Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Bad tires---front or back

On Sep 2, 3:14*pm, (Herb Eneva) wrote:
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. * * * * * * What do ya`ll think?

Here is my experiance, had Michelins 3 yrs old, 30000 miles, one front
broke a belt, so I got 2 fronts, went around a corner in snow and
fishtailed. Immediatly went and bought 2 new rears went around same
corner and all was fine. I find my tires get noticably worse traction
at about 30000 and at 60000 are to dangerous to keep. This is in my
opinion and has more to do with age of tires, oxidation-hardening of
rubber from the environment, then loosing tread. So new tires in front
where you have 65 % breaking and need steering and the rears can go
and fishtail, new tires in rear and the fronts might hydroplane and
you might not stop or stear through a corner. All 4 should be equal if
you drive in snow or wet is my opinion. Mixing new and old will lead
to unknown handling just when you need stability, in emergencys. Put
on 4 good ones that are equal