Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad tires---front or back

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 21:02:39 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:20:27 -0500, "
wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:55:44 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If
you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is
with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will
be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Bad tires go to the recycling place.

Best tires go on the back,
Good or better tires on the front.

I see many answer to put the good tires on the front. That was the common
method for many years, but now it is proved that the better tires should go
on the rear. I cannot recall where I saw it, but a web site has a video
showing why and it does make sense.

That's what I would think, too. The back end had better stay back there.
OTOH, a blowout in the front can ruin your day, too. Modern tires don't tend
to self-destruct that way, though.

Oh?
What happens when you hit trash on the road and it slices the
sidewall??

"Self-destruct"

One of the most common causes of sudden tire failure - and
it USUALLY affects the front tires. Also, radial tires are not
terribly forgiving of curb scuffs to the sidewall - which can cause
premature failure of the sidewall, and again affect the front wheels
more than the rear.

They rarely, if ever, suddenly explode. Even with major damage they tend to
go flat gracefully (i.e. don't just dissappear).

Granted, these situations are no respector of tread depth, but the new
tire is most likely to be in better condition, structually, than the
old tire.
I will continue to keep the best tires on the front of my front wheel
drive vehicles, and drive sanely in adverse conditions.

Suit yourself, but you're wrong.