Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Need Baby Bird Help

I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees that
have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to fly but
can't. What should I do? Any ideas on food to set out or water???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 3:02*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees that
have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to fly but
can't. *What should I do? *Any ideas on food to set out or water???

Any water you put out should be in a very shallow container like a saucer so
the little guy won't drown in it. *He doesn't know how to drink anyway.

Touching the bird is the last thing you want to do. *Your smell may cause
his mother to desert him.

More than likely you are just going to have to learn to allow nature to take
its course.

Should you choose to ignore that advice there is an bird cereal that you can
buy in powered form. *Mixes up a lot like baby oatmeal.
We tried more than once for the sake of the kids when they were little.
Never saved a single one.

Robins like pre-chewed worms. *Make a video of that one for me.

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

A bird-knowledgeable neighbor picked the bird up using a plastic bag
and moved it away from the edge lf the lawn, it was only 2 feet from
the stree, having hopped about 20 feet toward the street since it is
downllhill in that direction. We'll see what happens next. I think
the parents are robins.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be good with batter, deep fried?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees that
have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to fly but
can't. What should I do? Any ideas on food to set out or water???

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
hr(bob) typed:
On May 22, 3:02 pm, "Colbyt"
wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

[...]

Call the nearest humane center or SPCA. They can refer you to the proper
authority which will pick up the baby bird and have it placed with
experienced, recognized experts whose job it is to get the animal healthy,
back on its feet and be releaed back into the wild.
Never try to do it yourself unless you've been schooled in such things.
The biggest problem is having a youngster imprint on you as a "parent" and
when (not IF, even if you successfully make a pet of it) it's gotten back to
the wild it will have a very short life indeed. IMproperly raised
youngsters do not imprint properly, often don't have any way to learn how to
find food and some experience very painful, terrible deaths because someone
tried to help them. Honest; if you doubt me, there are lots of internet
sites you can find about this subject. Just make sure they were written by
authorized, recognized organizations, that's all.
In our area both the dog warden and SPCA can take such things and find
fostering for them. We have no local Humane Society, unfortunately; very
rural here. It works well; they even invite you to the event of letting the
animal go in the end if you wish it.
--
Regards,

Tom1

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
hr(bob)
wrote:
I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees that
have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to fly but
can't. What should I do? Any ideas on food to set out or water???

When we found a baby bird, our vet told me to put some fish cat food
in a blender with a little water. Feed the soupy stuff to the bird
with an eye dropper. This was a tiny bird, just beginning to get
feathers. Didn't survive. Another time, we had two ducklings. Fed
same stuff, one survived, one didn't. The survivor was not accepted
by other ducks in large flock, and he thought my husband and I were
his parents.

Let me guess, the duck walked around screaming AFLAK!

TDD

No, but it was pretty wierd ) Raising a duck indoors is not something
I recommend. They poop every 4 minutes. Our schnauzer helped supervise
the duck...used to round it up if it began wandering. Took schnauzer to
be groomed one day and he came home with the usual bandanna around his
neck and went straight to his food bowl. Schnauzer standing in the
kitchen munching his dog chow and the duck started walking back and
forth under the dog's belly. Schnauzer still intent on dinner, duck
starts picking chow crumbs from the dog's whiskers. I was too
fascinated to stop the silly duck. After cleaning the dog's whiskers,
the duck apparently thought he had earned some dog chows, too, so he
grabbed one from the dog bowl. Wrong move...the dog barked him away and
I grabbed the duck because the dog chow was halfway down his skinny neck
(like the birds in Bugs Bunny cartoons)...just squeezed his neck to push
the chow back up and out.

As soon as we got the pair of ducks, we put a mirror in their box so
they would know they were ducks but that didn't work...the surviving
duck followed my husband and I like he was trained to do so ) When it
came time he was almost ready to fly, we took him down to the lake where
there were large flocks. Turned him loose, but as soon as he approached
any of the groups of ducks, they took off for the water and he ran back
to us. Tried that a few times, with same result. When last seen, he
was put in his box for the night in the back yard...he either flew away
or became a cat snack. Probably the latter, but no signs of his demise
were found.

