Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need to put a vent in front of back boiler

I've just moved into a house which has a wooden floor and a Baxi
Bermuda back boiler/fire.

A vent in the floor exists already but it's on the opposite side of the
room and will be covered up by the sofa.

When I got a guy in to service the back boiler, he said he recommended
installing a vent directly in front of the fire as the one currently
installed is effectively useless.

So, is it as simple as rolling back the carpet, chopping a square out
of the floorboards and the carpet and then screwing some fancy looking
brass plate over the top?

Or is there more to it?

Thanks for any help!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Oct 2006 05:57:24 -0700, "Alex Flaherty"
wrote:

I've just moved into a house which has a wooden floor and a Baxi
Bermuda back boiler/fire.

A vent in the floor exists already but it's on the opposite side of the
room and will be covered up by the sofa.

When I got a guy in to service the back boiler, he said he recommended
installing a vent directly in front of the fire

Nice focus for conversation, that !

as the one currently installed is effectively useless.

So, is it as simple as rolling back the carpet, chopping a square out
of the floorboards and the carpet and then screwing some fancy looking
brass plate over the top?

Whooooah,

Back Boilers are now deprecated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated (just in case). ;-)

So I wouldn't chop any more holes in your living room floor for now.

AIUI CORGI fitters will no longer repair back boilers, and probably
BAXI will no longer supply the parts. Shortly in the future if not
now. Someone will be along with precise details shortly.

Brother in law had one removed last week.

Or is there more to it?

Think of where you are going to locate your new condensing boiler, and
how you are going to find the £1.5k - £2.5k to finance it. Console
yourself in the knowledge that back boilers were woefully
inefficient.

Thanks for any help!

One does one's best !

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Back Boilers are now deprecated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated (just in case). ;-)

So I wouldn't chop any more holes in your living room floor for now.

AIUI CORGI fitters will no longer repair back boilers, and probably
BAXI will no longer supply the parts. Shortly in the future if not

What a load of crap. We've had a Baxi Bermuda 552 for over 10 years. It's
regularly serviced (once a year) by British Gas as part of their 3-star
central heating cover (or whatever it's called now) the latest service
having been done just over a month ago - plenty of parts still available and
no mention whatsoever of having to do away with it.

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 19:12:38 +0100, "John"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Back Boilers are now deprecated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated (just in case). ;-)

So I wouldn't chop any more holes in your living room floor for now.

AIUI CORGI fitters will no longer repair back boilers, and probably
BAXI will no longer supply the parts. Shortly in the future if not

What a load of crap. We've had a Baxi Bermuda 552 for over 10 years. It's
regularly serviced (once a year) by British Gas as part of their 3-star
central heating cover (or whatever it's called now) the latest service
having been done just over a month ago - plenty of parts still available and
no mention whatsoever of having to do away with it.

And I wish you the best of British.

Comments anybody?

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"Alex Flaherty" writes:
I've just moved into a house which has a wooden floor and a Baxi
Bermuda back boiler/fire.

A vent in the floor exists already but it's on the opposite side of the
room and will be covered up by the sofa.

When I got a guy in to service the back boiler, he said he recommended
installing a vent directly in front of the fire as the one currently
installed is effectively useless.

So, is it as simple as rolling back the carpet, chopping a square out
of the floorboards and the carpet and then screwing some fancy looking
brass plate over the top?

Or is there more to it?

You'll need to find out how big it has to be -- do you have the
boiler's installation instructions? You will probably find it needs
to be much bigger than you imagined. Also, it mustn't be closable,
because someone might close it! You would also need to make sure
there is plenty of under-floor ventilation to the outside -- I think
there are some rules for this case but I don't know them off-hand.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 19:12:38 +0100, "John"
wrote:

.. .

http://snipurl.com/yfe6

From: Dave Plowman (News) - view profile
Date: Tues, Sep 26 2006 7:03 pm

[...]

I presume you mean scrapping the back boiler and installing a new one
in the loft?

*************************
From: Ed Sirett - view profile
Date: Tues, Sep 26 2006 7:19 pm

You do not want to move that boiler anywhere except to the scrap man.
You may not reuse it, it is too old to be of any further use.
You almost certainly may not replace it with another back boiler.

You could do worse that to look over the BoilerChoice FAQ below.

***************************

I rest my case.

R.U. Receiving me?

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 19:16:40 +0100, Derek ^
wrote:

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 19:12:38 +0100, "John"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Back Boilers are now deprecated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated (just in case). ;-)

So I wouldn't chop any more holes in your living room floor for now.

AIUI CORGI fitters will no longer repair back boilers, and probably
BAXI will no longer supply the parts. Shortly in the future if not

What a load of crap. We've had a Baxi Bermuda 552 for over 10 years. It's
regularly serviced (once a year) by British Gas as part of their 3-star
central heating cover (or whatever it's called now) the latest service
having been done just over a month ago - plenty of parts still available and
no mention whatsoever of having to do away with it.

And I wish you the best of British.

Comments anybody?

DG

still for sale
http://www.baxi.co.uk/products/literature/Baxi_BermudaBroch.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 7, 8:03 pm, Derek ^ wrote:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 19:12:38 +0100, "John"
wrote:

.. .

John.http://snipurl.com/yfe6

From: Dave Plowman (News) - view profile
Date: Tues, Sep 26 2006 7:03 pm

[...]

From: Ed Sirett - view profile
Date: Tues, Sep 26 2006 7:19 pm

You do not want to move that boiler anywhere except to the scrap man.
You may not reuse it, it is too old to be of any further use.
You almost certainly may not replace it with another back boiler.

You could do worse that to look over the BoilerChoice FAQ below.

***************************

I rest my case.

R.U. Receiving me?

Loud and clear, but I think it's you who needs to test their reception.

(1) There's a big difference between not being allowed to fit new (or
move existing as in quote from Ed Sirett) inefficient boilers, except
in documented circumstances where a condensing boiler is innapropriate,
and CORGI engineers refusing to repair them in-situ.

(2) There's no evidence that the OPs boiler needs repairing, he just
wants to move the vent.

MBQ

Plumbing automatic woodfired boiler Aidan UK diy 1 August 15th 05 09:24 AM
Non-modulating condensing boilers? Egremont UK diy 34 July 22nd 05 07:02 PM
New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Need Help with Gas Boiler Vent Problem! Karen Home Repair 0 December 15th 03 03:05 AM