David Hearn

Default Old Baxi WM 531 RS boiler problem

Okay - 2 things...

Firstly the quickie - does anyone have a PDF (or similar) of the manual for
the above boiler? I've no manuals or anything, and I'd find it interesting
and useful.

Now the longer problem.

When our boiler was 'serviced' the engineer said that the thing which
connects to the boiler thermostat had siezed. I don't know its name exactly
(I thought it was a thermocouple as that's what it looked like on our old
but similar Baxi boiler which slipped out easily, but I'm wondering now
whether its just a temperature sensor). He said it would need to be drilled
out should anyone need to open the boiler. Without removing it from the
heat exchanger, you can only open the front of the boiler a small way.

I thought I would see whether I could get it out last night - it just pushes
in and pulls out. I tried pulling it in and out a little and at one point I
noticed a 'leakage' of some liquid around the hole it went into (and was
soaked up by the material). Not very much - but it evaporated very quickly.
Also noticed a smell of something like solvents. At this point I stopped
doing anything!

Now this morning I noticed a banging sound from 'outside' which I now
believe to be overspill via the expansion tank. Also my wife said there was
"a strong smell of superglue in the kitchen".

Now - I can't figure out where some solvent smelling thing could come from
in an old boiler - unless the temperature sensor thing was actually a tube
containing a solvent which I split by wiggling it. Result was that the
boiler's thermostat no longer works.

Is this a correct guess at what has gone wrong? Otherwise I cannot figure
out where such solvent could come from (its not gas).

Is this an easy fix (something I can do myself if its just insert new probe
and connect to thermostat in boiler?).

Thanks

BigWallop

"David Hearn" wrote in message
[...]

The smell could be coming from the mercury substitute inside the coupling
which would mean it is split and the leaking liquid. If it has corroded
inside the tube, then it will need carefully drilled out to remove any
residue of the old casing.

Roger Mills

[...]

Sounds like you have the type of thermostat which has a bulb containing a
volatile liquid (ether or some such) connected to a pressure sensing switch
by means of a capillary tube. The whole thing is a sealed unit and no longer
works if it develops a leak. You'll need to remove and replace the whole
thermostat assembly.

It the stat doesn't work, it won't switch off the boiler when it gets up to
temperature - so it will overheat, causing the banging noises which you
witnessed.

DO NOT RUN THE BOILER without a working stat!

Roger

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:48:54 +0000, David Hearn wrote:

[...]

Oh shi*t!
What has happen is that the thermostat has failed big time.
The consequence is that the boiler has now boiled.
The thermostat consists of a phial, capilliary tube, gubbins and a user
knob. The liquid in the phial & tube was probably alcohol, hence the
smell.

Essentially the repair job is simple as the new unit consists of new gubbins
attached to a tube and a phial and a few electrical connections to the
gubbins.

You can get the manual from the manuafacturer. You might even be able to
find it online.

The part is likely to cost less than 25 quid (maybe much less).
Given that you are not familiar with boilers you should probably get some
help. Although with the manual you would probably do just fine.

This boiler is up for renewal but the thermostat would still be worth
replacing to get you through to the civilised part of the year for boiler
replacements.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

David Hearn

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

Okay - thermostat has been removed and the bulb part has been drilled out.
I did this very carefully and everyting took me the best part of 2.5 hours.
I am SOOOOOOOOO glad I did that part myself! Okay a proper engineer may
have done it quicker - possibly taking less care - but I'm glad I've done it
now.

Next problem - sourcing a new thermostat.

The thermostat has the following markings on the bottom:

RANCO
16A 250V~
10A 380V~
T107oC

I guess its a 16A thermostat which turns off at 107 degrees C.

On one side of it it's got 102027 and the other side has G1 11685 49 75 1P.

http://www.keeptheheaton.com/acatalo...ermostats.html lists:

Baxi 102027 Thermostat K36P1324
Thermostat K36P1324 .(Please note Baxi re-numbered this part several years
ago. If the part fitted is marked K36P1324 order this part. If the part
fitted is marked CL6PO115 use 235464)

Price: £12.20 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

So - if I need to ask around for the thermostat - do I ask for 102027 or
K36P1324?

Any other good sources of this part?

The other thing I wondered about was whether I could get the probe/sensor
separately. Its a sealed tube and I've removed it all, and it would be easy
to keep the 'gubbins' and just replace the tube. The same page lists:

Baxi 230204 Thermostat Sensor
Thermostat Sensor (379-030)

Price: £9.13 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

Judging by the price difference (and the fact I've no idea if that sensor is
the same thing as I've no part number for that bit) - I think its probably
best to just replace it all.

Thanks for your help - you've saved me a bunch!

David Hearn

[...]

Hmm, searching around further, there seems to be a couple of thermostats
labeled 102027. For example, http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/ lists (okay, for
the WM 532, not the 531) two thermostats with a manufacturer code of 102027
(GC Numbers of 382-313 and 384-166).

So - does anyone know which thermostat I'll need for a Baxi WM 532 RS CHB
boiler who's thermostat is labled 102027?

Thanks

David

Roger Mills

[...]

You might have to resort to ringing Baxi's technical support line on
(National Rate) 08706 096096.

Roger

David Hearn

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that. I gave them a call and was told that as I wasn't Corgi
registered I couldn't speak to the technical support team, and after saying
what I was calling about got put through to a Spares number. They confirmed
there were two parts, and that either were suitable but suggested one.

I called KeepTheHeatOn.Com who also were very helpful and pointed me towards
the same one which Baxi Spares pointed me. They admitted they'd made a
mistake on the price on their website (it had been on offer last month and
not restored to original price and honoured the cheaper price!) and quoted
me £9.20 + VAT and £4.50 (guaranteed next day delivery) and had 23 in stock.
My local place quoted me £23 (I guess + VAT) to get it into their place
sometime tomorrow. I went with KeepTheHeatOn.Com (and gave my local place
the URL as they'd not heard of it before and said they couldn't beat that
price!).

I'm glad I sorted it now. Okay, its cost us £16, 2.5 hours of my time, and
(worst part) 48 hours without central heating. But I think its
signfificantly cheaper than the cost I'd have had to get a plumber to drill
it out and replace it (which would have needed to have been done when/if
anyone needed to open up boiler).

Thanks for all your help!

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:27:44 +0000, David Hearn wrote:

[...]

So - you have read the FAQ below?
You have found the plate with the GC number on it on the boiler.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Hot water problem with my combi boiler Andrew Bainbridge UK diy 1 October 25th 03 10:21 PM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 10:00 PM
Baxi Bermuda boiler Steve UK diy 10 October 21st 03 08:03 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM
Baxi Solo 2 PF 80 boiler won't fire up Dave Burleigh UK diy 3 August 11th 03 04:24 PM