Karen

Default Need Help with Gas Boiler Vent Problem!

Hello, We bought a house and just moved in and noticed that the
propaine gas fired Boiler is vented horizontally out from basement to
the outside with pipe and terminating on the outside a few feet from
the ground level. The house is a 1 story ranch and the pipe terminates
on the side of the house where the eaves are. The problem is that it
is causing condensation up under the eaves and frost is forming on the
rafters in crawlspace above house. The system is 7 years old.
Obviously this was vented wrong needs to be vented elsewhere or some
other solution. The previous owners did not use the boiler that often
and used wood.
There is exsisting chimney that is close to the boiler that was
used by the previous owner for a wood boiler that is no longer there.
The chimney is not in use now and and we have no plans for using it.
The chimney is centrally located in the building The flue is tile.
Can the boiler be vented into this exsisting chimney? Do we need to
add a galvanized pipe inside chimney or do the following directions
mean that if the chimney is insiet the building that the boiler may be
vented into it with out the galvanized pipe in chimney? I understand
the second part of the instructions for the chimney on the outside
wall but not the par for the chimney on the inside.
The Boiler is a Weil-McLain High- Efficiency Gas Boiler. (HE II 5)
Here is a quote from the Venting directions, they are confusing.
"The HE II boiler may be vented directly through an outside wall or
through the roof using standard 3-inch galvanized vent pipe. In
addition, the boiler may be vented into a chimney inside the building
with or without other gas appliances, using single-wall galvaized vent
pipe. For extended runs
through cold area-or when venting into a chimney on an outside wall-
Type 304 or 316 stainlss steel vent pipe must be used. When venting
into an outside chimney, the stainless vent pipe must run through the
ntire length of the chimney." Any thouhgts and/or advice will be
appreciated Thank you.

Over Flowing boiler Problem mcslinger UK diy 13 February 17th 04 01:45 PM
Interesting Boiler Problem Jay UK diy 4 December 18th 03 10:22 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM
Old Baxi WM 531 RS boiler problem David Hearn UK diy 8 December 1st 03 06:58 PM