Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Marvel Lubricating Oil

A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 3:24*pm, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. *The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. *I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. *Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. *Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I'd say it's a bit thin. My walmart has 30wt nondetergent. I'd
probably lean that way if I couldn't find 20wt. Nondetergent also
gets used in things like pressure washers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I'd say it's a bit thin. My walmart has 30wt nondetergent. I'd
probably lean that way if I couldn't find 20wt. Nondetergent also
gets used in things like pressure washers.

Non-synthetic compressor oils will be low-foaming non-detergent and
generally can find both 20W and 30W.

I'd go lighter rather than heavier on viscosity; just lube a little more
frequently.

The Marvel stuff I'd presume unless it says specifically it isn't will
be detergent-laden. The web site is useless for any actual information;
the Turtle Wax site doesn't do anything except link to the old Marvel
site. The slogan's right -- it's a mystery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on the
label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

It would proly depend on whether the bearings were bronze sleeve, or ball
bearing.
My first impulse is that marvel would be a little thick for bronze sleeve,
proly OK for ball bearing.

I think Marvel is more of an additive to oils, but not sure. I have a
bunch, I'll check the apparent viscosity, etc.
The folks on rec.crafts.metalworking would have more info on oils, motors,
bearings, etc.

SaltyAss is an idiot, with his one-syllable responses.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 4:53*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

Ive always used 3 N1 for that application, I am pretty sure its 20W.

JImmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I always use 10-30 in my oil can with a table spoon of STP oil additive.
I never heard of a motor dying from detergent oil. Do you want the dirt
to stay in your bearings and bushings or dissolve and flow out. That's
how I see it.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I'd say it's a bit thin. My walmart has 30wt nondetergent. I'd
probably lean that way if I couldn't find 20wt. Nondetergent also
gets used in things like pressure washers.

Thanks, it looks as if you and Salty Dog are right.

One way to measure viscosity of motor oil is cSt at 40C. CSt is a
measure of the number of seconds it takes a certain amount to drain
through a certain tube.

At 40C, the cSt of 10W should be 25-35
20W 40-80
30 80-120

I have a fresh can of 10W-30, a remnant of 30W nondetergent in a can I
bought last year, and a little 20W-50 in a can several years old. I
started with the 10W-30 because it's the freshest.

seconds at 25C
10W30 22
20W50 40
30W 47

If the 10W30 has a cSt about 30, the 20W-50 has a cSt of 55. So far, so
good. The 30W ND seems to have a cSt of 64, like 20W oil. So maybe
that brand of 30W could pass for 20W.

The Marvel Lubricating Oil? Three seconds!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bad choice. Dries out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE"
wrote in message

Ive always used 3 N1 for that application, I am pretty sure its 20W.

JImmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

The detergent allows the oil to absorb humidity, which will damage the
berrings.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT"
wrote in message ...

I always use 10-30 in my oil can with a table spoon of STP oil
additive.
I never heard of a motor dying from detergent oil. Do you want the
dirt
to stay in your bearings and bushings or dissolve and flow out. That's
how I see it.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Made for the purpose, and works very well.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DanG" wrote in message
A small bottle of non detergent machine oil with a built in spout
is easily available at any appliance parts store, similar to :
http://www.johnstonesupply.com/corp/...uct_group=1762

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"J Burns" wrote in message
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was
permanently lubricated. The other day I got my head a little
lower and saw a second decal saying it should be lubricated every
couple of years with 20W nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did
find a 4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the
uses listed on the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a
furnace blower?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

Good show, very inneresting.

But simply shaking MMoil, or feeling it, tells you its too thin.
My jugs of it tout it as an additive. So you may be able to "cut" some of
the oil you have, and use it in your motor, if the oil you have feels too
thick. Or perform you cSt test on various mixtures..

I used to use Marvel Mystery Oil. The Lubricating Oil doesn't feel the
same, as I recall.

I found a data sheet from Flinn Scientific: 30% mineral spirits, 67%
naphthenic base oil distillates.

The mineral spirits could wash away the lubricant. The naphthenic base
oil distillates have low viscosity. Their lubricating performance and
oxidation stability make them undesirable as lubricating oils.

I don't know how far I'd have to go to get 20W ND. At room temperature,
the 30W I have drains from a pipette about like 20W. If it's a little
more viscous than the motor manufacturer intended, I wonder what harm it
would do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2010 2:24 PM, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

Someone has already mentioned the turbine oil in the plastic bottle with
the pull out spout. It can be found at just about any appliance
parts store, HVAC, electric motor or industrial supply house. What
I've seen comes in SAE-10 and SAE-20 weight. 3-IN-ONE produces a
special SAE-20 blend for electric motors larger than 1/4 HP.

http://www.shopwiki.com/Zoom+Spout+Oil

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...aspx?SKU=10705

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:50:40 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

REALLY bad advice.

Why?
Inneresting, how you think so much of yourself, your own advice, that you
feel no obligation whatsoever to elaborate on your little edicts. The
hallmark of a spoiled brat, still being supported by mommy.

Howzat Geothermal doin??
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:44:37 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

3 in One does have a version for small motors that is straight 20
weight. Not the same as the "household" 3 in one.