The schnauzer had killed a house mouse when he was only 6 mos old, but
never threatened other animals. Kids brought a baby bunny into the
house one evening...three kids and a dog in the bedroom, door closed.
When it was too quiet for too long...couple of hours?...I went to
investigate. They were all playing with the rabbit.

It was pretty funny to watch him with a tiny baby garter snake. He
would crouch down and approach and the goofy garter snake coiled up like
a cobra ready to strike. Dog barked like mad and backed away. That
went on for several minutes until the dog lost interest and the snake
crawled away.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:09:53 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:02:48 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"hr(bob)
" wrote in message
[...]

I used to work for the humane society and we often got wild birds
brought to us. The best thing is to put them back in the nest if you
can do it safely. Sometimes the parents kick out the weak birds if
there are too many in the nest, or that one happens to be weak. It's
just nature.

PBS is showing an hour on Nature about new-borns. It showed storks, I
think it was, who were killed by their mother when there wasn't enough
food. Although it looked like a harsher environment than most of the
US.

It's a wivestale aboput touching them. You CAN touch them (gently of
course).

Yea, keep cats away. Get your cats and neighbors to put cats in the
house.

Birds eat worms, you can buy them at pet supply stores. (Meal worms).
Some birds will eat grains, and even small bits of grapes. It depends
on the type of bird. Again, the pet store should have cereals and
stuff for them as well as seed. This one is probably too young for
seed. And they need water too, place water in an eye dropper, hold it
against the tip of the beak and they should drink it. (dont get it in
their nostrils or you'll drown em).

Not all animals have their throat connected to their windpipe, is that
correct? So they can only breath through their nose and only eat
through their mouth.

Is it birds in general that imprint? I only remember hearing this
about ducks. And doesn't it have to be the first thing they see
after getting out of the egg? Wouldn't this chick have already seen
its mother, and imprinted on her?

You need to feed about every 2
hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
hr(bob) typed:

[...]

OK,forgive me for being a callous lout but ----- it's a frigging bird!!!
Leave it alone and let nature take its course. Calling the Humane Society,
expending money, energy and effort for the sake of one small baby bird is
assinine and a sign of one of the many things wrong in our society.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might be good with batter, deep fried?

Not enough meat. Use it as bait to catch a cat, then you can get a meal
from it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 May 2010 19:56:51 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might be good with batter, deep fried?

Not enough meat. Use it as bait to catch a cat, then you can get a meal
from it.

Welcome to Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 22 May 2010 20:02:26 -0400, "
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
hr(bob)
wrote:
[...]

Interesting stories. I used to think that when we could talk to
chimpanzees, they would tell us what the other animals were thinking.
Oh, well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's a good use of resources.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might be good with batter, deep fried?

Not enough meat. Use it as bait to catch a cat, then you can get a
meal
from it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

If people spent this much energy on baby humans, the world would be a
better place. It does seem like a waste of energy for one bird.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

OK,forgive me for being a callous lout but ----- it's a frigging
bird!!! Leave it alone and let nature take its course. Calling the
Humane Society, expending money, energy and effort for the sake of
one
small baby bird is assinine and a sign of one of the many things
wrong
in our society.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If people spent this much energy on baby humans, the world would be a
better place. It does seem like a waste of energy for one bird.

People relate to ONE creature or human in distress. They can see it and
hear it, or if reported in the media, imagine doing so. When it is
hundreds or thousands in distress, not so much. People just can't wrap
their heads around it. That is why charities like 'save the children',
et al, spotlight ONE kid in the ad.

Pretty much every time the media reports on a person in distress, the
checks and offers start rolling in. But when they report on a large
problem that will take an ongoing effort to solve, not.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
If people spent this much energy on baby humans, the world would be a
better place. It does seem like a waste of energy for one bird.

