Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Bad tires---front or back

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 20:45:39 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:14:49 -0400,
(Herb Eneva)
wrote:

Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

What do I think????
You're NUTS. Particularly on front wheel drive vehicles, you want your
best tires on the front. They do the driving, They do roughly 80% of
the braking, and they do the steering.

One back wheel will keep the ass end in line if you know how to drive.

I agreed with that until i saw the video derbydad posted the link to.
Watching the video I was thinking-- 'so just slow down, stupid'. But
then the narrator pointed out that with the more-likely-to-hydroplane
tires on the front, you get some warning that the road is bad because
you feel it in the steering wheel. With them on the back-- you've
already started a skid when you realize the road conditions changed.

I'm still a 4-tires-at-a-time guy, but know that lots of folks like to
save some pennies-- and I'm now a put-the-new-ones-on-the-rear-guy.

Jim
[and what was the FWD you had in 1969? I didn't have the pleasure
until 1984]