Marvel is basically ATF, and is only suitble for giving Existential
Angst an enema. He needs them daily because he is always full of ****.

Notice that his answer is that he really has no idea what Marvel Oil
is, but he gives advice anyway.

Actually, no one except research chemists know what ANY oil is, ergo the
field day that these companies have in making all their outrageous claims.
Ergo the fact that the largely useless WD40 dominates the market, altho
their under-handed marketing certainly helps.

There is stupid, and then there is so stupid you don't even know you are
stupid.
You are the latter.

So, SaltyAss, in his original one word answer (No), guessed right,

It was not a guess.

No?
And your claim that MM oil was ATF was, what, based on your own chemical
research?

And, boy does that make you mad!

So now you are both mad and stupid.

See the above on stupidness

Your mother clearly never slapped you enough.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:25:03 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

You mean other than the fact that ANY advice from you is usually
REALLY bad advice?

Yup.
And while you're at it, support THAT claim, as well.
Of couse, you can't say why mixing oils is bad, and you won't be able to
support your insult.
Keep flailing.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:25:03 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

It is not suitable for lubricating the bearings on an electric motor
of that size, or that use.

For openers, the flash point is only 128 degrees F.

That's right, dimwit. It's quite FLAMMABLE.

And what part of "mix" didn't you understand?

AND, you are an ignerint liar.

First, flash point has little to do with flammability of the liquid. Look
it up. You can have a very low flash point, and a very high ignition temp.

Second, MM oil is BARELY flammable, and won't sustain its own forced
combustion -- AT ALL.
How do I know? Cuz I just put some in the blue flame of my stove. Hot
enough for you?

Third, even if MM oil DID have a meaningful flashpoint, the quantities are
so small as to be insignficant, in an electric motor.
Fourth, did I mention MIX a little MM oil with other oils? Oh yeah, I did,
but you didn't understand that...

Fifth, go get a part-time job, help out yer mom a little.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:35:55 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:25:03 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

Marvel Mystery Oil is about SAE 3W, which is quite a bit thinner than
the SAE 20w called for in this application.

Still don't understand "mix", eh?

It is also quite flammable at relatively low temps.

See my other post. You are dead wrong.

Probably not too
smart to use on a heavy duty motor, especially one attached to a
furnace. Of course, "not too smart" is a specialty of yours, so maybe
you should try it.

It's about 20% solvents. I'll bet that really leads to long bearing
life!

Heh, the mix thing again...

Once again, for anybody reading this... Existential Angst is either a
complete moron, or he deliberately posts incorrect and sometime
dangerous advice. Either way, you really don't want to do anything he
suggests without first asking someone with a little knowledge and a
lot less hostility.

Well, I have enough knowledge to put some MM oil in a blue flame and observe
that it does not burn.
And I know the diff between flash point and ignition point.

Funny how you speak with so much authority, and are wrong in almost all of
your assertions.
Once in a while you luck out, but clearly it is luck.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:35:55 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:25:03 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

And let's see.....

You claimed MM oil was like ATF, right?

ATF has a cSt of about 40 (at 40 deg C), which makes it like, what, a 50 wt
oil?

Yet you just issued another one of your edicts, that MM oil is a *3 wt
oil*.....

Would you like to get your assertions straight?

--
EA

It is also quite flammable at relatively low temps. Probably not too
smart to use on a heavy duty motor, especially one attached to a
furnace. Of course, "not too smart" is a specialty of yours, so maybe
you should try it.

It's about 20% solvents. I'll bet that really leads to long bearing
life!

Once again, for anybody reading this... Existential Angst is either a
complete moron, or he deliberately posts incorrect and sometime
dangerous advice. Either way, you really don't want to do anything he
suggests without first asking someone with a little knowledge and a
lot less hostility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:58:33 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:35:55 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

news:gce11616p2hrb41i262nlt2jru5pd67lr7@4ax. com...
wrote:

"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

Here, take a look at the rather prominent warning on the front of the
can:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toomuch...ne/2435371702/

DANGER - COMBUSTIBLE

STILL not understanding "mix"???
STill not understanding, "I put MM oil in a blue stove flame and it didn't
burn"????
Still don't understand the CYA nature of labeling? goddamm vegetable oil is
combustible....

AND, according to the MSDS, if you mix combustibles with non-combustibles
(like motor oil) with certain proportions, the mixture is no longer
combustible -- ESP if chemical interactions have occured.

Also, you said "flammable", which is distinctly different than
"combustible".

Well, at least you made it clear how you go about gathering information --
from goddamm pictures of old cans on Flickr.... That sounds about right for
you.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:58:33 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:35:55 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

m...

wrote:

"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

You may as well thin the oil with gasoline. You'll have similar
results.

You are a chemist, now? Gasoline is short/medium-chain hydrocarbons.
MM oil is...... ??

It is also quite flammable at relatively low temps.

See my other post. You are dead wrong.

How inconvenient for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

And???

Once again - the flash point (now that you know what it means) for
Marvel Mystery Oil is 128 degrees F.

How do you know it is 128 F??