People relate to ONE creature or human in distress. They can see it and
hear it, or if reported in the media, imagine doing so. When it is
hundreds or thousands in distress, not so much. People just can't wrap
their heads around it. That is why charities like 'save the children',
et al, spotlight ONE kid in the ad.

Pretty much every time the media reports on a person in distress, the
checks and offers start rolling in. But when they report on a large
problem that will take an ongoing effort to solve, not.

I know people who truly care more about animals than they do humans.
Let 'em. It's a free country. The humane societies do great work, and
have volunteers of all kinds. West Florida has a bird sanctuary that
rescues and rehabs thousands of birds, including bald eagles. When birds
cannot be returned to the wild, they use them for "educational"
exhibits. There is nothing "educational" about a crippled bird in a
cage...a good photo would be as educational. I really hate that
practice, but that's me. The sanctuary relies on volunteers and does
good work to undo harm done by humans...a lot of trash in the gulf ends
up harming animals and it is impossible to go anywhere along the shore
and not see human junk.

If the right-to-life folks quit picketing clinics and staging marches,
they might have time to use in helping children. How 'bout people on
death row who are proven innocent...guess when yer larger than a teabag
yer right-to-life goes away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pardon the top posting but I want to keep continuity.

Baby humans are the woman's "choice".

Sadly many of those who lament this poor bird would abort without thought.

That I think says more about the state of modern society than anything else.

Colbyt

.

OK,forgive me for being a callous lout but ----- it's a frigging
bird!!! Leave it alone and let nature take its course. Calling the
Humane Society, expending money, energy and effort for the sake of
one
small baby bird is assinine and a sign of one of the many things
wrong
in our society.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-23, dadiOH wrote:

No, not caring is assinine(sic) and a sign of one of the many things wrong
in our society.

Caring or not caring is not the same as doing what's best for the
bird.

Earlier this Spring, we had a very young owl crash into one of our
windows and knock it self senseless. I heard the loud thunk on the
window and knew what it was and went out onto our deck in investigate.
Sure enough, a little owl was sitting upright on the deck, but barely
moving and all hunkered down like it was roosting. I came back
inside and watched it through the window, all the while considering my
options.

What should I do? Bring it in and attempt to nurse it back to health?
Take it to an animal shelter? Just wait and see? I waited about 5
mins more and went back out on the deck. The owl had not moved, but
was still upright and could move it's head around. I went back inside
and began to search the internet for information on how to grab/handle a
bird without harming it. About 5 mins later, I went back out onto the
deck to check the bird. It looked up at me, immediately jumped up,
and flew away to a tree about 50 yards away, apparently no worse the
wear for its mishap. Whew!

Sometimes it's better to let nature take its course.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
hr(bob)
wrote:
I just found a baby bird in our driveway under a couple of trees
that have nests in them. Bird can walk - sort of - and tries to
fly but can't. What should I do? Any ideas on food to set out or
water???
When we found a baby bird, our vet told me to put some fish cat food
in a blender with a little water. Feed the soupy stuff to the bird
with an eye dropper. This was a tiny bird, just beginning to get
feathers. Didn't survive. Another time, we had two ducklings. Fed
same stuff, one survived, one didn't. The survivor was not accepted
by other ducks in large flock, and he thought my husband and I were
his parents.
Let me guess, the duck walked around screaming AFLAK!

TDD

No, but it was pretty wierd ) Raising a duck indoors is not
something I recommend. They poop every 4 minutes.

LOL.

We have raised a bunch of baby Muscovy ducks that were orphaned for one
reason or another... 29 all told, over the last four years.

The most at one time was this past 12 months, one group of 6, another of 16
that were a month younger. Once they were big enough to go outside they
did, returning to a walled garden at night where they slept on a lanai. Can
you imagine the quantity of poop that 22 ducks can expel overnight??? I had
to buy a pressure washer.
_____________

As soon as we got the pair of ducks, we put a mirror in their box so
they would know they were ducks but that didn't work...the surviving
duck followed my husband and I like he was trained to do so ) When
it came time he was almost ready to fly, we took him down to the lake
where there were large flocks. Turned him loose, but as soon as he
approached any of the groups of ducks, they took off for the water
and he ran back to us. Tried that a few times, with same result. When
last seen, he was put in his box for the night in the back
yard...he either flew away or became a cat snack. Probably the
latter, but no signs of his demise were found.

