skid will be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Best tires on the front to help with emergency braking.

In emergency braking, weight shifts to the front, providing increased
frictional force.

Think about what you just said.

As the extra weight shifts to the front, the weight will increase the
traction. Therefore, the increased traction compensates for the less
tread. I can't shift weight to the rear, so the rear tires have more
chance of skidding if they have less tread.

I stand corrected. Michelin says the better tires go on the back.

Bottom of the page - with video:
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...ent-questions/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote:
A blow-out at 110 MPH can still be quite jolting when it
happens...especially so with a front tire. I have had them run right
off the rim...not for the faint of heart while driving in the
mountains.
==

Then there's this.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/104050...fal ling_off/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 6:17Â*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 2, 7:32Â*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Herb Eneva wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid
will be a lot harder to control. Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* What do ya`ll think?

[...]

I've been driving FWD since about 1969 (a few RWD thrown in for good
measure, including rear engine, as well as 4wd - including rallying
FWD for a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:21:26 -0700, "Bob F"

That's what I would think, too. The back end had better stay back
there. OTOH, a blowout in the front can ruin your day, too. Modern
tires don't tend to self-destruct that way, though.

I experienced a rear tire blowout as a kid. Pretty wild ride - off the highway,
over a barbed wiree fence. Both bumpers folder back 90 degrees on the right end.
I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Have you suffered and survived a front wheel blowout???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:39:52 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

Would drivers in the SW really be concerned with
hydroplaning more than tire heat?

Only when it snows in Las Vegas.

People here cannot drive when it snows eight inches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Would drivers in the SW really be concerned with
hydroplaning more than tire heat?

Only when it snows in Las Vegas.

People here cannot drive when it snows eight inches.

They canceled work here on the mere prediction of snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
[...]

"Self-destruct"

One of the most common causes of sudden tire failure - and
it USUALLY affects the front tires. Also, radial tires are not
terribly forgiving of curb scuffs to the sidewall - which can cause
premature failure of the sidewall, and again affect the front wheels
more than the rear.

They rarely, if ever, suddenly explode. Even with major damage they tend to
go flat gracefully (i.e. don't just dissappear).

Granted, these situations are no respector of tread depth, but the new
tire is most likely to be in better condition, structually, than the
old tire.
I will continue to keep the best tires on the front of my front wheel
drive vehicles, and drive sanely in adverse conditions.

Suit yourself, but you're wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
Herb Eneva wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid
will be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Best tires on the front to help with emergency braking.

In emergency braking, weight shifts to the front, providing increased
frictional force.

Actually, an evenly worn tire that still has adequate tread often has
better traction than a brand new tire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 3:14*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

Here is my experiance, had Michelins 3 yrs old, 30000 miles, one front
broke a belt, so I got 2 fronts, went around a corner in snow and
fishtailed. Immediatly went and bought 2 new rears went around same
corner and all was fine. I find my tires get noticably worse traction
at about 30000 and at 60000 are to dangerous to keep. This is in my
opinion and has more to do with age of tires, oxidation-hardening of
rubber from the environment, then loosing tread. So new tires in front
where you have 65 % breaking and need steering and the rears can go
and fishtail, new tires in rear and the fronts might hydroplane and
you might not stop or stear through a corner. All 4 should be equal if
you drive in snow or wet is my opinion. Mixing new and old will lead
to unknown handling just when you need stability, in emergencys. Put
on 4 good ones that are equal
Posted to alt.home.repair

Living in snow country, and driving rear wheel drive. I put the newer
tires on back for traction.

Last year, I had a tire blow out. The left rear tire of my van picked
up a nail. The first I knew anything was wrong, the van wasn't
handling right. I pulled over. Find out that the sidewall on both
sides had sheared. The rim had a little rubber on it, and there was a
peel that resembled a tire, wrapped around the hub.

It was a Walmart tire, with warranty. I got a flatbed ride home. The
next day, I pulled the tire, and took it to another Walmart. $2.50
later, I had a new tire mounted and balanced. Just used up about five
hours or six, between the two days. Blow out, wait for tire guy, wait
for tow truck, jacking up the van, going to the store, wait for the
tire to be mounted, and replacing tire and all that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Best tires go on the back,
Good or better tires on the front.

I see many answer to put the good tires on the front. That was the
common
method for many years, but now it is proved that the better tires
should go
on the rear. I cannot recall where I saw it, but a web site has a
video
showing why and it does make sense.

That's what I would think, too. The back end had better stay back
there.
OTOH, a blowout in the front can ruin your day, too. Modern tires
don't tend
to self-destruct that way, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Living in snow country, and driving rear wheel drive. I put the newer
tires on back for traction.

Last year, I had a tire blow out. The left rear tire of my van picked
up a nail. The first I knew anything was wrong, the van wasn't
handling right. I pulled over. Find out that the sidewall on both
sides had sheared. The rim had a little rubber on it, and there was a
peel that resembled a tire, wrapped around the hub.

That tire didn't blow out. It went flat, and you continued to drive on it until
it was toast. That's way different than a blowout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sep 2, 4:14Â*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid
will be a lot harder to control. Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* What do ya`ll think?

Watch this video...some people might be surprised.

http://www.dunntire.com/Learning_Cen...ideo_new_tires

or read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

or this:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Care.html#s9

Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD

Having driven competetively I'd have to dissagree.

Yes, I think it very much depends on the vehicle (FWD or RWD, manual or
slushbox, weight distribution etc.) and the road conditions. A couple of
my RWD cars showed a lot of natural oversteer, but were quite
controllable whenever the back end did decide to get out of line - for
those I think I would have put as much grip as I could get on the front
rather than the back.

But the BEST is to have all 4 tires up to snuff.

Or five if you're carrying a spare

cheers

Jules