The product is labled "DANGER - COMBUSTIBLE" in LARGE TYPE on the
front of the can,

Except you were saying it would burn up in an electric motor.
I put it in a blue flame, and it did not burn. Are you still not
understanding this?

Combustibility has to do with a flammable vapor, not the liquid itself. The
whole concept is essentially irrelevant in the context of a bronze bearing
in an electric motor, yet you keep harping on it.

If the context were 55 gal open drums in a warehouse where welding was going
on, then yeah, there is a cause for concern, but this is a totally different
context. Absolutely no appreciable vapor of MM oil, by itself and certainly
if mixed with 30 or 40 wt oil, could *possibly* accumulate in an electric
motor, esp. with air currents inherent around 99.999% of motors, ESP a
blower. From what, mebbe 1 cc of MM oil???

Which makes you are a straw-clutching idiot. Just like in those horsepower
threads, which you are apparently still smarting from.

and the MSDS also confirms that it is considered
flammable.

Wrong again.

For a material to be classed as flammable, the flash point needs to be below
100 F.
Which is proly why the MM oil label did not say "flammable".

Show us how the MSDS considers MM oil to be flammable.

How long are you going to persist in this?
You do have tenacity, I must say. Which is often associated with stupidity.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 9:29*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:44:37 -0400, "Existential Angst"

wrote:
.. .

wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

Well, unlike SaltyAss,
1. *I have mystery oil
2. *I use it
3. *I gave my "hunch"
4. *I gave a source of people who really WILL know the answer.
5. *Since you are one of these assholes always bleating for cites, why don't
you cite your source that Marvel is ATF.

NOW --

Since I have three effing gallons of the stuff, I just looked.

Marvel is an additive, as I initially guessed, for both oil and gas, in
auto's. *It does not say it's good for bearings, by itself, on the labels I
read.
It is kind of thin-ish, does not have the "feel" of 3 in 1's, or motor oils.
It *certainly* does not feel like ATF.

I may have hunched wrong -- I suspect it wouldn't be the best choice for an
electric motor, judging from the feel/viscosity. *But still, the rcm peeple
are the ones to ask.

So, SaltyAss, in his original one word answer (No), guessed right, but like
everything he says, it's basically the dart throw of a blind man, and a loud
bratty blind man at that.

Heh, like his 7-year ROI on his geothermal energy system in his mom's
house..... *He should move in with Trader4, for some joint confabulations.

Is Marvel Lubrication oil the same as Marvel Mystery Oil sold as an
additive? By the MSDS it appears so.
It is a decent penetrating oil (mmo) and a much better lubricant than
WD40. It is NOT an SAE20 weight oil, nor is it ATF, in some electric
motor bearings it would soften up and redistribute any lube that is
dried in and around the bearings - and add SOME lubrication - but not
the best oil for the job *3 in One makes more than one product - and
the stuff with the red (and black) label * is called all-purpose and
is too light for the blower motor. The blue lable container is for
small motors and is SAE20.

Some where I heard MMO is mineral oil with some additives. From the
smell I could go along with this.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:45:30 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:58:33 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

news:n582161lb3vn062h8lrb4ain3tm2c8cmdc@4ax. com...

wrote:

"J Burns" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
[...]

read it and weep:

http://www.turtlewax.com/res/msds/MM010-4.pdf

FLAMMABLE!

Read
http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/flammable.html
http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/combustible.html

The fact that MSDS classified MM oil as flammable just goes to show that
good help is hard to find, as they violated their own definition of
"flammable".
An example of one moron bolstering another moron.
Heh, mebbe YOU could get a job with the MSDS......

Which is all moot anyway, since MM doesn't burn in a blue flame, a fact
which you have yet to acknowledge -- as well as the mixture thing, as well
as your ATF claim, and almost everything else you've tried to come up with.

The ONLY thing you were right about was your first guess, that MM by itself
is proly not suitable for bearings, and that was a lucky guess, given your
prediliction for error after error, and an inability to gauge context.

Clutching at meaningless details, btw, is another hallmark of stupidity.

Remember your initial assertion: That MM was bad, because it was dangerous
near a motor.
Clearly that assertion is false.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message
[...]

There are three classes of mineral oils: paraffinic oils (they
lubricate), naphthenic oils (they dissolve but don't lubricate well),
and mineral spirits. MMO has naphthenic oils and mineral spirits. It's
intended to dissolve deposits and may do more harm than good in modern
engines.

Apparently, Marvel Lubricating Oil is substantially the same, as EA
said. The little bottle and the different name fooled me.

I thought this group had saved me from making a terrible mistake, but
when I removed the motor, I found no oil ports. Well, if I have to oil
some other motor, I'll know better than to use anything labeled Marvel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

No. I'd use either some 3 in 1 brand 20 weight motor oil or some
"zoomspout" turbine oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The detergent allows the oil to absorb humidity, which will damage the
berrings.

I haven't damaged any in 50 years.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on the
label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I had not read all the replies so my thoughts are what I always use on
motors. Turbine Oil. That is what the utility company I worked for used. I
leaves NO residue as it is used. WalMart did have in a pull spout container.
I also use on shop router bearings. WW