Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Marvel Lubricating Oil

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I'd say it's a bit thin. My walmart has 30wt nondetergent. I'd
probably lean that way if I couldn't find 20wt. Nondetergent also
gets used in things like pressure washers.

Non-synthetic compressor oils will be low-foaming non-detergent and
generally can find both 20W and 30W.

I'd go lighter rather than heavier on viscosity; just lube a little more
frequently.

The Marvel stuff I'd presume unless it says specifically it isn't will
be detergent-laden. The web site is useless for any actual information;
the Turtle Wax site doesn't do anything except link to the old Marvel
site. The slogan's right -- it's a mystery.