Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Marvel Lubricating Oil

On Jun 9, 9:29*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:44:37 -0400, "Existential Angst"

wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:04:57 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Jun 9, 4:53 pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the
label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

It would proly depend on whether the bearings were bronze sleeve, or
ball
bearing.
My first impulse is that marvel would be a little thick for bronze
sleeve,
proly OK for ball bearing.

I think Marvel is more of an additive to oils, but not sure. I have a
bunch, I'll check the apparent viscosity, etc.
The folks on rec.crafts.metalworking would have more info on oils,
motors,
bearings, etc.

SaltyAss is an idiot, with his one-syllable responses.
--
EA

Ive always used 3 N1 *for that application, I am pretty sure its 20W..

JImmie

3 in One does have a version for small motors that is straight 20
weight. Not the same as the "household" 3 in one.

Marvel is basically ATF, and is only suitble for giving Existential
Angst an enema. He needs them daily because he is always full of ****.

Notice that his answer is that he really has no idea what Marvel Oil
is, but he gives advice anyway.

Well, unlike SaltyAss,
1. *I have mystery oil
2. *I use it
3. *I gave my "hunch"
4. *I gave a source of people who really WILL know the answer.
5. *Since you are one of these assholes always bleating for cites, why don't
you cite your source that Marvel is ATF.

NOW --

Since I have three effing gallons of the stuff, I just looked.

Marvel is an additive, as I initially guessed, for both oil and gas, in
auto's. *It does not say it's good for bearings, by itself, on the labels I
read.
It is kind of thin-ish, does not have the "feel" of 3 in 1's, or motor oils.
It *certainly* does not feel like ATF.

I may have hunched wrong -- I suspect it wouldn't be the best choice for an
electric motor, judging from the feel/viscosity. *But still, the rcm peeple
are the ones to ask.

So, SaltyAss, in his original one word answer (No), guessed right, but like
everything he says, it's basically the dart throw of a blind man, and a loud
bratty blind man at that.

Heh, like his 7-year ROI on his geothermal energy system in his mom's
house..... *He should move in with Trader4, for some joint confabulations.

Is Marvel Lubrication oil the same as Marvel Mystery Oil sold as an
additive? By the MSDS it appears so.
It is a decent penetrating oil (mmo) and a much better lubricant than
WD40. It is NOT an SAE20 weight oil, nor is it ATF, in some electric
motor bearings it would soften up and redistribute any lube that is
dried in and around the bearings - and add SOME lubrication - but not
the best oil for the job *3 in One makes more than one product - and
the stuff with the red (and black) label * is called all-purpose and
is too light for the blower motor. The blue lable container is for
small motors and is SAE20.

Some where I heard MMO is mineral oil with some additives. From the
smell I could go along with this.

Jimmie