Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Marvel Lubricating Oil

A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 3:24*pm, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. *The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. *I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. *Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. *Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I'd say it's a bit thin. My walmart has 30wt nondetergent. I'd
probably lean that way if I couldn't find 20wt. Nondetergent also
gets used in things like pressure washers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I'd say it's a bit thin. My walmart has 30wt nondetergent. I'd
probably lean that way if I couldn't find 20wt. Nondetergent also
gets used in things like pressure washers.

Non-synthetic compressor oils will be low-foaming non-detergent and
generally can find both 20W and 30W.

I'd go lighter rather than heavier on viscosity; just lube a little more
frequently.

The Marvel stuff I'd presume unless it says specifically it isn't will
be detergent-laden. The web site is useless for any actual information;
the Turtle Wax site doesn't do anything except link to the old Marvel
site. The slogan's right -- it's a mystery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:24 pm, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I'd say it's a bit thin. My walmart has 30wt nondetergent. I'd
probably lean that way if I couldn't find 20wt. Nondetergent also
gets used in things like pressure washers.

Thanks, it looks as if you and Salty Dog are right.

One way to measure viscosity of motor oil is cSt at 40C. CSt is a
measure of the number of seconds it takes a certain amount to drain
through a certain tube.

At 40C, the cSt of 10W should be 25-35
20W 40-80
30 80-120

I have a fresh can of 10W-30, a remnant of 30W nondetergent in a can I
bought last year, and a little 20W-50 in a can several years old. I
started with the 10W-30 because it's the freshest.

seconds at 25C
10W30 22
20W50 40
30W 47

If the 10W30 has a cSt about 30, the 20W-50 has a cSt of 55. So far, so
good. The 30W ND seems to have a cSt of 64, like 20W oil. So maybe
that brand of 30W could pass for 20W.

The Marvel Lubricating Oil? Three seconds!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on the
label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

It would proly depend on whether the bearings were bronze sleeve, or ball
bearing.
My first impulse is that marvel would be a little thick for bronze sleeve,
proly OK for ball bearing.

I think Marvel is more of an additive to oils, but not sure. I have a
bunch, I'll check the apparent viscosity, etc.
The folks on rec.crafts.metalworking would have more info on oils, motors,
bearings, etc.

SaltyAss is an idiot, with his one-syllable responses.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 4:53*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

Ive always used 3 N1 for that application, I am pretty sure its 20W.

JImmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bad choice. Dries out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE"
wrote in message

Ive always used 3 N1 for that application, I am pretty sure its 20W.

JImmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I always use 10-30 in my oil can with a table spoon of STP oil additive.
I never heard of a motor dying from detergent oil. Do you want the dirt
to stay in your bearings and bushings or dissolve and flow out. That's
how I see it.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The detergent allows the oil to absorb humidity, which will damage the
berrings.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT"
wrote in message ...

I always use 10-30 in my oil can with a table spoon of STP oil
additive.
I never heard of a motor dying from detergent oil. Do you want the
dirt
to stay in your bearings and bushings or dissolve and flow out. That's
how I see it.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The detergent allows the oil to absorb humidity, which will damage the
berrings.

I haven't damaged any in 50 years.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2010 2:24 PM, J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

Someone has already mentioned the turbine oil in the plastic bottle with
the pull out spout. It can be found at just about any appliance
parts store, HVAC, electric motor or industrial supply house. What
I've seen comes in SAE-10 and SAE-20 weight. 3-IN-ONE produces a
special SAE-20 blend for electric motors larger than 1/4 HP.

http://www.shopwiki.com/Zoom+Spout+Oil

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...aspx?SKU=10705

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on
the label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

No. I'd use either some 3 in 1 brand 20 weight motor oil or some
"zoomspout" turbine oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message
A decal on my furnace blower seemed to say the motor was permanently
lubricated. The other day I got my head a little lower and saw a second
decal saying it should be lubricated every couple of years with 20W
nondetergent oil.

I think 3-in-1 is like that, but I can't find my can. I did find a
4-ounce container of Marvel Lubricating Oil. Among the uses listed on the
label is "small electric motors."

Small is relative. Would Marvel Lubricating Oil be good for a furnace
blower?

I had not read all the replies so my thoughts are what I always use on
motors. Turbine Oil. That is what the utility company I worked for used. I
leaves NO residue as it is used. WalMart did have in a pull spout container.
I also use on shop router bearings. WW