All our ducks eventually left for an area across the lake I call "Ducktown".
The females are good fliers at about 3 months, most left by the time they
were 4 months old though one stayed more than a year. The males are a bit
slower at flying, generally leave between 7 and 11 months. One stayed
almost 3 years (he was in love with my wife but hated the dog). Several
come back from time to time; at the moment, 3 from last summer do, sometimes
bringing other wild ducks with them.

Ducks are neat critters.

You're a real quack!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
clipped

Ducks are neat critters.

They are **** machines ) Some waterfronts are overpopulated because
people feed them year around....same with geese and gulls. They become
pests. When we fish from our dock, there may not be a bird in sight
when we go out...get the hook baited and in the water and great blue
heron and egrets show up. They are real beggars and wait around for
free meals. Gulls are nasty ... they can divebomb and grab a cookie
from a toddler's hand without touching the hand. Had a gull swoop down
and steal the hot dog out of the bun I was holding one day at the beach.
They don't call them "laughing gulls" for nothing )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/23/2010 08:15 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Doug Brown wrote:

OK,forgive me for being a callous lout but ----- it's a frigging
bird!!! Leave it alone and let nature take its course. Calling the
Humane Society, expending money, energy and effort for the sake of
one small baby bird is assinine and a sign of one of the many things
wrong in our society.

No, not caring is assinine(sic) and a sign of one of the many things wrong
in our society.

It's possible to care and feel compassion and still take a realistic
attitude toward the whole thing. Which is a better use of resources,
spending one's time and energy on a baby bird, or, say, volunteering at
a job retraining program for the underprivileged?

Obviously, there's not a single "right" answer to that question, but the
sad truth is that you can't fix everything, no matter how hard you try.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

???

A baby bird that's fallen out of the nest is pretty much dead already no
matter what you do to/for it, unless you're a trained professional.
Heck, the parents might have smelled something "wrong" and pushed it
out. There's nothing wrong with trying to help it out, but the poor
little guy is most likely toast.

nate

The "smell" thing might be more urban legend than fact. There is a bald
eagle nest in my area, in residential area. Animal group had an orphan
eagle and placed it in this nest that had an adult pair with two
hatchlings. As the story goes, the adult pair will take an orphan into
their nest and raise it, but will push out a weaker baby. Ultimately,
the whole nest was destroyed - too big for the tree, I believe - and
haven't heard more about the outcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 23 May 2010 09:43:34 -0400, "
wrote:

clipped

???

A baby bird that's fallen out of the nest is pretty much dead already no
matter what you do to/for it, unless you're a trained professional.
Heck, the parents might have smelled something "wrong" and pushed it
out. There's nothing wrong with trying to help it out, but the poor
little guy is most likely toast.

nate

The "smell" thing might be more urban legend than fact. There is a bald
eagle nest in my area, in residential area. Animal group had an orphan
eagle and placed it in this nest that had an adult pair with two
hatchlings. As the story goes, the adult pair will take an orphan into
their nest and raise it, but will push out a weaker baby. Ultimately,
the whole nest was destroyed - too big for the tree, I believe - and
haven't heard more about the outcome.

They built a nest that was too big for the tree! Are there no bigger
trees around?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2010 09:43:34 -0400, "
wrote:

clipped
???

[...]

I believe they use the same nest for a long time...this is a residential
back yard, so is somewhat private.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-23, Stormin Mormon wrote:

OK if I come over, and poop on your truck?

Only if you rain on my parade when your done.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Brown" wrote in
el:

"Twayne" wrote in message
In

, hr(bob) typed:

[...]

for the sake of one
small baby bird

Yet they wouldn't do squat for a callous lout in a ditch in the middle of
nowhere...I mean, wtf? It's only one crummy carbon unit of 6 billion
anyway.